Options against debt collector?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A few years ago I booked an appointment with a doctor whom I've never seen, had to cancel day of appointment as something came up.  A few months later I got this bill for $75 for missed appointment (this was not mentioned in the phone call when I booked), and I ignored the couple of bills after that as well

fast forward 2+ years later, I got this bill plus interest from a debt collector for $100

I do not think I'm liable for this amount as I've never seen this doctor and was never made aware of this missed appointment fee.  I'm thinking about calling the debt collector and sending a letter using a template from CFPB, what other options I have?

thanks in advance

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Ding ding. 

On another note, I had a doc visit a year or so ago that gave me that message after making the appointment th... (more)

justignoredem (Aug. 15, 2016 @ 1:58p) |

Meh... the Dr's I've gone to with cancellation fees are the ones that DONT usually make you wait and run on-schedule. P... (more)

Bend3r (Aug. 15, 2016 @ 2:33p) |

Still working at WalMart with your deadbeat lawsuit millions?

Crazytree (Aug. 15, 2016 @ 11:50p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I dispute, please validate.

Did you cancel? Or, did you just not show up?

monger said:   had to cancel day of appointment 

I do not think I'm liable for this amount as I've never seen this doctor and was never made aware of this missed appointment fee.  

So how would you feel if a repair man is scheduled to come to your house, so you take an unpaid day off work, and then he calls at 1pm saying something else came up and he can't come today?

Check the statute of limitations in your state.
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-state-st...
Double check that info.  Info for couple of states has been disputed by posters
http://www.debtorboards.com/index.php

Many FW folk like Credit Boards which is different than above
 https://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showforum=39

If they call you by phone, you can instruct them not to call you at work / at home.
Dispute as planned.
CreditKarma to see if on your credit report. IF yes, CreditKarma now offers dispute procedure help.

Most if not all doctors require 24 or even 48 hours advanced notice. Yes, they show up late or even cancel and patients have zero recourse. However we agree to their terms.

...nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know.

Just kidding. C47 has it right - show me where I agreed to those terms or pay me for violating my rights.

atikovi said:   

I do not think I'm liable for this amount as I've never seen this doctor and was never made aware of this missed appointment fee.  

So how would you feel if a repair man is scheduled to come to your house, so you take an unpaid day off work, and then he calls at 1pm saying something else came up and he can't come today?

Well, send him a bill then, duh!.... Poor doctor. I bet he was able to keep another patient waiting only 2 hours instead of 4 due to this horrible "missed appointment"

infogirlgeek said:   Poor doctor. I bet he was able to keep another patient waiting only 2 hours instead of 4 due to this horrible "missed appointment"

Not if you have a concierge doctor.

atikovi said:   monger said:   had to cancel day of appointment 

So I can bill them $75! Sweet!

monger said:   

You should have made this argument to the doctor's office when you received the bills.  But instead you ignored it.  The doctor sold the debt to the collector.  Now the collector wants his money.  

atikovi said:   monger said:   had to cancel day of appointment 

lol noob mistake. make them come in the evening or on saturday. I have yet to take a day off work for scheduled Dr appt or repair persob.

the only thing in life you can't do outside of regular business hours are govt offices. but you can always pay someone to do it for you

rufflesinc said:   
atikovi said:   

lol noob mistake. make them come in the evening or on saturday. I have yet to take a day off work for scheduled Dr appt or repair persob.

the only thing in life you can't do outside of regular business hours are govt offices. but you can always pay someone to do it for you

You can pay someone to go to the DMV and renew your drivers license? Sweet.

atikovi said:   
rufflesinc said:   
atikovi said:   

You can pay someone to go to the DMV and renew your drivers license? Sweet.

No, I don't , I mail in a form and get the license in the mail .

