• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Fourth Quater
Disclaimer
It seams a few days early, but I was able to ACTIVATE my fourth quarter Discover 5% categories today  August 25th, 2016.

For Discover it® and Discover® More® cardmembers only
DiscoverCard Rewards Calendar said: Amazon. com, Department Stores & Sam's Club 
Discover Cardmembers will sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Amazon. com, Department Stores and Sam's Club from October through December 2016.

Discover Card 4th Quarter Calendar 

Sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Amazon. com, Department Stores and Sam's Club from 10/1/16 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 12/31/16. Amazon. com purchases include those made through the Amazon. com checkout, including digital downloads, Amazon. com gift cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Local Deals and Amazon Prime subscriptions and items sold by third party merchants through Amazon. com's marketplace. Department Stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department. Sam's Club purchases made in store and online qualify. Gas and fuel purchases are not eligible. With the exception of Sam's Club, purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using tap-and-pay, mobile or wireless card readers, virtual wallets or similar technology may not be eligible. Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within two billing periods. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for more information about your rewards.

Member Summary

Discover 5
Thanks JW10
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If I recall correctly, in California and New York, they can't stop you from shopping because you're not a member.  You m... (more)

sechs (Nov. 05, 2016 @ 6:29p) |

Can anyone confirm that paying in the new Sam's Club Scan & Go app with Discover earns the 5% CB?

olegos (Nov. 18, 2016 @ 6:12p) |

I did last month and got my bonus cash back. No issues with scan and go and the 5% cash back.

MilleniumBuc (Nov. 18, 2016 @ 10:39p) |

Program Details
*For Discover it® and Discover® More® cardmembers only: Sign up to earn 5% Cashback Bonus on up to $1,500 in purchases at Amazon.com, Department Stores and Sam's Club from 10/1/16 (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through 12/31/16. Amazon.com purchases include those made through the Amazon.com checkout, including digital downloads, Amazon.com gift cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Local Deals and Amazon Prime subscriptions and items sold by third party merchants through Amazon.com's marketplace. Department Stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department. Sam's Club purchases made in store and online qualify. Gas and fuel purchases are not eligible. With the exception of Sam's Club, purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors and discount stores are not eligible. Purchases made using tap-and-pay, mobile or wireless card readers, virtual wallets or similar technology may not be eligible. Rewards are added to your Cashback Bonus account within two billing periods. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for more information about your rewards.
=========================
Get a Sam's Club membership and use it to the Cash Back Max, then decide if it has any real value for you.
[L=Sam's Club said: /Sams-Club-coupons/#shopnow=http://www.samsclub.com Terns and Conditions]You'll love the value of membership, or we'll fully refund your annual fee.

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

5% at Sam's Club is awesome.

Damn right!  I'm beyond thrilled!!!  Especially with TWO Discover cards.  With this and Chase Freedom both doing 5% at Sam's, this is gonna be awesome 4th quarter. 

My SamsClub membership expires in september. How is that?

Is this automatic or do you have to activate the 5%, like w/ Chase Freedom card?

Gotta activate it, just like with Chase.

nortotron said:   My SamsClub membership expires in september. How is that?

Just wait to go back in October to activate. You might have some days in September you can't go in based on your expiration date, so just plan your shopping accordingly.

Is Sams club better than Costco? What are you guys planning for 6000$ in Sams Club (2xchase and 2x disc)

Amazon is an ongoing 5% category for Discover now, isn't it?

FWFfollower said:   Is Sams club better than Costco? What are you guys planning for 6000$ in Sams Club (2xchase and 2x disc)

I would probably prefer Costco, but Sam's Club is 12 miles from my house while Costco is 40.

I spend $500-$800/month on groceries/household supplies @ Sam's so I won't have trouble using this up.  Usually I just buy a giftcard for $1500 with each CC at the beginning of the quarter so I don't have to keep track of it.

Bonus: Sam's Club GC is also good @ Wal-Mart.

CowbellMaster said:   Amazon is an ongoing 5% category for Discover now, isn't it?

Sure seems that way huh?  I know they ran it 6 months (2 quarters) straight last year.  Not sure about the year before. 

And Speeding, I like your idea of doing all the spending at once!

FWFfollower said:   Is Sams club better than Costco? What are you guys planning for 6000$ in Sams Club (2xchase and 2x disc)
  My Sams Club has Visa GCs ....

kb2120 said:   

BINGO!!!  My thoughts exactly!!!  It's a shame my double cashback is over in September.

kb2120 said:   

Problem is VGCs at Sam's Club is the lower value variety with a purchase fee on each one.  Same for MC GCs.

JW10 said:   
kb2120 said:   

Problem is VGCs at Sam's Club is the lower value variety with a purchase fee on each one.  Same for MC GCs.

Mine has MC GCs - $500 with $4.94 purchase fee.    This may be a recent addition as I don't remember seeing them other times, of course I never really looked either since previously warehouse clubs were not 5% categories prior to the Costco change ...

Same here: $500 with $4.94 purchase fee. Never seen any with higher values?

I would be delighted to see a $500 VGC @ $4.94 fee. What I am seeing tops at $200-$250 per card. So if you can catch that, snag it.

JW10 said:   I would be delighted to see a $500 VGC @ $4.94 fee. What I am seeing tops at $200-$250 per card. So if you can catch that, snag it.

