AMEX Cancelled for Chargebacks?

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I recently had a bad month with Amex. A few merchants I dealt with then made mistakes and refused to fix them. I was wrongly told that I could use a coupon and then was unable to use it, received the wrong order, etc.

The merchants refused to correct their mistakes, so I had to file chargebacks on several charges.

I got a letter from Amex today and it says that they reserve the right to cancel my account(s) for any reason, including chargebacks.

1. Is this flagging/monitoring permanent or temporary?

2. I am disappointed as they never asked for my side of the story, yet they still flagged my account. I had documentation to show that the disputes were legitimate. If I can prove that to them, is it likely that they will remove the flag?

3. If they do close my account, would I be able to reapply for another card of theirs? If so, would they flag the new account as well? I noted that the letter says that the information is based on the "account" referenced above, not "accounts," yet they mention the right to cancel "account(s)."

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
lol.. where is op?

dzyr4tt (Aug. 21, 2016 @ 3:11a) |

Disappeared like a fart in the wind.

qcumber98 (Aug. 21, 2016 @ 3:17a) |

He only wanted us to hold up him like a hero and join forces with him to force the Chairman of AMEX to resign over this ... (more)

Crazytree (Aug. 21, 2016 @ 5:16a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If they cancel one of your account, they will likely close all of your accounts.

How many chargebacks are we talking? 2, 3 or 10, or more?

What dollar amounts did these range in?

How long have you been a card holder?

Have you ever done a chargeback before?

About 4.

These were all small (about $15 to $25).

I have been a card holder for six months.

These were my first chargebacks ever.

brand new member and already have 4 chargebacks? In Amex's books you are marked 'possible fraudster' and expect all amex related cards to be closed and do not expect to get another amex for about 10 years.

Each chargeback is a lot of work and 4 of them in 6 months?  That's really bad

which merchants won't fix your issue? Most usually will fox it

They were all small local businesses.

I have found that big businesses usually follow their policies and fix issues, however.

Was it the same small business and you went back three more times to score another "free one"?

4 chargebacks in one month? That sounds like more than bad luck to me. I would sure like to hear more details on these transactions.

One was because they wouldn't let you use a coupon? Ok, so why did you not cancel the purchase at that point? Because you know, coupons are usually used before the card is swiped. And I just can't see a small business giving you the "wrong order" for $15-25 and refusing to fix it, if it was really their mistake.

Give us all the sordid details, please!

keprechulo said:   They were all small local businesses.

I have found that big businesses usually follow their policies and fix issues, however.

I've almost always found the opposite to be true.

I'm betting that Amex made the right call.  No offense intended, but you sound like a bad customer.  Try thinking about your actions from the other side and you might get some insight into why they did what they did.

Why would you even want an amex card?

Any charge under $25 Amex will just immediately return the money because it cost them more than $25 dollars to investigate. Also sounds like your just looking for freebies like someone said above why chargeback because you couldn't use a coupon, you knew before you placed the order or made the purchase.

atikovi said:   Why would you even want an amex card?
  Why wouldn't you? Best customer service in the business.

For the free financial reviews!

irate_retro said:   

Last time I checked, amex had an annual fee and little or no cash back. With 2% cash back cards available, why bother?

Luniz97 said:   Any charge under $25 Amex will just immediately return the money because it cost them more than $25 dollars to investigate. Also sounds like your just looking for freebies like someone said above why chargeback because you couldn't use a coupon, you knew before you placed the order or made the purchase.
  Amex may also be eating the chargeback amount as well. 

atikovi said:   
irate_retro said:   

Last time I checked, amex had an annual fee and little or no cash back. With 2% cash back cards available, why bother?

Every issuer has cards with mediocre rewards and annual fees, even those that also offer a 2% card.  You need to look at the individual cards, not just the issuer, and Amex offers some very valuable options.

I have been with Amex for decades and can only remember one charge back. You have been with them for 6 months and already 4 charge backs? Would you want such customer if you are Amex?

atikovi said:   
irate_retro said:   

Has FWF taught you nothing since 2008?

So you were wrongly told you could use a coupon, made the purchase anyway (without the coupon), and then filed a chargeback???

DeGlass said:   
atikovi said:   
irate_retro said:   

There is something about amex I don't know that is worth more than the 2% back I get with another card? Enlighten me. Or at least give me a hint.

atikovi- The Amex OBC at 5% is still great for high "grocery" spending. I don't know if the backdoor application link is still alive for that one, but I'm certainly enjoying my card. And MR signup bonuses on their other cards are pretty darn decent for one-time use. By the way, the free FRs thing was meant as a joke.

irate_retro said:   atikovi- The Amex OBC at 5% is still great for high "grocery" spending. I don't know if the backdoor application link is still alive for that one, but I'm certainly enjoying my card. And MR signup bonuses on their other cards are pretty darn decent for one-time use. By the way, the free FRs thing was meant as a joke.
  Out of a typical monthly credit card bill of $3,000, maybe I spend $300 at supermarkets. So with amex I'd get back $15 on the $300 and $27 back on the other $2,700 plus that's only after the first $6500 your spend per year, vs. $60 back with my 2% card on everything. No thanks.

