• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
2007 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL loaded with technology package and other addons. I bought it new and loan paid off. Car is in great condition with 64K miles on it. I'm planning to keep it for another 2-3 years. KBB Private party price is around $8K. Car is still under full coverage. Recently it suffered hail damage and Geico cut me a check for $2100 after $500 deductible. Damage is not very bad. I can still drive it around without any issues. I live in Dallas TX and I think chances of getting hit again by hail next few years is high. 

Now the question is, should I pocket the check or get the repairs done? Can you guys help on what basis I should make the decision. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Should have let them total it and then bought it back salvaged title.

Stubtify (Aug. 07, 2016 @ 8:40a) |

Pocket the money and drop the full coverage.

FWF406 (Aug. 07, 2016 @ 1:26p) |

Full coverage is still worth having, and its cheap.  I would (as others suggested) ask for a PDR estimate from a few com... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Aug. 07, 2016 @ 11:46p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you don't mind how it looks, pocket it.

vkoppu said:   Can you guys help on what basis I should make the decision. 

Is it worth $2,100 to you to have the damaged fixed?

vkoppu said:   I live in Dallas TX and I think chances of getting hit again by hail next few years is high. 

Now the question is, should I pocket the check or get the repairs done? Can you guys help on what basis I should make the decision. 

If you don't fix the current damage and it gets hit again, Geico will most likely deduct the prior damage from any future settlement.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
vkoppu said:   I live in Dallas TX and I think chances of getting hit again by hail next few years is high. 

If you don't fix the current damage and it gets hit again, Geico will most likely deduct the prior damage from any future settlement.

Yes, agent did mention that as well. She asked me to keep repair receipt copies safe so they can be used in future to prove that car was restore to normal condition. 

If you only plan to keep it for 2-3 years, I would probably fix it. That 8K KBB value will take more than a 2K hit, depending on the damage.

If you said you would keep it for 8-10 years, I would pocket it.

Do they really do that? If you keep the car another 10 years and it gets totaled(I know it says 2-3), are they really going to ask you for that receipt? I mean, why would you offer it up otherwise?

Based on the other responses, I'm out of the norm. But then I've been in this exact same situation - and like the OP, I live in Texas.

1. There is no way I'd pay 25% of the value of the car to fix minor hail damage.

2. And the deduction of prior damage if another hail damage claim... is that really a realistic and likely situation? Take photos of the damage now, if a new hail claim hits then they will only pay you for the NEW dents - solved.

3. Oh and one more thing - if you sold the car (private party) today, how much of a deduction would you have to take for the hail damage... I'd bet less than $1,000.

I Had hail damage in 2014 Bell County Texas my insurance is Geico as well i Fix it, $3500 worth of damage. Any Claim over $500 Geico will put on your record might as well make it worth.

As long as it's just aesthetics, I would pocket it and keep it for any major repairs down the road. You've probably increased the useful life of your vehicle by at least a few years if you hang onto the cash.

Why not switch insurance carriers, so that the next time you file a hail claim, it's not in their recent history? Or would it show up on a CLUE report, tied to a specific vehicle?

Why not keep the money, and when you decide to sell it, make the decision then. Who knows what might happen to the car in the next 3 years.

I have kept all my hail damage checks over the years but I usually keep my vehicles until they die and are worth nothing, or get totaled. At one time I was hit 4 times in 5 years, once by a motor scooter.

Any paint cracks?

pics? Based on that we can say "that'll buff right out"

Contact a paintless dent removal place and get an estimate. Don't mention the insurance check to them.

taylor0987 said:   Contact a paintless dent removal place and get an estimate. Don't mention the insurance check to them.
 I was going to say the same.  Many years ago my car had pretty bad hail damage (dents galore and not a body panel spared).  I recall insurance check was around $6k (based on traditional body repair); PDR fixed it all for $3k and you could never tell from the outside.

vnuts21 said:   Why not switch insurance carriers, so that the next time you file a hail claim, it's not in their recent history? Or would it show up on a CLUE report, tied to a specific vehicle?
  All insurers report claims to a central database. So your future insurer will also ask for the receipts/proof of previous damage being fixed.

I had situation about 4 years back. My Minivan had lot of hail damage. Insurance company wanted to total it and pay me $10,000 or give me a check for $6,700. I pocketed check and drove van for 4 more years and sold it for $1800 after 4 years (with hail damage). As someone mentioned, as long as you don't mind driving a car with hail damage, it is not a problem.

Pocket the money!

dks123 said:   I had situation about 4 years back. My Minivan had lot of hail damage. Insurance company wanted to total it and pay me $10,000 or give me a check for $6,700. I pocketed check and drove van for 4 more years and sold it for $1800 after 4 years (with hail damage). As someone mentioned, as long as you don't mind driving a car with hail damage, it is not a problem.

Should have let them total it and then bought it back salvaged title.

Pocket the money and drop the full coverage.

FWF406 said:   Pocket the money and drop the full coverage.

Full coverage is still worth having, and its cheap.  I would (as others suggested) ask for a PDR estimate from a few companies and tell them its self pay.  Get the worst dents fixed and keep the receipt.  You may get out for $5-700 or so, especially if you just get the nastier ones.  

I know someone that had his new truck fixed and hailed on again a week later.  (Wylie had a bad week)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017