$100 Bonus: CCCU (Deposit $100 into Free Checking) Easy Membership

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Account Type: Free Checking or Checking Plus

Availability: California(L.A area). However, anyone can join if a member of a Christian church.

Expiration Date: None

Hard Inquiry: No, only Soft Pull (Chex Systems)

Opening Deposit: up to $500 with a credit card.

Direct Deposit Requirement: No

Monthly Fee: None with Free Checking. OR $10 monthly for Checking Plus (waived with $1500 balance). 

Additional Requirements: Sign up for eStatements.

Closing Account Fee: Must be open for at least 90 days, otherwise the bonus will be deducted from the closing balance.

*mycccu.com/checking*

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Received this from them...

"[7/20/2016 2:11:38 PM PDT] Christian Community Credit Union:Thank you for your interest in o... (more)

brettdacosta (Jul. 22, 2016 @ 8:56a) |

This is slightly off topic, but I have been unable to open an account online with PNC bank or Suntrust with a frozen cre... (more)

raceman73 (Jul. 22, 2016 @ 9:02a) |

Follow up response...  Looks like the OP is right...

"[7/22/2016 9:16:18 AM PDT] Christian Community Credit Union:Thank y... (more)

brettdacosta (Jul. 22, 2016 @ 11:26a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Note: Not NCUA insured but ASI insured
CCCU website said: Christian Community Credit Union is privately insured by American Share Insurance up to $250,000 per account. By members' choice the Credit Union is not federally insured, and if the Credit Union fails, the Federal Government does not guarantee that depositors will get back their money. Accounts with the Credit Union are not insured by any state government.

They also offer a "New Member Welcome Certificate". 18 months, 4% APY, $500 min., 2.5k max.

CD Max? CC funding ?

https://www.mycccu.com/ministry-savings

4.5% APY* New Ministry Member Welcome Certificate

Must be opened within 30 days of joining the credit union. At maturity, the certificate will renew into a 12-month term share certificate at the prevailing rate. A penalty will be imposed on early withdrawals from certificates.

7 months
$500 minimum
$10,000 maximum per member
One certificate per new ministry
*APY= Annual Percentage Yield. $500 minimum. Annual Percentage Yield (APYs) assumes that dividends remain in the account until maturity. A withdrawal will reduce earnings. No additional deposits can be made during the term of the Share Certificate. Rates, terms and conditions are solely within the discretion of the Board of Directors. We may limit the amount you may invest in one or more accounts to a total of $1,000,000. APYs are accurate as of 5/28/2016 and are subject to change without notice.

Did their CD when it was $5k @ 5% for a year. Now, Meh. I will sign up for checking when eligible for bonus again.

Ok, what's the eligibility difference between the 18 mo/4.5%/$2.5k "new member" CD and the 7 mo/4.5%/$10k "new MINISTRY member" CD?

And the direct deposit requirement funded by CC----will I be charged a cash advance?

Site states...
Christian Community Credit Union is privately insured by American Share Insurance up to $250,000 per account. By members' choice the Credit Union is not federally insured, and if the Credit Union fails, the Federal Government does not guarantee that depositors will get back their money. Accounts with the Credit Union are not insured by any state government.

Not even NCIU?

ASI site states... AmericanShare.comis getting an update!  Continue to our current site and come back soon to see our new look.http://www.americanshare.com/

basil25mint said:   And the direct deposit requirement funded by CC----will I be charged a cash advance?
  You can use a CC to fund the initial deposit, but not for any direct deposit requirements.  Cash advance charges vary by bank and card, but 80-90% of the time they post as purchases.  There are lists on DofC, but no datapoints for CCCU at this time.

I did a $5k CD @5% APY with them previously. There was no problem in getting my interest & closing CD after a year.

can you fund the CD for $10,000 with a credit card?

hanemu said:   Availability: California(L.A area). However, anyone can join if a member of a Christian church.

The Catholic church is not listed on the signup form.  Apparently Catholics don't count as Christians anymore?  I had to fabricate a membership with a local church that I've never even attended.  They do ask for the name of your church so have one ready.  All apps seem to be manually reviewed, but I doubt my deceit will be discovered.  I may go to the "bad place" later on though.

So, hypothetically, if it fails, we MAY get our money back, but it is NOT guaranteed? I know if they are insured via the NCUA, that's not an issue.

wyle1 said:   Ok, what's the eligibility difference between the 18 mo/4.5%/$2.5k "new member" CD and the 7 mo/4.5%/$10k "new MINISTRY member" CD?
  +1

CC funding?

irate_retro said:   
hanemu said:   Availability: California(L.A area). However, anyone can join if a member of a Christian church.

