What Gold Commodity Stocks to buy??

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey guys, I am interested in purchasing some Gold Commodity stocks in the near future, does anyone have any recommendations on what funds or stocks to purchase that align with the Gold spot price?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Skip the gold miners. They are roughly correlated with gold, some not at all since they hedge their production. If you like gold, buy GLD or physical bullion.

TravelerMSY said:   Skip the gold miners. They are roughly correlated with gold, some not at all since they hedge their production. If you like gold, buy GLD or physical bullion.
  Appreciate the feedback, I wasn't aware on how some may be hedging their production. Looks like GLD or bullion would be the safest bet then. Thanks!

romnet said:   
TravelerMSY said:   Skip the gold miners. They are roughly correlated with gold, some not at all since they hedge their production. If you like gold, buy GLD or physical bullion.
  Appreciate the feedback, I wasn't aware on how some may be hedging their production. Looks like GLD or bullion would be the safest bet then. Thanks!

It's said that they don't ring a bell at the top, but man... this thread is legitimately making me reconsider trimming my gold exposure.

whatever11 said:   
romnet said:   

It's said that they don't ring a bell at the top, but man... this thread is legitimately making me reconsider trimming my gold exposure.

Eh.... it's not going to go much lower, or if it does, it's not going significantly lower and staying there.  If it dips, it will rise back to current levels during the next Brexit or other market panic.  Historically speaking, the number of ounces of gold bullion needed to buy a modestly priced Buick has always been around 16-20.  That's about where it is now, and miners hedging production isn't going to have a huge impact in the long term.  Unless you're over-exposed, I wouldn't rush to sell.  2-4% of a well-balanced portfolio in PM or PM ETFs is acceptable., 5-6% if you're really bullish on them, and maybe up to 10% if something totally crazy happens (2008) and you're willing to take the risk in order to be opportunistic.

GLD or IAU for gold metal exposure 
GDX for gold miners

definitely not an endorsement.

None. Gold is worthless. Fiat forever. America will never fail. Dollar is king.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017