Consolidating Staples Purchased Visa and MasterCard Gift Cards into a Single Gift Card at WalMart

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've got some Visa and MC GiftCards that I'd like to consolidate to a single Gift Card of very large size (maybe $1500) for use online for a purchase

i've seen in Staples Threads where people were consolidating them at WalMart.  So I don't hijack a Staples thread for my question, I made this thread.

1) What is cheapest option to do this ?
2) I know I need a terminal with a yellow left facing arrow and great button  pushing timing.  If I miss the timing, is it a matter of a re-swipe or is the effort to use more GC as payment done sooner than wanted?
3) I need confirmation that I can create a single large GC out of maybe 10 or more GC and that what WalMart sells can be used to make online purchases. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You had luck at the post office? I've tried that (running it as debit) and the system somehow knew what I was trying to... (more)

DTASFAB (Jul. 21, 2016 @ 6:57p) |

Potentially

This was on their newest software, which they upgraded a year or so ago.

I don't know how to describe the diff... (more)

MsMorrisine (Jul. 25, 2016 @ 7:51a) |

I'm going to try at the post office soon. WM didn't work for me the other day.

Are BB and Serve completely dead?

DTASFAB (Aug. 16, 2016 @ 2:45p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you are buying another GC, simply swipe each card ... MC GC will process as "credit", so no magic button/quick finger necessary.  Note that you may need to tell the cashier the $ value for each card that you are swiping.

As always, YMMV:

1) Do they accept Visa/MC gift cards as payment for the type of GC you are buying?
2) Do they set a $ limit per transaction?
3) Is the cashier willing to "split tender"?
4) Does the cashier have a clue how to process the transaction?
5), 6), 7), 8), 9), 10) ????

Buy a Reloadable WM Store GC.  According to most reviews, it cannot be re-loaded on-line (only in-store), although one reviewer stated that it was reloadable on-line for 1 year (then abruptly stopped being reloadable that way).

If attempting to consolidate all of your Visa/MC's as a single purchase transaction (split across multiple payments) becomes too complicated for your WM cashier, do it as separate transactions, 1 per Visa/MC GC. There shouldn't be any service fees for buying a WM store GC or for adding funds to it. Once the WM GC is loaded w/ funds, you should be able to use that WM GC for on-line (wm.com) purchases.

Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part:

I was looking to buy a Gift Card (Visa / MC / Amex / Other?????) that I could use at any online site.

A WalMart or other store Specific card won't do.

Most (maybe all?) registers will automatically drain the balance of a prepaid GC to $0, letting you drain multiple cards (most likely a limited number) in a single transaction.
Whether the store policy, the register, or the cashier allow you to do this is another story, because it looks exactly like money laundering.
You're supposed to figure out these things BEFORE you buy a bunch of $100 GCs

I have multiple ideas going on.

If not this, there are other ideas. But this is by far idea #1 and it's a newer idea.

The longer term WalMart employees know my face. I joke around with them a lot. I think they'll trust me.

MsMorrisine said:   Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part:

I was looking to buy a Gift Card (Visa / MC / Amex / Other?????) that I could use at any online site.

A WalMart or other store Specific card won't do.

Get a Bluebird or WalMart GreenDot prepaid card.  Free reloads in store.  Any other options sold at WalMart only allow for a $500 max load/balance, which doesn't solve your problem.

Glitch99 said:   
MsMorrisine said:   Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part:

A WalMart or other store Specific card won't do.

Get a Bluebird or WalMart GreenDot prepaid card.  Free reloads in store.  Any other options sold at WalMart only allow for a $500 max load/balance, which doesn't solve your problem.

And WM allows a maximum of four swipes per transaction, so if you have more than four cards, you couldn't do them all at once anyway.

I'd get a temporary Amex Serve card which IIRC you can load with $500 initially and another $1000 without registering it, load it for the initial $500 where I buy it (Safeway, CVS, Office Max, ?), and then go to WalMart and load another $1K. If you're a Safeway J4U member you can even $5 off right now.