The Catholic church is not listed on the signup form.  Apparently Catholics don't count as Christians anymore?  I had to fabricate a membership with a local church that I've never even attended.  They do ask for the name of your church so have one ready.  All apps seem to be manually reviewed, but I doubt my deceit will be discovered.  I may go to the "bad place" later on though.

can non CA residents if they've been to a CA church ?

Doctor of Credit mentioned this offer some months/year ago @ http://www.doctorofcredit.com/must-be-a-member-of-a-christian-mi... 

Note they scrutinize applicants and require proof of church membership

They do check membership or attendance at an "approved" church. Not all Christian denominations are accepted.

irate_retro said:   

As I recall from last year, they did send me an email saying my church membership had been verified (during the application phase).  YMMV.

When they show up on Tuesday to a few hundred applications, they're not going to be approving them.

can non CA residents apply?

I tried signing up for this many moons ago and they called the church I put in the application to verify that they knew me. If they say no then they requested something in writing on the church letterhead stating you are a member of the church.

The OP makes it sound like you can be a resident of california OR a member of the church. Living in california (no church), I don't see any option to enroll.

massmedia said:   The OP makes it sound like you can be a resident of california OR a member of the church. Living in california (no church), I don't see any option to enroll.

For a modest donation of a few thousand dogecoins anyone may join my 1ST CHRUSTIAN CHURCH OF FATWALLET

PRAISE TEH LAWD!
DThFnYEuVyJx7ZYTdWtPVv8DEGzQ2vnJJM

I will by happy to provide attendance and donation records via PM.  

did any non CA residents apply?

Account opened and funded with $100 bonus within 3 weeks. Picked a random church.

Be sure to check your secure messages and upload scans of ID's within 30 days.

I jumped an offer from CCCU ~ 7 years ago. I remember it is $75 bonus for direct deposit into a checking account.
Whether I qualify for this offer?
Thanks!

What's to lose, aside from at most 2 month's worth of interest?
The $100-bonus was added to my total account balance immediately upon account opening, but excluded from the "Available Balance".

Opening the new members CD was also seamless; completed all online within 5 days, including trial deposit verification.

Even came with a biblical guide on money management---can't beat that!

Non-CA resident here.

I could not get an account. They could not verify my membership with my church and want a letterhead from them.

stehigs said:   I could not get an account. They could not verify my membership with my church and want a letterhead from them.

So where is the problem?  Just fax your church's letter to CCCU and you are all set.

Received this from them...

"[7/20/2016 2:11:38 PM PDT] Christian Community Credit Union:Thank you for your interest in opening an account with Christian Community Credit Union. At this moment we are unable to continue with our verification process due to a freeze on your profile. Our ID verification reports are ran through Experian, so if you have placed a freeze or block on your credit profile we are unable to receive required information to proceed with the account opening process. Please contact the respective bureau or credit office to lift the freeze temporarily and please let us know once it's lifted so we may run the reports we need to proceed.

Should you have any questions, please contact us at 800.347.2228. We look forward to serving you."

Are we sure that the credit verification is through ChexSystem (soft pull) or is ChexSystem a service of Experian? Just want to make sure I don't use a hard pull for this?

Thanks,

This is slightly off topic, but I have been unable to open an account online with PNC bank or Suntrust with a frozen credit file. It keeps saying unexplained error or that it can't continue. Pretty sure my frozen credit file has something to do with that.

brettdacosta said:   Received this from them...

"[7/20/2016 2:11:38 PM PDT] Christian Community Credit Union:Thank you for your interest in opening an account with Christian Community Credit Union. At this moment we are unable to continue with our verification process due to a freeze on your profile. Our ID verification reports are ran through Experian, so if you have placed a freeze or block on your credit profile we are unable to receive required information to proceed with the account opening process. Please contact the respective bureau or credit office to lift the freeze temporarily and please let us know once it's lifted so we may run the reports we need to proceed.

Should you have any questions, please contact us at 800.347.2228. We look forward to serving you."

Are we sure that the credit verification is through ChexSystem (soft pull) or is ChexSystem a service of Experian?  Just want to make sure I don't use a hard pull for this?

Thanks,

Follow up response...  Looks like the OP is right...

"[7/22/2016 9:16:18 AM PDT] Christian Community Credit Union:Thank you for your message. We actually do not run credit verification, however as previously mentioned our ID verification reports are ran through Experian which is the reason why if you have a block/freeze on your profile we aren't able to access the information needed to proceed. Also our inquiry will show as a soft check as we do not pull credit report.

Should you have any other questions, please contact us at 800.347.2228. We look forward to serving you."

Just wanted to keep the record accurate.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017