Transmission leak. big time!!!

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So I was on the highway today and all of a sudden I saw bluish color smoke coming out from the back of the car. I immediately pulled over the car and turned the engine off

When I got out of the car, I realized that the transmission fluid was leaking under the car and I think all transmission fluid got out for some reason

This is a 2009 Auto 1.6 engine toyota yaris in the USA. I bought the car with a clean car fax. but later on I learned that the transmission has been replaced. I bought the car on 2010 and when I bought, it had 16K miles now it has 60K miles. Bought it for 10K+tax.

Do you think my tranmission is gone or is it just leaking? There were no problems no noise no low performance of any kind. 

How much would it cost to replace? or should I get a rebuild one?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The first Geo Metro had a three-cylinder 55hp engine. It was like a big scooter with extra wheels.  Some were monster tr... (more)

DTASFAB (Aug. 27, 2016 @ 6:29a) |

It was floored and still had to cut a/c to get it up the hills,  Started at max speed and was doing 20 or less when I to... (more)

Mickie3 (Aug. 27, 2016 @ 12:14p) |

I thought my "mail the kids to grandma" post was FWF relevant, but I guess not:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/off-topi... (more)

tuphat (Aug. 27, 2016 @ 12:35p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Have you asked these questions to someone who knows transmissions before asking internet strangers or consulted the Goog?

There is no "getting" a rebuilt transmission. They rebuild the one you have right now. No one here can tell you whether the transmission is gone or just leaking. You need to have it towed and checked out. Cost to rebuild transmission could cost you $1500-$2500. FYI.

How do you know it's transmission fluid and not engine oil? If all the trans fluid leaked out, you wouldn't have made it far.

DaGimp said:   How do you know it's transmission fluid and not engine oil? If all the trans fluid leaked out, you wouldn't have made it far.
  the fluid was all in red color. I had the card towed to my house

Someone will look at it tomorrow morning. Since too much fluid came out I am guessing it is not a leak rather transmission broken

fleetwoodmac said:   Do you think my tranmission is gone or is it just leaking? 

what shade of blue?

Could just be transmission line

Bluish? sounds more like OP just cracked his engine.

Got to a mechanic. We are not your butlers.

Jeez, when I make a post about something that has nothing to do with finance, the mods pull it in a heartbeat.

scoutconnor said:   Have you asked these questions to someone who knows transmissions before asking internet strangers or consulted the Goog?
  Yes, I am splitting hairs, but you are incorrect. If your transmission is shot beyond repair and can not be rebuilt, it CAN be replaced with a rebuilt unit. Very common, actually.

This is finance related because we all know that blue smoke is the expensive smoke. It's best to keep that smoke in the car. Once that smoke gets out it's very expensive to put it back in. Again, what shade of blue?

Why all the !!!!!!

have you checked the transmission fluid level? Here is an article you might be interested in: http://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/10-common-transmissio...

Be aware that a tiny amount of oil or transmission fluid getting onto your exhaust pipes can create a huge amount of smoke.

check all of your fluid levels and see which is low. Sometimes you can save money by simply adding more oil or transmission fluid, then driving home rather than paying for a tow truck.

If it is your transmission leaking, it is most likely the seals in the torque converter that have failed. Any transmission place can fix this as it is a pretty common problem. Automatic transmissions should easily last much longer than 60,000 miles with minimal care.

Don't start the car up at your house or it may burn down your house.  The last I read, you haven't purchased homeowners insurance yet......

go to www.toyotanation.com and post your question there. You can tell the difference in knowledge and advice you get versus here. 
My camry has a rebuilt transmission. It failed at around 85K (just after the warranty is over) and cost me $1,400 to fix. It's been problem free now. I have about 220K miles and still keep going until I get Tesla 3 few years later. 

The fluid should be pink. Take out the dipstick and see if there's any fluid there. It might be just as easy as replacing the washer and the drain bolt for transmission pan. I recently swapped out 4qt of transmission fluid and it's been leaking a bit of transmission fluid ever since. You always have to replace washers on drain bolts. There are 2 drain bolts, one for engine oil pan and another one for transmission oil pan. I am waiting for mine to come in from 

aliexpress

momoman said:   Don't start the car up at your house or it may burn down your house.  The last I read, you haven't purchased homeowners insurance yet......Yep, no homeowners insurance and driving an 8 year old Yaris that needs a transmission.

fleetwoodmac said:   So I was on the highway today and all of a sudden I saw bluish color smoke coming out from the back of the car. I immediately pulled over the car and turned the engine off

Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac

Was it slipping before you stopped ?

