• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just bought a wall oven from Sears outlet.
Looked at it in the store and there were no visible scratches, etc. it was loaded into my van and I drove my 2+ hours home. Go to get the wall oven out and there are 8-10 deep scratches across the bottom (deep like they were from a box cutter as you could feel metal shavings). Naturally we call the store and they claim innocence and try to pin on me saying something must have happened on the way home. (NOTE: I don't plan on bringing it up to them but the store staff was fairly rude after I refused to buy the extended warranty - but surely no one would deliberately damage it).
So far we have talked to the store manager who says she will either give us 10% off or we can bring it back. I really don't want to drive it back the 2 plus hours but they say I can't return to a another Sears outlet. I don't think we want the oven even if they offered say 50% off as the scratches are really bad. FWIW I paid using my AMEX Platinum card.

Ideas or Anyone had something to this?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Well at least we now have pics, we now know it's not a side issue. It's a front lower door issue. It's aesthetic and not... (more)

PruHTP (Aug. 03, 2016 @ 12:14p) |

If the metal is stainless steel with no clear coat on it, you might be able to correct this to a more acceptable appeara... (more)

taylor0987 (Aug. 03, 2016 @ 2:48p) |

I am reading the fine print on the bottom of a newspaper insert for the Sears Outlet.  It says, ""Sears Outlet Stores ma... (more)

thesteward (Aug. 06, 2016 @ 12:35p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

not uncommon. it's a lousy situation because the damage means it's not worth 90% of the flawless value...but 2 hours is a long way to drive (not that the distance is Sears' problem). anyway, they are offering you 2 reasonable enough options. what else would you have them do?

when this has happened to me (and it has happened often...as a landlord and rehabber i buy appliances and fixtures constantly), i would take it back. but NOW, when i buy things, even though it's kinda inconvenient at the store - i unbox the thing and inspect it.

How did you miss 8-10 deep scratches across the bottom when you inspected it in the store? If I was the store, I would blame the scratches on you, too.

I'm 99% sure the scratches weren't there in the store (me and an associate inspected the whole thing).

Anyone ever tried to return do a different Sears outlet? (There is one about 25 min from me)

I was reading about the Amex accidental damage - think this situation would apply?

So, if the scratches weren't there in the store, how is it that you expect Sears to do anything more than an extra 10% off? How did the scratches get there? Perhaps you drove on a bumpy road or the oven shifted? Is the damaged part even repairable?

Since you said you don't want the discount offer, and wouldn't take it even if an extra 50% off were offered (which will not happen), sounds to me like you have to drive back to the place of purchase and return it there. Some outlets operate as all sales final, so having a return option, given the dire financial state Sears is in, is about as good as you are going to get from Sears.

If Amex offers something, then I would take that and forget Sears.

Scratches across the "bottom" or scratches across the front NEAR the bottom? I'm trying to figure out how scratches across the bottom are going to be visible once the appliance is installed.

Pics?

Sorry - scratches on the front near the bottom.

Before loading I asked them if they could wrap the item - the damage honestly looks like a box cutter from when they were wrapping it - however they claim they don't use them. There's 0 chance the scratches happened while inside the the minivan. It's heavy enough that the item didn't move and there was nothing else in the back.

Is there a way to add photos while on mobile?

4 hrs? I hope you saved 4 figures OP.

Indeed the item we were buying is on sale for $2899 at regular Sears store and we bought at the outlet for $1400.

weve had good luck with similar things 3-4 times and this is our first issue.

nic3456 said:   Indeed the item we were buying is on sale for $2899 at regular Sears store and we bought at the outlet for $1400.

Was it a combo microwave wall oven? That's about the retail price I spent on mine at Lowes ... and the install came with them delivering it. gonna deduct it 

It was for the microwave combo - what unit did you get at Lowes? We bought a whirlpool WOC95EC0AS

nic3456 said:   It was for the microwave combo - what unit did you get at Lowes? We bought a whirlpool WOC95EC0AS
  GE 27" SS model JK3800SHSS. has larger microwave space than a cheap fridgadaire and the existing one was a GE so it fit like a condom

Can you paint the scratches on the front? If the area with the scratches can be disassembled, take only that piece and get it powder coated.

