Any remaining non-chip credit cards?

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am down to my last non-chipped credit card - a Chase Freedom VISA.  Anybody else with a straggler?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
What's the angle here? Why does the OP want to keep non-chipped cards? Is it just convenience/speed or does it have so... (more)

phisher4 (Aug. 02, 2016 @ 10:16a) |

Probably just a curiosity / time waster.

tjguitar85 (Aug. 02, 2016 @ 11:26a) |

Santander Bravo MC card just arrived without a chip.
To avoid fees, I would get the $150.00 bonus checking account and th... (more)

JW10 (Aug. 22, 2016 @ 8:32p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Discover "it" card.

Most carriages are horseless these days. Anyone still have a carriage with a horse?

Citi Hilton HHonors card is still unchipped but I got a mail a few days ago saying a card was on its way.

My Alliant debit card is also unchipped, although that's not a credit card.

Chase Freedom recently arrived with chip on the shoulder.

DiscoverCard (More Card) no chip
WF debit Visa no chip

BostonOne said:   Most carriages are horseless these days. Anyone still have a carriage with a horse?

Big difference:  Horseless carriages were faster than what they replaced.  EMV credit cards (as almost all merchants currently process them) are slower... FAR slower.  At times I have to stand there at the checkout for a full 2 minutes with my card in the slot, overflowing wallet in my other hand waiting, and finally the cashier (who was busy sacking groceries) presses the button to complete the transaction.  With good ol' magstripe cards I could have just swiped and then started gathering my stuff during that time.  God I hate chipped cards.

Amazon Visa
CapOne Sony Rewards Visa

The best is when clowns at restaurants parade out a handheld card reader and stand there while you press 15 buttons about agreeing to the total and punching in the tip, etc and then 8 feet of ticker tape starts spewing out of it like I won the paper jackpot.

irate_retro said:   
BostonOne said:   Most carriages are horseless these days. Anyone still have a carriage with a horse?

Big difference:  Horseless carriages were faster than what they replaced.  EMV credit cards (as almost all merchants currently process them) are slower... FAR slower.  At times I have to stand there at the checkout for a full 2 minutes with my card in the slot, overflowing wallet in my other hand waiting, and finally the cashier (who was busy sacking groceries) presses the button to complete the transaction.  With good ol' magstripe cards I could have just swiped and then started gathering my stuff during that time.  God I hate chipped cards.

I am with you.  Cash is king for me now.  Most of my chip credit cards don't work.  So then you are suck entering the 16 digit number. F--k that!  The check out folks don't understand when you tell them the chip is bad. 

My Amazon.com Visa card, Capital One Quicksilver card, and debit cards from Capital One 360 and Discover.

I haven't received a chipped Sallie Mae Mastercard yet. Also just joined DCU and I'm pretty sure their debit card didn't have a chip (might be wrong on that one).

irate_retro said:   

Why aren't you helping the cashier to "sack" your own groceries?

stormdog123 said:   Why aren't you helping the cashier to "sack" your own groceries?

Because I'm sitting there waiting on the POS terminal to tell me I can remove my card, that's why.  And one of my hands is full holding onto my wallet so I can put the card back inside, as stated above.  Plus it's much more fun to watch the 21 year old girl handling my bananas rather than doing it myself.

plastrd said:   I haven't received a chipped Sallie Mae Mastercard yet. Also just joined DCU and I'm pretty sure their debit card didn't have a chip (might be wrong on that one).
  I got the chipped Sallie Mae card a couple months ago.

clangle said:   Discover "it" card.
  I received a chip one last week.

I've got a couple renewal cards in the past month still without chips. They're still being issued, but that should change.

I'm thinking the last to convert will be Visa/MasterCard gift cards. Not much to gain by thieves for cloning gift cards with little value to start.

2hotforu said:   
irate_retro said:   

I am with you.  Cash is king for me now.  Most of my chip credit cards don't work.  So then you are suck entering the 16 digit number. F--k that!  The check out folks don't understand when you tell them the chip is bad. 

So get a replacement card with a chip that works?  Haven't had any trouble with all of mine.  

Yes, I'm too annoyed at how long the authorization process takes with the chipped cards.  I've read news that they're working on making it faster.  I have no idea why it would take so long to do what it needs to do.  

irate_retro said:   

Big difference:  Horseless carriages were faster than what they replaced.  

That wasn't really true at first.  Road conditions at the turn of the century were such that horses were faster, and less likely to get stuck once you got out of the cities.  Not the fault of the technology, of course, and as infrastructure improved the cars quickly took over.

The downsides of the "new" EMV technology are comparatively minor, despite the substandard "roads" that it is being used on.  It shouldn't take long for the infrastructure to improve to the point where the current slowdowns disappear.

BofA Cash Rewards MC.  I think it'll get chipped when it expires later this year.