Bummer man. That sucks.

You know...I though Sam's was about to stop accepting Discover? Perhaps I'm confusing it with something else??

In my experience, Costco is by far better. 
Sam's Club is owned by WalMart, if that tells you anything... 

I would shop at Costco, but the nearest one is 40 min away, and Sams is 10 min away.

Is the 5% cashback applies to gift cards bought at Sam's on my Chase card as well for this quarter?

daw4888 said:   I would shop at Costco, but the nearest one is 40 min away, and Sams is 10 min away.
  It's worth it ...

Would you believe... I have 2 Discover cards (Miles, Open Road) and neither are eligible. Oh well.

ablang said:   Would you believe... I have 2 Discover cards (Miles, Open Road) and neither are eligible. Oh well.

Yes, I would believe. You wouldn't try to activate Chase Freedom 5% categories on a Slate card, would you?

ablang said:   Would you believe... I have 2 Discover cards (Miles, Open Road) and neither are eligible. Oh well.
  So apply for the It card now. What's the problem?

Cousin It
Disclaimer
qcumber98 said:   

<<  It card?

qcumber98 said:   

Discover limits individuals to two accounts, they'd have to convert an existing account or have a spouse apply.

george2001 said:   
qcumber98 said:   

<<  It card?

Discover IT card review - check any signup links if they are current.

JW10 said:   
george2001 said:   
qcumber98 said:   

<<  It card?

Discover IT card review - check any signup links if they are current.

Ask a find a friend with the card for a sign-up link, you'll both get $50 (which gets doubled as part of the first-year double-bonus promo).

I noticed that Discover give you an extra $5.00 when you use you cashback for gift cards.  This seems to apply to a wide range of cards with the most useful being to get a $50 card for $45 for places like CVS, K-mart, Sears, and others you might actually use. there are some $25 cards for $20, but most are less commonly used places.

A $75 card for Shell is $70.

If you shop at stores for which they have gift cards ift cards can be a better option than just getting the cash rebate. I mention this because many might not even look at gift cards otherwise.

If you can use the gift card redemption option this makes using the Discover card even more valuable, with the 5% becomeing 5.55%.

doveroftke said:   
qcumber98 said:   

Discover limits individuals to two accounts, they'd have to convert an existing account or have a spouse apply.

May be worth asking them to convert one with an offer.

Otherwise consider canceling one with a view to later applying for a new one. I canceled my miles card because its 1.5% was less than the 2% or better available on many cards I had, and I expected I would eventually apply for a second it card or another card with a good bonus or starting offer, which I would otherwise be unable to get due to the two card limit.

cutemitu said:   Is the 5% cashback applies to gift cards bought at Sam's on my Chase card as well for this quarter?

Yes.

On a slightly unrelated note, I wonder if Chase will do the 10X UR points at Amazon like they did last year during the 4th quarter?  That would be awesome!  Chase for Amazon and my two Discover cards for Sam's!  Oh, I can only dream...

Sams Club new member offer 

I did a bonus signup on a link that I found on Doctor of Credit. Better level of Sam's Club membership for under $50.00 and got a $20.00 Sams GC. This location has variable priced Vanilla brand MCs with $4.95 fee. You assign the PIN on your first use of it. Cashier insisted on ringing up each one separately, so I only bought two. Last thing I want to do is get my credit card flagged.  So ended my third quarter .. two MCGC 500s
------
Signed up for the FOURTH quarter at the time of this OP.  October finally arrives.  I did a $500.00 MCGC - fee 4.95 at two different locations of Sam's Club in one day = $1000.00 MCGC on one day.  It took two locations because location #1 only had one MCGC on the pegboard.  Trying to handcuff myself to wait for the last $500.00 MCGC to max out the $1500.00 Cash Back reward allowance.

Is there an AA for what we do?  Hi I am Jeff and I am a Cash Back rewardsaholic.

Is it qualified to get 5% rebate if I purchase Amazon GC on Mileage Plus X? I tried with $25 and the merchandise shows as MPX-Amazon.com. Thanks.

peiching said:   Is it qualified to get 5% rebate if I purchase Amazon GC on Mileage Plus X? I tried with $25 and the merchandise shows as MPX-Amazon. com. Thanks.

No.

Do WalMart and Target count as "Department Stores" or are they considered part of some other obscure category? What about Kohls?

I have no interest in paying a membership fee at Sam's, but I would like to buy some gift cards.

DTASFAB said:   Do WalMart and Target count as "Department Stores" or are they considered part of some other obscure category? What about Kohls

I have no interest in paying a membership fee at Sam's, but I would like to buy some gift cards.

WalMart and Target = Discount stores

Kohl's = Department store  

The workaround for Wal-Mart is to purchase Sam's Club GCs with either Discover or Freedom cards this calendar quarter for 5% cash rewards up to $1500.00 per card.
Use the Sam's Club GCs just like a Wal-Mart GC at Wal-Mart. I have personally done this a few times this month.

Skipping 6 Messages...
olegos said:   Can anyone confirm that paying in the new Sam's Club Scan & Go app with Discover earns the 5% CB?
I did last month and got my bonus cash back. No issues with scan and go and the 5% cash back.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017