I see the instructions in another thread stating the need to change payment type when using prepaid GC.

Once swiped and the payment changed, is there need for a PIN? I got WMT people telling me these GC can't be used on their WMT money cards, only debit. But debit needs a PIN, right?

edit: Got the PIN thing worked out

OK.

Got the PIN part worked out

WMT sell a blue WMT logo "WMT Cash Card" & it says it is issued by green dot -

is that what we are talking about when we are saying get a greendot?

Is there any reason why you dont want to spend 70c and just get a MO.

Use your regular CC for online purchases (instead of the "consolidated GC) --- you can earn cashback, get other perks of the program (e.g., better protection in case of fraudulent transaction, purchase protection etc.)

The CC transaction would be much more scrutinized by the other half

BTW,

for the first time, my local SPLS had a LOT of MC GCs where the backs were open. (step #1 in MC GC fraud)

I'm going to have to do this week's SPLS deal at a different SPLS.

This is getting bad, in a bad way.

Step 1) WMT - buy card. cust. serv. doesn't know how to take partial payment with even 1 card. I gave them $1 for the fee and told them to put 1 GC worth on.  Success, card bought with 1 GC worth on.

Step 2) - Register - here is where it went terminal. Apparently, I'm not recognized as a valid citizen by their system.
part a) the system takes all my detail and when I submit it asks me to check my name and SSN. I did. everything was right.
part b) I resubmit - it appears to take it.
part c) it then finalizes the process by saying that:
== part 1) I am not recognized
== part 2) I can't get a permanent card
== part 3) I can't reload it, load it, or anything else. Use it or lose it.

so, Step 3) call to complain and see if they can verify me over the phone
part a) their system already knows I am a non-citizen and tells me use it or lose it.
part b) their phone drones also tell me they can't verify me and "the deactivation process has already started, and there is nothing that can be done."
part c) I was happily given the option to receive a check. Through the heavy noise on their end I managed to get the person who understood almost no question the first time to tell me I could receive a check for the load amount, but not the $1 buy fee.

So, I take a check. It should be here in a "3-4 weeks"

great.

And, I went to 2 other SPLS and a LOT of their MC had the back tabs removed.

I tried the old GC buy with SPLS GC. The cashier asked "what is this?" I said that's what I'm paying with. The cashier goes to ask a grey shirt if it is ok. Oh no. I overhear and no mention of GC to buy GC. So, all is good, right? No. The grey shirt declined the printed SPLS GC on the basis that "they have to have the actual physical card there." WTF! Ok, later.

SPLS #2 had about half of their few remaining MC GC with the backs torn off. One cashier said they get a lot of out of state GC fraud and they look at ID and decline large GC purchases from out of state (Ummm.... check id before scanning, hello?).

Anyway, I'm stuck with plans E-Q.

spend the stupid cards on other things.

I would consider a WMT Money Order at this point, but honestly, after today's experience, I don't think any WMT cashier knows how to ring up a MO purchased with multiple GC. I know why people want to find kiosks to reload these things now. The avoidance of a cashier is not to hide activities, it's that they plain do not know what they are doing. My local WMT insisted the GC couldn't buy the WMT moneycard. The second one I went into, I was able to do it, but it was with just one GC instead of the multiple I wanted to try. I guess this is good if I'm waiting "3-4 weeks" for a check.

I think I will call and bug WMT again, just for good measure.

Wait, WM accepts multiple prepaid Visa pin-based debit gift cards as payment for MG money orders??? 

uh... yes?

where have you been?

I'm so dumb 

DTASFAB said:   Wait, WM accepts multiple prepaid Visa pin-based debit gift cards as payment for MG money orders??? YMMV. Some don't accept debit cards unless your name is embossed on the card. And some don't allow multiple GCs in a single transaction.

Sounds like a lot of effort for little reward. I would just charge $1500 on credit card and drain the smaller cards wirh utility bills.

