• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
I graduated from grad school last year and immediately refinanced with SoFi. The variable rate wasn't that good since my credit score was low after being in school with credit card debt and all, but the rate was slightly better than what it was.

It has been over a year since I started working and my credit score has moved from 740 ot 825. I also got rid of all credit card debt, got a raise at my job, and paid down about 15k of the student loan principal. Should I take a hard pull and refinance now or wait a little longer? Any downsides if I refinance again now? I'm looking for a higher paying job at the moment and may consider waiting until this happens.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

what is principal and interest on current loan?

imbatman said:   what is principal and interest on current loan?

120K and interest is variable at 5%.

Looking at SoFi's interest rate range, I got the higher end of it when I refinanced last year with a worse credit profile.

Check out commonbond. I haven't been keeping up with who has the best rates now, but I got a 1.92 5 yr variable about 18 months ago with almost identical balance. (I think libor went up 25 basis points since then so you should probably be targeting 2.2% or so)

Hard pulls are only a couple of points on a fico, in the grand scheme a very small deal. FWF overstates the importance of them. If you're saving more than a couple hundred bucks over the life of the loan it's probably worth.

Hard pulls for student loans consolidate into one pull as long as they are done within 30 days (at least this is the case for new student loans, I also assume it's true for refinancing). I'd second Commonbond as well as checking Discover, First Republic, Citizens, and Suntrust.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016