Child care FSA - 2015

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Long story - Please help.

My daughter did a private kindergarden and day care from Jan - June 2015. My son is 1 year old and I had a baby sitter.

I submitted the summary bill from my daughter's day care for $4800 and letter from my baby sitter for around $2500. Somehow my son's letter was not submitted properly.
Day care bill had both my sons name and daughter name (I think they just added my son's name when I enquired about the day care) which I didnt know.
I got reimbursement for $2400 for my son and was asked to get letter from Day care for my daughter that she did both kindergarden and before/after care. I submitted it and totally forgot about it.
I relaised in June that I didnt get reimbursement. I called my insurance and they said they need a detailed month by month bill and how much she paid for day care.

Since I wanted only $2500 back, I got the month by month back and approximately told them that after/before day care expense it $2500.
Only then I realised look like the reimbursement for my son was due to day care bill that I submitted. Now they wanted detailed bill how I paid for my daughter's kindergarden, after care and my son.
So base don the numbers I submitted, i got $2500 for my son back and I told $2500 is my daughter's after care and I have no money for Kindergarden.
I dont know what to do. either way i cant get a wrong letter from school or submit a new claim now since the last date was march 31st.

Is there any other way that I can get my money back. Please help.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Huh? Submitted to who, your employer's DCAP administrator?

What did they say when you asked them?

Dude, it's August 2016. You should have handled this in July 2015, January 2016 at the very latest. Now you're way past the plan's deadline and you're at the mercy of the plan to correct it.

Write the plan administrator and your company's benefit department; tell them you submitted claims but they don't appear to have been processed correctly, lay out the expenses you are requesting reimbursement for month-by-month for each child, and ask them to properly process the claims based on that information. Ask someone to proofread it before you mail it. Cross your fingers.

doveroftke said:   Ask someone to proofread it before you mail it. 

considering that you DID file timely, despite it being in the wrong format, i think you will get your money. just file it in the way they want it and you will probably get paid. if not, call the fsa admin and rattle some cages.

it wouldn't hurt to get your company HR dept on your side too.

Depending on your exact FSA plan, you may be able to check the initial claim and denial reasons, and refer to that as still being open for resolution. You cannot submit a new claim since that window for submission of claims regarding 2015 FSAs is now closed so that's your best shot.

So ask the FSA administrator what you would need to submit to approve that previously-denied claim. While you were definitely not on top of things with following up on those claims, they also clearly messed up approving a $2.5k claim for your son who did not go to the day care while at the same time rejecting the other half of that same claim for your daughter. So you can play the angle that they're partially responsible for fixing this situation that they created by mishandling your claims. You may also need to clarify the situation that you got incorrectly reimbursed for your son's dependent care expenses from the previously submitted day care statement and that his FSA claim was supported by letter from sitter instead and in a slightly different amount. In any case, just get clear instructions about what to submit to get that old claim approved.

Then contact the day care with exact instruction about what you need for the FSA claim. Make sure this time, they clearly identify your daughter as dependent who received care on their statement.

And hope that the money was not redistributed for FSA administration expenses as they usually are at the end of the claim submission cycle. Good luck.

Thank you everyone! Somehow I thought I should I apply reimbursement only in the end. My mistake! Will keep you posted.

I sent detailed email with all proof to my company and they forwarded it to my insurance account manager. Got it approved in 2 days!! If not this forum I would not have contacted ! thank you each one of you for your suggestions.

Do both of you work?

If so - I have found claiming child care deduction to be much less painful than going the FSA route. Also - the limit for that is $3000 per child for a total of $6000 for us (with two kids) as against the $5000 FSA limit.

Both spouses need to show some "earned income" to use this. The idea is that you are using childcare to allow both of you to work - hence it is deductible up to some limit.

Google it.

Yes Puddonhead, I stopped FSA this year. I am jsut going to go for deduction instead of FSA

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016