• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I was planning to put the Go Rewards CC into my rotation for the 3% at restaurant to replace my Citi Forward. Upon trying to setup automatic monthly payments with my confirmed external account, I encountered difficulty. When the from source is a NFCU checking account, you have the option to pay the statement balance monthly. When you change the source to an external account, it only allows you to use a set amount. After speaking with them, apparently this is how it's designed since "it sometimes takes 3+ days to traasfer funds and your current balance may be more by the time we receive funds". The CSR didn't really understand billing cycles and what a statement balance was.

So, is this really true, or is there a backdoor like a form I can fill out? Thank you!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

scottybweyy, I can confirm the problem. It seems to be an effort by NFCU to force one of their checking accounts on us.  Since I already have a half-dozen checking accounts , I wouldn't give in.  I tried to elevate the issue and explain how unusual their policy is when compared to other financial institutions.  No success... so my NFCU CC is in the sock drawer.

I moved my effort to trying to get USAA  to shift my credit line from a Cash Rewards card (up to 1.25% back) to a Preferred Cash Rewards card (flat 1.5%) back. They want me apply for a second, unnecessary CC instead of just shifting my credit line.  Ugh.  Wish me luck!

FatMoneyClip said:   scottybweyy, I can confirm the problem. It seems to be an effort by NFCU to force one of their checking accounts on us.  Since I already have a half-dozen checking accounts , I wouldn't give in.  I tried to elevate the issue and explain how unusual their policy is when compared to other financial institutions.  No success... so my NFCU CC is in the sock drawer.

I moved my effort to trying to get USAA  to shift my credit line from a Cash Rewards card (up to 1.25% back) to a Preferred Cash Rewards card (flat 1.5%) back. They want me apply for a second, unnecessary CC instead of just shifting my credit line.  Ugh.  Wish me luck!

Thanks for the response. It's frustrating and I do have a checking account with them. I just don't want to manage my automatic payments or keep too much in their low interest checking accounts. Now I need to find another restaurant CC to replace my Forward.

BTW a 13 yr old thread says USAA couldn't re-allocate...https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/237296. Good Luck though!

Try the Marvel MasterCard for 3% on dining.'

http://marvel.com/creditcard?siteCode=MCLAMOLP&cmpid=MCLAMOLP&Dc...

Or the AARP card from Chase. You don't have to be a geezer to get one.

https://creditcards.chase.com/aarp/cardmember/default

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017