Supermarkets sell many things besides groceries, sir. Some of those things cost $505.95. If that's not your cup of tea I understand, but that doesn't mean that the card itself is lame.

irate_retro said:   Supermarkets sell many things besides groceries, sir. Some of those things cost $505.95. If that's not your cup of tea I understand, but that doesn't mean that the card itself is lame.
  How much for the spoon?

atikovi said:   
irate_retro said:   atikovi- The Amex OBC at 5% is still great for high "grocery" spending. I don't know if the backdoor application link is still alive for that one, but I'm certainly enjoying my card. And MR signup bonuses on their other cards are pretty darn decent for one-time use. By the way, the free FRs thing was meant as a joke.
  Out of a typical monthly credit card bill of $3,000, maybe I spend $300 at supermarkets. So with amex I'd get back $15 on the $300 and $27 back on the other $2,700 plus that's only after the first $6500 your spend per year, vs. $60 back with my 2% card on everything. No thanks.

What's stopping you from spending the $2700 on a 2% card, and getting $54+$15 = $69?

atikovi said:   
irate_retro said:   

My Fidelity 2% AMEX with zero annual fee would like to disagree.

(Technically it was replaced this month with a VISA, but I used it happily for many years.)

People, stop trying to convince him AMEX is the best.  He obviously can't get approved for one.

vnuts21 said:   
atikovi said:   

What's stopping you from spending the $2700 on a 2% card, and getting $54+$15 = $69?

Looks like I'd have to spend $6500 first at 1% back before the 5% back kicks in.

AlwaysWrite said:   
atikovi said:   
irate_retro said:   

My Fidelity 2% AMEX with zero annual fee would like to disagree.

(Technically it was replaced this month with a VISA, but I used it happily for many years.)

My 6% grocery card has a fee, but I get far more back than I pay them for the privilege.  Mainly I get Amazon gift cards, since I spend quite a bit there.  

qcumber98 said:   People, stop trying to convince him AMEX is the best.  He obviously can't get approved for one.
  Lemme check my sock drawer......OK here it is, American Express CASH card valid through 09.20 member since 94. Cool clear plastic. So why is it better than my Capital One card that gives me 2% CASH back as a credit on my statement every month with no minimum plateau or tedious redemption requirements.

atikovi said:   
DeGlass said:   
atikovi said:   
irate_retro said:   

There is something about amex I don't know that is worth more than the 2% back I get with another card? Enlighten me. Or at least give me a hint.

Amex Offers can be useful if you find something you would spend on anyhow ...  For example, currently have $45 credit for a new Sam's membership ( free basic membership ).   Just for that deal alone, it would take $4500 spending on your 2% card to make up the difference ( most Amex cards give 1% cashback ).

Amex offers man. That this the best part.

RagingBull said:   which merchants won't fix your issue? Most usually will fox it
  What happens on the Merchant Side

OP opens a chargeback for say $25
Merchant sees $60 removed from their bank account immediately (even if the original $25 hasn't posted yet)
That's because there's a $35 fee.

What's there to fix?  OP got his money and Amex got $35.  The Merchant isn't going to get any of that money back.

atikovi said:   
qcumber98 said:   People, stop trying to convince him AMEX is the best.  He obviously can't get approved for one.
  Lemme check my sock drawer......OK here it is, American Express CASH card valid through 09.20 member since 94. Cool clear plastic. So why is it better than my Capital One card that gives me 2% CASH back as a credit on my statement every month with no minimum plateau or tedious redemption requirements.

The old Blue Cash is 1% for the first $6500.  The new Blue Cash is a 3% no fee, no minimum card for groceries and 3 > 2.

atikovi said:   

I dont get your point in arguing.  No one here is saying one card is by far and away the best for every single transaction you make.  I bet the majority of people on this board use on average 2-4 different cards a month. 

I use my Amex Plat for any high dollar purchases for which I might need protection from loss/theft/breakage.  I also keep it and pay the annual fee for FHR, Cent Lounges, Hotel Status, ect.  To me its well worth having.  I also hold a number of other AMEX cards, either no annual fee cards, or cards that are in their first year annual fee period.  Counting authorized users I have around 8 amex cards at any time.  This works out great for amex deals.  Recently with the 25off100 amex deal at Staples I saved $200 off our upcoming disney vacation, and thats only a small amount of the amex deals I have used this year.

I have a Discover Miles card earning 3% cash currently for a few more months.  I use it for most other purchases.  I have a discover IT card to use for rotating 5%, as well as discover deals which for me add up to a decent amount every year(made over 3k in rewards last year during my 2x rewards year)

I hold a Chase Freedom card to use for 5% rotating categories.  Also have a Chase ink card to get 5% back from cable/phone, and to have the ability to transfer points to Hyatt, which to me, makes my UR points worth twice a much, so the annual fee is again, worth it.

I have a PenFed card to get 5%(closer to 4.5% on CB redemption) on gas when chases/discover isnt a rotating category.

If you goal is to maximize cash back, or maximize points/miles, its NEVER best to have a single card.  Currently the worst I do on any single purchase is 3% due to Miles, but typically its 2% cash back, or 5-10% value in hotel points.

qcumber98 said:   
atikovi said:   

The old Blue Cash is 1% for the first $6500.  The new Blue Cash is a 3% no fee, no minimum card for groceries and 3 > 2.

But what % for non-groceries?

[q=atikovi;19581983 sai]  But what % for non-groceries?

Again who cares?  No one ever said you are limited to using a single card for everything... 

daw4888 said:   
atikovi said:     But what % for non-groceries?

Again who cares?  No one ever said you are limited to using a single card for everything... 

But the whole point is to be obtuse on the Internet!

Does Chase ever do this? Do they factor in the whole banking relationship

Skipping 26 Messages...
AAlison said:   Where is the OP?  I really really want the details on the 4 chargebacks.
  He only wanted us to hold up him like a hero and join forces with him to force the Chairman of AMEX to resign over this aggression.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017