• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I wanted to warn everyone about the customer unfriendly policies of us bank fraud prevention.  2 days ago they declined a purchase I tried to make through WalMart.com on my debit card, even though there was plenty of money in the account.  When I called to find out why, they told me it was declined as "suspicious" and they had put a block on my card, and also retroactively declined 2 prior purchases that had been approved (one was my cell phone bill, the other my car insurance billl).  They never contcted me to let me know about this or about putting the block on my card.  After answering a few questions they reinstated my card, but refused to reinstate the charges they'd retroactively blocked.  They told me it was my responsibility to contact the billers to fix their problem.  As a result, I was without a cellphone or car insurance for 2 days over the weekend.

This is totally unreasonable.  The purchases I made  were all from merchants I'd charged regularly on my card, and retroctively declining prior purchases that they'd already approved seems like potential fraud, not to mention not trying to contact me to inform me of blocking my card.  After 10 years as a usbank customer i'll be moving my accounts elsewhere.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Cool story.
Use a credit card.
Contact the CFPB.

susswein said:     As a result, I was without a cellphone or car insurance for 2 days over the weekend.
Really? Because that never happens, let alone within an hour(?) of the charge being declined. Even when you call to report a fraudulent charge, you typically have to wait for the charge to post before it can be disputed. How do you know you had no phone or car insurance over the weekend, and if so why didn't you simply re-pay those bills after the charges had supposedly been canceled?

Sucks but debit card = bank is out money on fraud, credit card = merchant doesn't get paid on fraud. Which one do you think the bank is going to be willing to take chances with and then settle in your favor?

Glitch99 said:   
susswein said:     As a result, I was without a cellphone or car insurance for 2 days over the weekend.
Really? Because that never happens, let alone within an hour(?) of the charge being declined. Even when you call to report a fraudulent charge, you typically have to wait for the charge to post before it can be disputed. How do you know you had no phone or car insurance over the weekend, and if so why didn't you simply re-pay those bills after the charges had supposedly been canceled?

Calling to report fraudulent charges is often a very different process than the bank's automatic measures used without any input from the cardholder. 

1. Don't use debit card
2. see #1.
3. US Bank sucks, move on

Yup - they blocked my credit card due to suspicious activity (WM charges that I made) which is fine - I called and tried to clear it up. 2 times they said they unblocked it. It was still blocked. Third time, they said I have to go into a physical bank. The card will remain blocked and they have lost my business.

Glitch99 said:   

1)  I  never called to report a fraudulent charge; they marked a legitimate charge as suspicious and immediately changed the status of the other charged that had previously been approved.
2) I knew my phone had stopped working when I tried to make a call and got a recording to say the phone had been deauthorized.  Ever try  to talk to a real human being at Straight Talk over the weekekd?
3) I knew my car insurance wasn't valoid because they told me so when I contacted them to arrange repayment.

scoutconnor said:   Cool story.
Use a credit card.
Contact the CFPB.

USBank CC can be equally frustrating. I've had blocks @ WM, had them cleared, only to be followed up by a block again, followed by clear, followed by block while on the phone with USB to try to prevent block.
Gave up used AMEX.

Just as an FYI - they cannot "reinstate" a charge. The charge was declined and there is no way for the other end to be told that it somehow got authorized.

Use a credit card, and have more than one.

Not using debit card (especially online) but CC is spot on.

That still doesnt justify US Bank's behavior. The common factor in all posts here with US Bank problems seems to be a charge at Wally. I am not sure if they were all online but Wally online is notorious for weak security. Indeed Wally has a habit of presumably randomly) declining half the orders placed, regardless of which card was used.

op - it's a deadly combination of Wally World plus US Bank.....both these organizations routinely decline txns....it seems that you've succeeded at managing to hit both in a single transaction......

susswein said:   also retroactively declined 2 prior purchases that had been approved (one was my cell phone bill, the other my car insurance billl)

How does this work? Can US bank really reverse a posted charge without OP's consent? What if OP gets into an accident during this time and his car insurance denies coverage because the payment was reversed?

imbatman said:   
Use a credit card.
Contact the CFPB.

USBank CC can be equally frustrating. I've had blocks @ WM, had them cleared, only to be followed up by a block again, followed by clear, followed by block while on the phone with USB to try to prevent block.
Gave up used AMEX.

USB 1.0 or 2.0?

qcumber98 said:   
imbatman said:   
Use a credit card.
Contact the CFPB.

Gave up used AMEX.

USB 1.0 or 2.0?

susswein said:    2 days ago they declined a purchase I tried to make through WalMart. com on my debit card, even though there was plenty of money in the account.  
  Since you're a newbie here you get some slack but no self respecting FW'er would use a debit card when they can use a credit card to earn cash back or rewards. 

FYI, calling U.S. Bank before making a purchase does nothing to prevent them from declining that purchase. Due to previous issues that I had with them, I contacted U.S. Bank to let them know that I would be purchasing a plane ticket in my name from the state in which I live to Canada. Ten minutes later they froze my card for "suspicious" activity. I too gave up and used AmEx.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017