Where exactly are the scratches? Are they on the lower door?  Or is there a panel below the lower door?  Is the panel removable and replaceable?  I bought a dented Kenmore washer from the Sears Outlet years ago with a dented bottom panel.  The salesman helped me order a new bottom panel from Sears Parts Direct for $40 or so.   The panel was shipped to my house and I replaced it myself and that was the only damage to the machine.  You might be able to replace the frame panel or door panel for less than the 10% discount they are offering you.  

How deep are the scratches?  Give this a try on stainless steel 

Sears Outlet are franchised. ZERO customer service and Buyer beware.

Although I'd try corporate. I'm going to do that with a Samsung washer I bought that broke it's lid while running!

Have you considered calling GE to see how much the replacement part costs?

I found myself in s nearly identical situation, coincidentally with the identical oven. One local outlet refused the return, another was able to do it. The manager said there was a "trick" that not every manager is willing or able to do.

As has already been mentioned, you may want to check eBay or the manufacturer for replacement parts.

Been looking at Sears Outlet for dishwashers.   After checking around conclusion is that I can buy a dishwasher installed for way less than Outlet price.  And, it is new and no need to drive anywhere.

Wall ovens is about the only thing we've came across good deals on. Seems like you can find 35-40% fridges, washers, etc fairly regularly at the big box stores. I never see wall ovens more than 10-15% off.

nic3456 said:   Wall ovens is about the only thing we've came across good deals on. Seems like you can find 35-40% fridges, washers, etc fairly regularly at the big box stores. I never see wall ovens more than 10-15% off.

microwave?

Is there a closer outlet store? Why not try to return it there? I know the "Home Town" Sears stores don't take returns back, but didn't realize the outlets were the same.

Second the suggestion to find out if you can get a replacement part for whatever is scratched.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/parts-for-whirlpool-woc95ec0as...

rufflesinc said:   4 hrs? I hope you saved 4 figures OP.
  I'm thinking if OP was too cheap to pay for delivery, he's going to have to spend the gas to bring it back. Reminds me of people saving 20 bucks by tying a queen mattress to the roof of their Corolla. And an outlet will have different merchandise than a regular store, so no, you can't take it back to nearby Sears

If this is a in the wall unit, why would scratches on the bottom make a difference if once installed no one will ever see them?

Sears - Online In-Store Shopping: Appliances, Clothing More
Disclaimer
atikovi said:   
rufflesinc said:   4 hrs? I hope you saved 4 figures OP.
  I'm thinking if OP was too cheap to pay for delivery, he's going to have to spend the gas to bring it back. Reminds me of people saving 20 bucks by tying a queen mattress to the roof of their Corolla. And an outlet will have different merchandise than a regular store, so no, you can't take it back to nearby Sear*s. 

Outlet stores are basically a different division  than the Retail stores themselves. They are cash and carry and WYSIWYG. No deliveries. This is where all the retail returns go to be repaired if was a mechanical issue and items that were returned to stores with any type damage. Thus they are discounted accordingly. The manufacturer does not cover aesthetic repairs as they are ASIS.  

needhelpplease said:   Sears Outlet are franchised. ZERO customer service and Buyer beware.

Although I'd try corporate. I'm going to do that with a Samsung washer I bought that broke it's lid while running!

Outlet stores are not franchised, they are separate entities from other Outlet stores. 

PruHTP said:   
needhelpplease said:   Sears Outlet are franchised. ZERO customer service and Buyer beware.

Although I'd try corporate. I'm going to do that with a Samsung washer I bought that broke it's lid while running!

Outlet stores are not franchised, they are separate entities from other Outlet stores. 

From wikipedia:
Homestead stores: "a chain of smaller stores that are operated as a store where the proprietor owns or leases the real estate while Sears Holdings handles the marketing and owns the inventory, and there are no franchising fees levied against the store proprietor"
And outlets:"The majority of Sears Outlet stores are company-operated (115) and 28 Sears Outlet stores are locally owned and operated by franchisees"

So some of them are kind of like a franchise but not technically.    The closest one to me is signed as a Sears Homestead Outlet.   And they do deliver. 

I fail to see how Sears didn't meet customer service standards here. OP took home a unit, tells us it was fine and the scratches likely happened while it was in OP's possession, but a discount is not good enough, and having to drive the thing back 2 hours each way is not an option. I just see "I paid with AMEX" being thrown around a bit which to me, seems like OP is in this for a freebie of some sort.