Around here , the SOS is open late on wednesdays and also on saturdays, so there's also no need to take off from work to visit the SOS. I was talking about filing paperwork and crap like that doesn't require 

Pretty sure you have to show up in person in most states so they can take your picture.

atikovi said:   Pretty sure you have to show up in person in most states so they can take your picture.
  In MI they keep using your old one

rufflesinc said:   
atikovi said:   Pretty sure you have to show up in person in most states so they can take your picture.

That's insane. A 60 year old has his age 16 picture on his license? I imagine that causes all kinds of problems when you have to present a picture ID anywhere.

atikovi said:   
rufflesinc said:   

That's insane. A 60 year old has his age 16 picture on his license? I imagine that causes all kinds of problems when you have to present a picture ID anywhere.

I think there is a limit, the website is not clear what it is.

rufflesinc said:   atikovi said:   Pretty sure you have to show up in person in most states so they can take your picture.

I've never been allowed to renew by mail twice in a row, they make you come in for a written exam and new photo at least every 8 years. How long have you lived here?

Exactly. In MI, you can renew by mail every other time, unless you got a traffic ticket in the previous 4 years, then you must renew in person.  But they are open late on Wed, and many are open on Saturdays as well, so there are ways to avoid taking time off.

Pay your bill deadbeat!!!!!!!! This should effect your FICO score also if they report it like i would.

bopc1996 said:   Pay your bill deadbeat!!!!!!!! This should effect your FICO score also if they report it like i would.
getting charged for something due to a business's policy that they never disclosed...Meh, i think i'd dispute it too.

Wow a doctor engages a collection Agency for $75.

forbin4040 said:   Wow a doctor engages a collection Agency for $75.

It's okay, next time one makes you wait 30 minutes past your agreed appointment time you can bill them for wasting your time.

Everyone's missing the point. At this point, it's not whether it was a righteous charge anymore or whether or not it was properly disclosed.

OP ignored several bills for the same thing. That's the issue. Now, the collector could care less whether the charge was right or not. The collector bought the debt now he wants to collect. If OP calls the collector, he can probably negotiate it down. $100 is not worth something going on you credit report IMO.

Chill99 said:   Everyone's missing the point. At this point, it's not whether it was a righteous charge anymore or whether or not it was properly disclosed.

OP ignored several bills for the same thing. That's the issue. Now, the collector could care less whether the charge was right or not. The collector bought the debt now he wants to collect. If OP calls the collector, he can probably negotiate it down. $100 is not worth something going on you credit report IMO.

Right..which is why after getting turned down trying to negotiate it to go away with the office, you complain to everyone possible while its a "bill" and not in collection. The more public, the better.

Doctor probably sold a file cabinet full of uncollected bills to the collection agency for a set % and the $75 happened to be among them.

Yes,
I just got a bill from a collections agency for $33.
Best part is that I paid them the money in April less than 1 week after I got the bill, but they credited my account wrong.

Sorry OP, but you should have took this up with the doctors office when you first got the bill.

codename47 said:   I dispute, please validate.

Ding ding. 

On another note, I had a doc visit a year or so ago that gave me that message after making the appointment that there is a $x cancellation fee if you cancel the day of. Are you serious? I guess you also agree to my terms and conditions of paying me $5 for every minute the doctor is late in taking me back. I've been sitting on a gold mine waiting 1-2 hours all the time every time...

On that note alone, I decided to find a different doctor than go to someone as stupid as that to put cancellation fees into their appointments.

justignoredem said:   

On that note alone, I decided to find a different doctor than go to someone as stupid as that to put cancellation fees into their appointments.

Meh... the Dr's I've gone to with cancellation fees are the ones that DONT usually make you wait and run on-schedule. Plus if you have a legitimate reason for cancelling at the last minute (or they just like you), they won't charge a fee anyway. Having the fee should help them not have to over-schedule to cover no-shows, by serving the main function of reducing no-shows and the lesser function of covering a tiny portion of overhead costs.

codename47 said:   I dispute, please validate.
  Still working at WalMart with your deadbeat lawsuit millions?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017