• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Chase is rolling out a new Sapphire Reserve card to replace the widely unpopular, Palladium card. Looks similar to the AMEX Platinum deals that are around every so often. Now it does have a $450 annual fee but still seems like a good deal. Seemingly available as of August 21. These seem to be the specs:

- 100k points after spending $4k in 3 months
- 1 point per dollar
- 3 points per dollar in Travel and Dining categories
- Airport lounge access
- 0 foreign transaction fee
- $100 reimbursement for Global Entry or TSA Pre Check
- $300 travel credit
- $450 annual fee (I assume not waived the first year like the regular Sapphire Preferred)

Moderator Comment: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here. — Sep. 25, 2016 @ 8:58pm
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
i used to transfer points as well to get better value at hyatt, and was totally unaware of chase travel site (through th... (more)

prozario (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 1:08p) |

My statement closes on the 6th and I was planning to book a trip later this month. Called Chase and the rep pushed my cl... (more)

samko (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 5:29p) |

Cool, my NJ EZ-Pass let me do a one time payment so I could just add $300 into my EZ-Pass account.  Way better option th... (more)

robstrash (Dec. 02, 2016 @ 9:10a) |

Link to apply with bonus language: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/chase-sapphire-reserve1?CELL=6304&IS2F=Y71UH0

5/24 is being enforced, unless you are CPC or have a preapproval in branch. Unless one of those situations apply to you, DO NOT apply for this card if you have opened more than 5 Visa/MC/Amex cards in the past 2 years (excluding (most) business cards.) If you have opened store cards and that sends you over the 5 card cutoff, you will need to call recon and explain.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
CPC try waiver?

Airport lounge access details?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   Airport lounge access details?
Priority Pass Select (guest policy unknown)

rated:
Open to everyone, no private client requirement.

It sounds like it will be the Visa Infinite lounge access: http://www.visapremium.com/

rated:
if the travel credit is yearly then it would be awesome... (not anniversary , just calendar like with Amex plat)

rated:
100k points seems good right?  Or is this standard on the points?  AMEX and Citi I feel don't have as many options for cashing in points, but I could be way off.

rated:
isjka said:   100k points seems good right?  Or is this standard on the points?  AMEX and Citi I feel don't have as many options for cashing in points, but I could be way off.
  100K points = $1,000 cash.

More if used to book travel via Chase's portal, and even more if used strategically by way of transferring points.

rated:
104k points is minimum $1040. Plus $300 travel credit. Less $450 fee. Less $80 lost cashback on the $4k in spending. That's $810 in value, minimum.

Great deal.

rated:
Wonder if the travel credit and TSA credit are calendar year or anniversary year. Potential to get both myself and wife TSA precheck and $600 in travel credit on one $450 fee.

rated:
Assuming this is similar to the Ritz-Carlton card, the $300 will be for travel incidentals and not airfare like the Citi Prestige. Unlike with Amex Platinum, one needs to call in to get a reimbursement for travel and there is less room for creativity in using the credit than with Amex.

rated:
The points will be worth 1.5 cents each if you spend them on travel through the Chase travel portal. So 100k points is worth at least $1500. Can be more valuable transferred to partners, though.

Hopefully the travel credit is useful, not just incidentals. It should post automatically, unlike the Ritz.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/heres-chase-telling-bankers-upcomi... 

I've also seen a rumor of 12 Gogo wifi passes.

rated:
Don't forget the $100 credit Global Entry refund if you haven't done that with another card- it really is a great benefit when flying.

rated:
I am going to be jumping on this first day.  Hopefully 5/24 doesn't bite me...

rated:
i thought the travel bonus is 20 percent more so is it not 1.2 not 1.5 ?  am i wrong about this ?  thanks 

rated:
what would be able to be used as travel credit ?

rated:
henryj1 said:   i thought the travel bonus is 20 percent more so is it not 1.2 not 1.5 ?  am i wrong about this ?  thanks 
  Different card, different bonus.  This new card is 1.5

rated:
Visa Infinite is still just Priority Pass access. Which means it is fairly bad for US access. (AMEX didn't start making Centurion Lounges because they WANTED to, but because the airlines were yanking club access in some of the major hubs or restricting it more and more)

I have almost shut down my Platinum card several times, it is literally only the Centurion Club in DFW (where I always fly out of) that has stopped me. I still should kill it, even with the airline fee refund I don't use the club enough not to just pay for daily pass a few times a year. I will likely get the new Chase card for at least one year -- plus that $300 sounds like its calendar based like AMEX. So that would be $600 alone, and the palladium also triggered the $300 on car rentals if I read correctly.

