• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Going to get solar and a new hvac system.  Total project will be about $30k.  Once I stopped crying, I confirmed that they will take split payments across as many CC's as I want.  So I want to maximize my miles and points opportunities.  I might as well get a free trip (or two) out of this. Both my wife and I have a credit score over 800 and I will pay them all off immediately.

Any recommendations on how to maximize the bonus points/miles?  I currently have an offer from AA for 50k miles after $3k spend so I'll do that one.  What else is good out there?

Thanks in advance.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Perfect time to do AOR for all the account opening bonuses that require minimum spend. Cash back % on transactions is not completely meaningless, but definitely a secondary concern.

Sorry I'm new at the game.  AOR is app-o-rama?  What's the best resource to consult the strategy?

Yes AOR is app-o-rama. I would use google to search for "new credit card signup bonus."

If I'm reading this right, if you are a new Discover cardmember, you could get 10% back for Hardware store purchases made before Sep 30.

5% bonus for their rotating categories, and it gets match after your first year of cardmembeship, new cardmembers only.

​Edited to add: Sorry, I keyed off the title "home improvements" and assumed you were spending 30k at hardware stores, but I re-read your OP and you didn't say that.

Really depends on what kind of travel you're looking for. AA is a good idea IMO, both you and your wife might be able to get two cards each (personal / business) and net a total of 200k AA pts in bonuses. There're also Southwest cards that can get you 50k pts per card (and a companion pass), United card, CSP, Delta AMEX and other cards that can net you $500+ in value for the sign-up.

DiMAn0684 covered the best cards (they should all be at least 50K miles or points). There's also CapOne Spark and Venture, and Barclays Arrival+ with good, but less valuable bonuses.

Since you are new, beware of the Chase 5/24 and Citi 8/65 rules. AOR aint what it used to be.

Chase Ink Plus if you can come up with a business purpose for it. $5000 purchase, 60-70,000 UR point bonus. Apply in branch to waive the $95 fee for the first year. 75,000 UR points are worth about $900, or you can get a $750 statement credit.

taxmantoo said:   Chase Ink Plus if you can come up with a business purpose for it. $5000 purchase, 60-70,000 UR point bonus. Apply in branch to waive the $95 fee for the first year. 75,000 UR points are worth about $900, or you can get a $750 statement credit.
  If you are buying HVAC from Lowes or HD, you can buy their gift cards at office store at 5x 

taxmantoo said:   Chase Ink Plus if you can come up with a business purpose for it. $5000 purchase, 60-70,000 UR point bonus. Apply in branch to waive the $95 fee for the first year. 75,000 UR points are worth about $900, or you can get a $750 statement credit.
How do you get more than a penny a point on anything, except maybe travel?

OP mentioned travel, 75k UR points are ten $110 MI to FL tickets on Southwest, or they can be sold for about 1.2 cents.

I'd ask the company if you can get a discount equivalent to their merchant fee (somewhere between 2 and 3%) if you paid via check.

Otherwise, Citi Double Cash card at 2% cashback.

Foregoing the cash discount is somewhat useful if you have a bunch of minimum spends to hit and don't have access to cheaper MS or other natural spend.

I'd also suggest doing the southwest 50k cards and going for the companion pass. There will be some limit to how many chase cards you can do though, so you'll have to prioritize.

ArmchairArchitect said:   I'd ask the company if you can get a discount equivalent to their merchant fee (somewhere between 2 and 3%) if you paid via check.

Otherwise, Citi Double Cash card at 2% cashback.
Do that to save $600-$900. OR get 5 new cards for yourself and 5 for the wife that each have a $3K minimum spend for a $500+ bonus and earn $5K to $8K in cash or travel value.

I think Chase Sapphire is still at 50k UR points plus 5k for authorized user plus the 3k for meeting the spend. Do the same for the wife.

Keep in mind, chase has a 5 card limit in the prior 2 years, so apply for them first, even if you are doing an AOR.

gatzdon said:   I think Chase Sapphire is still at 50k UR points plus 5k for authorized user plus the 3k for meeting the spend. Do the same for the wife.

Keep in mind, chase has a 5 card limit in the prior 2 years, so apply for them first, even if you are doing an AOR.

Does the trick of doing all the applications on the same day still work?

DTASFAB said:   
gatzdon said:   I think Chase Sapphire is still at 50k UR points plus 5k for authorized user plus the 3k for meeting the spend. Do the same for the wife.

Does the trick of doing all the applications on the same day still work?

Not like it used to, but don't quote me on it.  I imagine that some people still beat the clock for credit inquiries posting to their report.  There's a sticky in FWF on AOR's.

Bottom line, you prioritize your AOR applications, open multiple browser windows, and click submit as quickly as you can in the order your prioritized.

For those that had Chase cards in the past and collected bonuses, do the the Chase bonuses reset 24 months after card closure?  I know the answer is Yes for consumer cards.  What about INK PLUS® BUSINESS CARD?

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-prefer...
This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

Given the recent limits on new credit card applications, I doubt opening 5 new credit cards will be that straightforward.

I say open up 1-3 credit cards to get the sign-on bonuses and use the Citi Double Cash for the remainder balance to earn a cool flat 2%. Easy and straightforward.

I've opened 7 accounts in 1 day before with no problems. Have to spread across different banks, but if you're below Chase's 5/24 you can safely apply for:

2 Chase
2 Barclays
1 Citi
2 Amex
2-3 BoA

Not to say that you would get approved for all of them (some may be pending, but I'd venture to guess you'd be approved for at least 5). That would get you ~15k worth of required spending to get ~250,000 miles to various airlines/hotels.

OP's follow up with a successful AOR -- thread.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017