At Fault Accident - Claim Being Filed - Does Diminished Value Make Sense?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My gf had an accident. The other party has filed a claim. She will likely be getting her bumper replaced. I found very little in terms of searching requesting diminished value from your own insurance company if you are the at fault party. In her state of GA, a DV service says it's allowed.

So FWF, should she consider filing? What are the possible adverse actions...higher rates than if she didn't file, getting booted from insurance, etc?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

For a bumper or bumper cover? Eh.

Check the terms of your insurance. Just because the state allows it doesn't mean your insurance coverage does.

Even your GF can file a DV claim and your insurance company agrees to pay, you would have no recourse against a low-ball payout unless your GF wants to sue herself. I wouldn't bother with it.

Going after your own insurance company for DV after an at-fault wreck is just asking for a huge rate increase or getting dropped. I'd expect you to come out behind when all is said and done. Chalk it up to a lesson in watching where you're going.

I mean lets say he does have a point. Let's say DV is like 5k. Even if they raise the insurance 500 a year(which would be abusrd), it should fall off the record at maybe 3 or 5 years? They still come out ahead?

Luniz97 said:   I mean lets say he does have a point. Let's say DV is like 5k. Even if they raise the insurance 500 a year(which would be abusrd), it should fall off the record at maybe 3 or 5 years? They still come out ahead?
  More than likely, she's looking at $600 in DV, and then they raise her rates $800/year.  Then they come out ahead.  Or, they lose a customer that they don't want.

supersnoop00 said:   
Luniz97 said:   I mean lets say he does have a point. Let's say DV is like 5k. Even if they raise the insurance 500 a year(which would be abusrd), it should fall off the record at maybe 3 or 5 years? They still come out ahead?
  More than likely, she's looking at $600 in DV, and then they raise her rates $800/year.  Then they come out ahead.  Or, they lose a customer that they don't want.

I would guess closer to $60 in DV. The insurer knows that OP's GF has no recourse.

Replacing a bumper cover doesn't mean anything in DV.   If the only damage is cosmetic, the cover can be replaced and there will be no diminished value.  If the bumper itself is damaged and isn't replaced, it can cause any future accident to be more severe. The original bumper is a key structural part of the impact absorption engineering in the design of the original vehicle as sold.

I wouldn't bother pursuing any DV claim when there's both a carfax report  about the bumper and clear evidence that the claimant is the party at fault. It will not lead to a positive outcome in the long term.

Back when I did a research on this (maybe 10 years ago or so), GA and KS were the only two states that allowed collecting DV on at-fault claims. If the amount of damage is really low, the DV is probably going to be negligible. You can call a DV advisor and ask them to give you a ballpark, then go from there. Consider that the insurance will likely not pay the full claim value. As for raising the rates, with one accident on the record she should be able to find a replacement if needed. In fact, when the renewal comes and if the rate is raised significantly, I'd look around.

Luniz97 said:   it should fall off the record at maybe 3 or 5 years?

Falls off the driving record maybe but my insurance agent still asks me about a speeding ticket I got 7 years ago every time I call him to make policy adjustments. Whether they apply a penalty because of it is another thing but it seems like nothing falls off your CLUE report.

Thanks guys for the advice. Yes bumper had damage. She rammed her accord into tow hitch/ball on a SUV at a red light at about 5 mph.

I'm thinking it likely isn't a good idea. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience one this. For example her insurance will likely go up (estimating 30%) unless the other party has no damages. In that case, she'll probably pay out of pocket to repair her own vehicle. Unless her insurance company will raise her rates even if she doesn't file claim? They know she has an at-fault accident.

At the end of the day, if her rates were going to rise 30%, and DV could be collected without an adverse affect, I figured it was worth thinking about.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017