All in all its definitely worth a hard pull.

rated:
I just cancelled my Sapphire Preferred 2 weeks ago as it was about to renew/charge me annual fee. I had it for 2 years and used lots and never had a balance.  

Wondering if Chase would let me apply for reserve and get all the bonuses? $450 is steep but I qualify and can use all the bonuses offered.  I don't have a stack of new cards just for bonuses (so 5/24 rule shouldn't apply to me).  

rated:
ck90211 said:   I just cancelled my Sapphire Preferred 2 weeks ago as it was about to renew/charge me annual fee. I had it for 2 years and used lots and never had a balance.  

Wondering if Chase would let me apply for reserve and get all the bonuses? $450 is steep but I qualify and can use all the bonuses offered.  I don't have a stack of new cards just for bonuses (so 5/24 rule shouldn't apply to me).  

It depends on the interval between bonuses: it has to be two years iirc. So even if you just cancelled if you've had the card open over two years you can re-apply and be bonus eligible.

Shut down my old Chase AARP last summer (right before they sent me a new one & told me 3x points on restaurants!).  Signed up and got the intro bonus a few months later.

rated:
LeveragedSpeculator said:   ck90211 said:   I just cancelled my Sapphire Preferred 2 weeks ago as it was about to renew/charge me annual fee. I had it for 2 years and used lots and never had a balance.  

It depends on the interval between bonuses: it has to be two years iirc. So even if you just cancelled if you've had the card open over two years you can re-apply and be bonus eligible.
Those two year limits are per-product, and this is a brand new product.

rated:
Should be no problem getting this if I have csp? I was gonna get global entry but I'll wait til I get this card so it'll be free.

rated:
Great Deal for the 100k points. If you can swallow the initial fee you are profiting at least $550. I already hit 5 chase cards in the past 24 months so fingers crossed this one goes through.

rated:
Let's hope they're ok with my 30 cards in the last 24 months

rated:
RedWolfe01 said:   

While the amex DFW lounge has nice food options it is really small and very crowded during peak hours...I much prefer the AA lounges as they are bigger and available at more terminals....unless you fly mostly internationally and mainly use the amex lounge for free foods...

rated:
I wonder what $300 travel credit mean exactly. Is it redeemable for gift cards?

rated:
mysteryAgain said:   I wonder what $300 travel credit mean exactly. Is it redeemable for gift cards?

based on what i read .. it is similar to other cards with $400 or so fee - basically if you book travel/car rental etc. you get credit back - so wont be a gift cards, say you charge $500 for an airline ticket, you'll get credit in amount of $300.  Based on what i read, it could be redeemed for any travel expense and not restricted to airline extra stuff like baggage/food.  So if you travel every year and have those expense .... the $450 annual fee becomes sort of $150.

Would've bee really cool if they waived the 1st year fee lol 

rated:
j9jm3 said:   Great Deal for the 100k points. If you can swallow the initial fee you are profiting at least $550. I already hit 5 chase cards in the past 24 months so fingers crossed this one goes through.
  Why $550?   To use it - you got to have travel expense/travel plan i would think.  So you get back $300 in travel expense, plus you book through Chase portal (their hotel prices are very competitive) .. and you can redeem $1,500 worth of hotels/airfare etc.  So you can easily get to $1,350 benefit ... and could do better than that, if it works out by transferring to travel partners.   Hyatt hotels are great value .. i was able to get 3 nights at SF Hyatt for 15,000 points - that hotel is like $300 a night.  So basically i got $900 worth by transferring 45,000 chase reward points to hyatt reward.