My Toyota uses a red coolant, so it might not even be transmission fluid you are seeing. A coolant leak could also fit with the blue smoke.

four-oh-four
Disclaimer
Wrong forum. You want to repost this in 
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/autorepair

LordKronos said:   Wrong forum. You want to repost this in 

link is not working

Please check links before you post

I did check, and I assure you it is an equally valid place to post this question.

Link still not working.

fleetwoodmac said:   
LordKronos said:   Wrong forum. You want to repost this in 

link is not working

Please check links before you post

LordKronos was clearly making a joke since FWF is not a car repair forum, and FatWallet does not have an autorepair forum.  I would heed most others advice: post on a car, or more specifically, a Toyota Car forum.

Next time buy a Crown Vic, Bub King warrants that tranny 4 life

If you have comprehensive coverage, you may be able to file a claim with auto insurance if it is not due to normal wear and tear, abuse, neglected maintenance, etc. Maybe something hit your car underneath and caused all the fluid to leak out.

Well, what happened?  As pointed out, it could be coolant.  A big puddle under the car just after you shut it off generally means a failure of the thermostat.  Cheap fix if this is the cause.

I hate when folks vanish like this. I want to know if it really was transmission leak or something else.

My mechanic told me transmission gone bad and needs to be changed

It will cost me $1400 for labour plus automatic used transmission with 70k miles on it

So you might buy a transmission with more miles on it than your original one did when it failed. A used one may have been poorly maintained or had rough miles. As someone who had a transmission rebuilt on a 10 year old Honda in college that then failed for a second time, I would personally consider walking away at this point.

I am going to post irrefutable logic for you people
All questions about how people should spend their money involve finances.
All questions about car trouble and transmission repair involve questions about how people should spend their money.
Therefore: All questions about car trouble and transmission repair involve finances.

Prove me wrong!!  I dare you.  Don't waste your time.  I am the smartest!

rebuilt cost about 1k
junk yard 70k+ miles  =$$$$$ in the end

lonestarguy said:   So you might buy a transmission with more miles on it than your original one did when it failed. A used one may have been poorly maintained or had rough miles. As someone who had a transmission rebuilt on a 10 year old Honda in college that then failed for a second time, I would personally consider walking away at this point.
  That is why I will sell the car right after it is fixed

fleetwoodmac said:   My mechanic told me transmission gone bad and needs to be changed

It will cost me $1400 for labour plus automatic used transmission with 70k miles on it

Check on Craigslist under auto services and I'm sure you can find people who will swap it out for $200 or $300 plus a case of beer. Can you read Spanish?

atikovi said:   
fleetwoodmac said:   My mechanic told me transmission gone bad and needs to be changed

Check on Craigslist under auto services and I'm sure you can find people who will swap it out for $200 or $300 plus a case of beer. Can you read Spanish?

1400 includes everything

fleetwoodmac said:   
atikovi said:   

1400 includes everything

You just said 1400 PLUS the transmission.

Have you fixed the car yet?  Seriously, Google "transmission lost all fluid while driving" and you'll see that others had a hose rupture and lost all the fluid, but there was no serious damage after they repaired the hose and refilled the tranny with fresh fluid.  I'd try that route even if the mechanic said the transmission needs to be changed.  If the tranny was working fine before the fluid leak the solution may be as simple as finding where the leak is and fixing the leak.  There are lots of people in the trades that recommend more than what may be necessary.  I would try another mechanic.  

Had a Toyota Yaris for a rental once (around 2010). It is the only automatic transmission equipped vehicle that I have ever stalled out. I was at a stop sign going up a hill. Stopped. Then, when I lifted off the brake to give it some gas, it stalled out. Never had that happen before, or after.

I wonder if you ended up buying your Yaris from the rental car company.

Skipping 18 Messages...
I thought my "mail the kids to grandma" post was FWF relevant, but I guess not:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/off-topic/1523028/?showmessage=...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017