I love how OP has ignored the questions on damage, and hsa now side tracked this discussion to what appliances people have bought, right down to the model number. FWF is going down the toilet.

jerosen said:   
PruHTP said:   

From wikipedia:
Homestead stores: "a chain of smaller stores that are operated as a store where the proprietor owns or leases the real estate while Sears Holdings handles the marketing and owns the inventory, and there are no franchising fees levied against the store proprietor"
And outlets:"The majority of Sears Outlet stores are company-operated (115) and 28 Sears Outlet stores are locally owned and operated by franchisees"

So some of them are kind of like a franchise but not technically.    The closest one to me is signed as a Sears Homestead Outlet.   And they do deliver. 

You are confusing a small Sears depot store that are in some markets in the middle of nowhere with Sears scratch n' dent  stores. They are not the same.

PruHTP said:   
jerosen said:   
PruHTP said:   

From wikipedia:
Homestead stores: "a chain of smaller stores that are operated as a store where the proprietor owns or leases the real estate while Sears Holdings handles the marketing and owns the inventory, and there are no franchising fees levied against the store proprietor"
And outlets:"The majority of Sears Outlet stores are company-operated (115) and 28 Sears Outlet stores are locally owned and operated by franchisees"

So some of them are kind of like a franchise but not technically.    The closest one to me is signed as a Sears Homestead Outlet.   And they do deliver. 

You are confusing a small Sears depot store that are in some markets in the middle of nowhere with Sears scratch n' dent  stores. They are not the same.

I know the difference.

I was citing wikipedia discussing both and there it says that some Outlet stores are franchised.    But I don't know if wiki is technically right on that point

I *thought* the one near me is signed as a Homestead Outlet but on 2nd look, I guess it isn't.   However I see it called an Outlet on various web sites, so either it was an outlet in the past or people are confusing the two.  And from Google street view the sign just says "Sears" with no mention of Homestead.  

That'll buff right out.

There is no chance the damages happened in my possession. (Though obviously I can understand why Sears could be skeptical). If I had to bet it happened in the loading/dock area. I even said I didn't think we wanted it even if they offered 50% off. I'm not trying to get anything for free all I asked from them was the ability to return at my local store ( though I am irritated by the whole thing as I spent half my day driving round trip and had a feeling the damage was on purpose after I refused the warranty) I will post the pictures if there is a way to.

i believe I answered every question about damage, but let me know if I missed one.

http://postimg.org/gallery/g01w1qew/

Who is the idiot that loaded it face down?

I bet you can get the part for $140. If it was me I would find a replacement part and replace it. If I wasn't Handy I'd call an appliance repair person.

Not knowing the market on these things, it sounds like you got a good enough deal to avoid 4 hours, take the 10% and get it fixed yourself.

scrouds said:   Who is the idiot that loaded it face down?

Looks like it is on its side to me.

OP - When exactly did you lose sight of the appliance between the time you saw it on the sales floor and when it was loaded?  Are you sure you weren't so excited about your "good deal" that you missed the pre-existing damage on the sales floor?

just to confirm it was laying on its side in the van.

I don't think I could have missed all those because I remember looking all around the whirlpool logo but there is a chance that I missed the scratches, but if I did so did the salesperson who was looking over it with me as well as the website that only described a scratch on the side. Overall I'd say the oven was out of my sight for about 10-15 min.

nic3456 said:   I don't think I could have missed all those because I remember looking all around the whirlpool logo but there is a chance that I missed the scratches, but if I did so did the salesperson who was looking over it with me as well as the website that only described a scratch on the side.

parts in bold are completely irrelevant.

Well at least we now have pics, we now know it's not a side issue. It's a front lower door issue. It's aesthetic and not mechanical related. It's so close to the bottom that IMO most would have missed it. To correct that problem (other than buffing it), the door needs to be ordered at it will be $200 + tax/shipping + labor to replace it. So your choices are as stated earlier; return it, get discount or get it repaired on your own. The item was already discounted when the store sold it to you. So you have three choices. Choose one.

If the metal is stainless steel with no clear coat on it, you might be able to correct this to a more acceptable appearance. The goal shouldn't be perfection, but rather making the scratches less noticeable. There are some kits available, but I fixed my scratched dishwasher using a sanding sponge. I tried a couple of different grits until I matched it best. If you do this then only sand in the direction of the grain that is already on the metal. I'd tape off the glass and the whirlpool logo before starting.

I am reading the fine print on the bottom of a newspaper insert for the Sears Outlet.  It says, ""Sears Outlet Stores may be independently operated by authorized franchisees of Sears Home Appliance Showrooms, LLC."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016