rated:
these chase rewards points are great .. i had the chase sap pref, and closed it after 1 year; then got chase biz .. which i'm keeping long term (has 5x for utility bills). You just need one of these premium/paid account to get the transfer point feature. So far i got about 120K points between the two cards. And if i can get another 100K points - would be very nice.

rated:
prozario said:   these chase rewards points are great .. i had the chase sap pref, and closed it after 1 year; then got chase biz .. which i'm keeping long term (has 5x for utility bills). You just need one of these premium/paid account to get the transfer point feature. So far i got about 120K points between the two cards. And if i can get another 100K points - would be very nice.
  Are you just referring to the Ink (with 5x for Internet/Cable/Phone?) or is there one I missed that gives 5% on utilities like Water/Electric?

rated:
Anyone else think it's odd that it becomes available on a Sunday? 8/21

rated:
Thinking about ditching Amex plat for this. Anyone else thinking about doing the same? Asides from losing access to delta Sky and centurion lounges, does anyone see other significant downsides?

rated:
HideAndSeek said:   Thinking about ditching Amex plat for this. Anyone else thinking about doing the same? Asides from losing access to delta Sky and centurion lounges, does anyone see other significant downsides?
I currently have both the Amex Plat and Citi Prestige. I'm still in the first year of both, and will likely be canceling the Amex shortly (I got it last September). Still not sure on the Prestige, and my annual fee isn't up until April. The recently announced changes make me more likely to cancel, but it's still not bad for $200 after the airline credit if I can take advantage of the 4th night free enough. I'll be getting the Sapphire Reserve as well, assuming Chase is willing to give it to me. But I don't know about keeping it, either. It will pretty much depend on what qualifies for the travel credit. If I can easily max out the $300 value on that, it's an easy keeper for $150. I'll miss the Centurion lounges, I like them a lot. Priority Pass, which is likely what the Sapphire Reserve will have, is not that useful in the US. 

rated:
prozario said:   
j9jm3 said:   Great Deal for the 100k points. If you can swallow the initial fee you are profiting at least $550. I already hit 5 chase cards in the past 24 months so fingers crossed this one goes through.
  Why $550?   To use it - you got to have travel expense/travel plan i would think.  So you get back $300 in travel expense, plus you book through Chase portal (their hotel prices are very competitive) .. and you can redeem $1,500 worth of hotels/airfare etc.  So you can easily get to $1,350 benefit ... and could do better than that, if it works out by transferring to travel partners.   Hyatt hotels are great value .. i was able to get 3 nights at SF Hyatt for 15,000 points - that hotel is like $300 a night.  So basically i got $900 worth by transferring 45,000 chase reward points to hyatt reward.

$550 is the absolute minimum you come out ahead.  Redeem 100K UR points for $1,000 check.  - $450 AF = $550.  

That's assuming you don't book for travel (+$500), you don't use the Global Entry reimbursement(+$100), you don't use the $300 travel reimbursement for either calendar year (+$600).  

So you could pretty easily come out $1750 ahead.

AND - if you've already got a stockpile of UR points, it also makes those much more valuable to redeem for travel (1.5 points vs 1.2).  If you've got 100K points, that's an extra $300. 

rated:
jameswes said:   AND - if you've already got a stockpile of UR points, it also makes those much more valuable to redeem for travel (1.5 points vs 1.2).  If you've got 100K points, that's an extra $300. 
  Only if you don't use any of the partner transfers.  Those are the same at 1:1 (on Ink or CSP), and can come out to 1.6-2+ cents/pt.

Still, depending on the travel credit, I think I might drop the CSP and move to this one.

rated:
metsfan said:   
HideAndSeek said:   Thinking about ditching Amex plat for this. Anyone else thinking about doing the same? Asides from losing access to delta Sky and centurion lounges, does anyone see other significant downsides?
I currently have both the Amex Plat and Citi Prestige. I'm still in the first year of both, and will likely be canceling the Amex shortly (I got it last September). Still not sure on the Prestige, and my annual fee isn't up until April. The recently announced changes make me more likely to cancel, but it's still not bad for $200 after the airline credit if I can take advantage of the 4th night free enough. I'll be getting the Sapphire Reserve as well, assuming Chase is willing to give it to me. But I don't know about keeping it, either. It will pretty much depend on what qualifies for the travel credit. If I can easily max out the $300 value on that, it's an easy keeper for $150. I'll miss the Centurion lounges, I like them a lot. Priority Pass, which is likely what the Sapphire Reserve will have, is not that useful in the US. 