I am annoyed that Citi replaced my Photo cards with chip cards without the photo. The photo card was nice to use at annoying places that ask for photo ID.

irate_retro said:   

Link them to an NFC payment method and pay without even getting the card out.

drodge said:   
irate_retro said:   

Yeah, I am fond of that one too.    Wave the phone over the terminal and done.

My Penfed travel rewards is still unchipped.

plastrd said:   I haven't received a chipped Sallie Mae Mastercard yet. Also just joined DCU and I'm pretty sure their debit card didn't have a chip (might be wrong on that one).
My wife still has an unchipped card from Sallie Mae. I only got one for myself after asking a couple of times when they were sending them out and finally telling them that my magnetic strip wasn't working reliably and asking for a replacement. And then they sent a new card for me but not my wife.

No one mentioned Firefox 2.0 yet?

RedWolfe01 said:   
drodge said:   
irate_retro said:   

Yeah, I am fond of that one too.    Wave the phone over the terminal and done.

I loaded my Citi double cash into Android Pay and it tends to be faster than the chip reader in most cases. Except Subway where the girl stares at me dumbfounded as I explain that she needs to hit credit on her side before I can wave my phone over the reader. At least at McDonald's the readers seem to be immediately active without operator intervention.

ZenNUTS said:   No one mentioned Firefox 2.0 yet?
Would the equivalent be Visa's Blink and Mastercard's PayPass tap-and-pay systems that were rolled out back around 2005? Those were much faster than chip payments, probably faster than Apple pay, Samsung pay, ISIS, etc.; but security concerns prompted the advent of tin-foil-hat wallets that blocked RF readers from reading your cards right out of your wallet. Never thought people could get close enough to read'em anyways.

irate_retro said:   

Some slots take longer, this has been going on for hundreds of years.

BostonOne said:   
  I got the chipped Sallie Mae card a couple months ago.

I believe I got mine chipped Sallie Mae sometime in the spring sometime, maybe even first of the year.  I know it was before Kroger switched to the chip readers because I still had to swipe for a while before they started requiring insertion. 

The chip reader at my Walgreens has improved from 20 seconds to about 5 seconds to read. But my local Subway recently got a chip reader and that sucker takes 60 seconds. I wonder what the differences are?

sfchris said:   The chip reader at my Walgreens has improved from 20 seconds to about 5 seconds to read. But my local Subway recently got a chip reader and that sucker takes 60 seconds. I wonder what the differences are?
  So the scammers that have hacked Subway can get your card info.

irate_retro said:   
EMV credit cards (as almost all merchants currently process them) are slower... FAR slower...

Far, far, far slower. Keep being told by cashier ladies to "push it in more" and "push it in all the way" when I can feel with my strength every time it is in there all of the way, and then they say to pull it out and start all over.

It makes it even more frustrating that cashiers at the big chain stores appear not to be allowed to acknowledge that chip transactions take longer than swipe transactions.

JiggleTheHandle said:   
irate_retro said:   
EMV credit cards (as almost all merchants currently process them) are slower... FAR slower...

Far, far, far slower. Keep being told by cashier ladies to "push it in more" and "push it in all the way" when I can feel with my strength every time it is in there all of the way, and then they say to pull it out and start all over.

It makes it even more frustrating that cashiers at the big chain stores appear not to be allowed to acknowledge that chip transactions take longer than swipe transactions.

I suspect it is more that they know if they say anything about it the odds of a rant from the customer increase drastically.

I guess it could be an official policy, but at least when I worked retail they had hard enough time getting people to say the official greeting never mind some detailed info on what not to say during a chip transaction.

Non-chipped debit cards are still being issued. TIAA Direct checking and my Premier America Credit Union debit card recently sent me non-chipped cards. PayPal just sent me a renewal debit card with no chip.
A local credit union I belong to, just a couple weeks ago sent me a renewal chipless credit card.

We still have a ways to go.

My first chipped card was not working in the chip reader units. After I called and got it replaced, all has been much better for the places that use the chip reader.

JiggleTheHandle said:   
irate_retro said:   

Oh my........where do you shop?!!??!

PenFed Amex, Barclay Arrival, USAA

What's the angle here? Why does the OP want to keep non-chipped cards? Is it just convenience/speed or does it have something to do with MS?

phisher4 said:   What's the angle here? Why does the OP want to keep non-chipped cards? Is it just convenience/speed or does it have something to do with MS?

Probably just a curiosity / time waster.

Skipping 1 Messages...
Santander Bravo MC card just arrived without a chip.
To avoid fees, I would get the $150.00 bonus checking account and then the Bravo card with a $100.00 sign up bonus possibility.

https://www.santanderbank.com/us/pages/personal/checking-account...
https://www.santanderbank.com/us/personal/credit-cards/bravo

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016