Help - Regarding Non Compete

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
One of my existing customers (A) has just requested information about another customer's (b) orders over a given time.  It seems a non-compete was signed between the employee (a) who is now employed by (b) and he is concerned that the employee passed our information on to new company.

I would like to tell (A) we do not offer that information as its confidential and he should deal with his attorneys if he feels there is an issue.  Or in order to get that information i would need a subpoena from the court, as we treat all customers information as private.

Please advise

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Seems simple enough, only give out information to current employees of the company who purchased the product. What agreements there are between employees and ex employers are irrelevant to your situation. 

I concur, just want to make sure of my standing before responding.  I have no interest in upsetting the customer, but nor do i want to be in the middle of both of them.  We also have a very visable web presence and they could have easily searches for us online.

Seems like you have the right idea. When you respond, just preface it with "we would never give out your (a) order information to (b) or anyone else", they might appreciate it more

ac7mpo said:   I concur, just want to make sure of my standing before responding.  I have no interest in upsetting the customer, but nor do i want to be in the middle of both of them.  We also have a very visable web presence and they could have easily searches for us online.
  Have you confirmed company B is even a customer of yours?  Because that's potentially as bad as disclosing order information.

Just reply that it is your company policy to not discuss account information with anyone except the accountholder.  

You could also say that you are glad to forward order information for any of your customers upon their request, so you suggest company A contact any accountholders directly to ask them to initiate a request for such information.  But that's not necessary, and could easily be taken as being passive-aggressive and inappropriate.

Glitch99 has the best answer here.

Glitch99 said:   Just reply that it is your company policy to not discuss account information with anyone except the accountholder.  

Now would also be a good time to document this in the company policy, assuming one exists.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017