Hey thanks for your opinion on this, it helps.  Just out of curiosity, what's the "recently announced changes" that you cited above for amex?  Also good point on waiting to see what we can use the airline fee credits on.  I've used it to upgrade seats in the past so being able to do the same would be nice.

Also, I have to hand it to Amex's customer support.  They are pretty awesome.  Hope Chase reserve will be at the same caliber.

rated:
HideAndSeek said:   
metsfan said:   

Hey thanks for your opinion on this, it helps.  Just out of curiosity, what's the "recently announced changes" that you cited above for amex?  Also good point on waiting to see what we can use the airline fee credits on.  I've used it to upgrade seats in the past so being able to do the same would be nice.

Also, I have to hand it to Amex's customer support.  They are pretty awesome.  Hope Chase reserve will be at the same caliber.

The recently announced changes are for the Citi Prestige, not the Amex. (Losing AA lounge access, fourth night free now the average of the cost and don't include taxes so it's less useful if the 4th night was very expensive, points only worth 1.33c each on all airlines, no longer 1.6c on AA flights. These changes don't start until next summer.) 

rated:
metsfan said:   
HideAndSeek said:   
metsfan said:   

The recently announced changes are for the Citi Prestige, not the Amex. (Losing AA lounge access, fourth night free now the average of the cost and don't include taxes so it's less useful if the 4th night was very expensive, points only worth 1.33c each on all airlines, no longer 1.6c on AA flights. These changes don't start until next summer.) 

Ah got it.  Amex went through similar changes a few years back prior to introduction of centurion lounge/studios.  They lost access to lounges from popular carriers.   Also good to know about fine prints/changes around 4th night free and the upcoming devaluation when used for flights. Thanks for all the tips/info!

rated:
EdMcK515 said:   Wonder if the travel credit and TSA credit are calendar year or anniversary year. Potential to get both myself and wife TSA precheck and $600 in travel credit on one $450 fee.
Chase Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa has annual travel credit issued for the calendar year. The Mar-riott and IHG reward CC give annual hotel certificates on your anniversary year. Citi Prestige travel credit is issued in the calendar year. Amex Platinum Card travel credit is also per calendar year. So, we shall see..  

rated:
View said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   

While the amex DFW lounge has nice food options it is really small and very crowded during peak hours...I much prefer the AA lounges as they are bigger and available at more terminals....unless you fly mostly internationally and mainly use the amex lounge for free foods...

Other than, you know, the fact that AA no longer participates in the AMEX lounge program and is essentially WHY one of the first Centurion's went into Dallas?  Personally I sort of resented that Citi forced AA to dump Amex so their product was more enticing.  So you get a SINGLE lounge access with AA versus the 4 systems that were consolidated in AMEX.  (United/Delta/AA/Priority)    Since I am based in Dallas AA's pulling access REALLY hurt.

Of course now nobody in their right mind would pay for AA access separately, unless they fall into a very specific use case where they have more guests flying with them like a large family or you fly out of Dallas a lot on a different airlines and want access even on another airlines metal..  Otherwise it makes more sense to get an Exec membership.  

Sapphire Reserve is only worth it with the mileage bonus, I could care less about the Priority access alone - being a US based flyer.  It is a non-factor, even if I do dump my AMEX first.  I really don't fly enough though, usually I drive between jobs and its been a while since I had corp compensated travel.  

Skipping 558 Messages...
rated:
seawolf21 said:   
jd2010 said:   Any creative ways to get the travel credit before end of year? I have to use a corporate amex on the road.
  Buy airline gift card.  Take uber.  Fill ez pass.

travel category is last question in FAQ.

https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/assets/page/Online_Rewards_FAQ

Cool, my NJ EZ-Pass let me do a one time payment so I could just add $300 into my EZ-Pass account.  Way better option than buying a gift card and remembering to use it.  My next statement is Dec 26 so should just make it!!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016