The effort was to hide a purchase from the other half. So, I wanted a single card with a big balance I could use.

Since WMT rejected me, I figured that Serve wasn't worth the trouble.

Then, as I was planning to just burn them on individual purchases I thought the other half might not mind the objectionable purchase so much if I deposited cash into the account. And the objection would also be lessened by the fact that all those GC I bought, I bought with GC I paid at 80%. So, that objectionable purchase was 20% off for me. :-D

Anyway, long story short. I went ahead and bought a WMT GC using the Visas. I found it impossible to be fast enough to change payment type for the MC GC. I Tried 2x at 2x different WMT. Failed.

So.... I found out that the PO will take these easy, you just pay more for the MO fee, but the transaction is WAY easier. I used 5 GC in 1 transaction. I don't know if the PO will do more.

And I saw on some sites that depositing lots of MO might raise eyebrows at the bank. For the case of a PO MO, if a PO has the cash on hand, they will also cash a PO MO. I didn't do that, but others could. Simply drive to a different PO branch and cash it.

As a side note:
1) I went in on the SPLS MC GC deal today (for this week)
2) I went to a different SPLS looking for a store with fewer cards with the back tab already removed.
3) Lots of $200 and only 1 had the back tab removed.
4) Only 1 of the $100 dozens upon dozens had the back tab.
but
note a) the manager pointed out that there were no perforations on them.
note b) So, they never came with a back tab (WTF!?!?)
note c) I did hesistantly buy the one with the back tab and burned it on a MO almost right away.

5) unlike at the other SPLS I went to yesterday, this manager had heard of the fraud. He took the ones with the perforations but no back tab off the shelf. So, excellent work for that manager.

So, I'm really scared of these new "no tab" cards. US Bank may finally have gotten a clue and changed up their numbering practices such that they aren't afraid of having no tab. This is a definite possibility. But, until I hear that the MC GC fraud has fallen off, I'll still be searching out stores with lots of MC GC with back tabs that are in place and preferably no, (or at least few), that have been removed.

Also, in the future, I'll be going in on these MC GC deals, but they are going to get burned ASAP on a PO MO.

For those not in the know....
MC GC helpful tips
1) go online and immediately register it
2) there is a toll free number on the registration website to call to set a PIN. Call that number and set it.

Again, the fees at the PO were higher ($1.65 / $1000(max)) for the MO than WMT, but the transaction was SO much easier.

In fact, I had a little left on a Visa GC and tried to use it as partial payment at WMT today to kill the card and 2 different cashiers could not figure out how to do that! I had to go to a grocery store to burn it. Unreal.

If you have capable WMT cashiers at your WMT you have a blessing for getting MO, BillPay, and reloads. Wow, that's not me. It doesn't cost me much more at the PO, but this is FW.... I'm cheap. I want those cents difference.

Oh, and before I forget, I think what the freak out at WMT for the WMT money card is my address. I use a mail drop for everything. I think it balked because their system knew it was a mail drop. That's the only thing. Every letter and every number was correct.

So, my advice for future FW people with maildrops is to not even try buying a WMT money card. It'll likely flag you as a risk and refuse your business. (The local WMT know me by sight, they found the fraud flag odd themselves. They were nice enough to cash out my Visa GC as debit on a MO so I have to give them massive credit for that.(they didn't think it could be done so I had to talk them into it))

(and no money center express kiosk anywhere close to me either!)

You had luck at the post office? I've tried that (running it as debit) and the system somehow knew what I was trying to do and rejected it, even on a card I'd previously used as debit and had already established a pin. That was probably about a year ago. Should I try again?

Potentially

This was on their newest software, which they upgraded a year or so ago.

I don't know how to describe the difference so people know it's been upgraded, but this is question where it does not hurt to ask.

I'm going to try at the post office soon. WM didn't work for me the other day.

Are BB and Serve completely dead?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017