• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
Just came across this article while doing research

Company had to pay nearly $600K to an employee. Anyone think it is getting out of hand? 

"..Butcher repeatedly informed company officials that submitting to biometric hand scanning violated his sincerely held religious beliefs as an Evangelical Christian. He also wrote a letter to company officials explaining his beliefs about the relationship between hand-scanning technology and the "Mark of the Beast" and the Antichrist discussed in the New Testament's Book of Revelation, and requesting an exemption from the hand scanning based on his religious beliefs."

edit. punctuation error 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

150k was for damages , the rest was for lost wages

it's not any crazier excuse than asking to not work on sabbath or Ramadan or Sunday or whatevs

This seems fair, considering how easily the company could have accommodated the employee.

diamente said:   Anyone think it is getting out of hand?
Yes, I think the use of biometrics is absolutely getting out of hand, and it's clearly still in its very early infancy.  I'm an athiest, but I believe strongly that any use of biometric data for identification purposes can only lead to negative outcomes.

It's too bad you have to be part of a cult to have an excuse or get legal compensation for refusing to submit to biometric id.

DTASFAB said:   
diamente said:   getting out of hand?

getting out of hand

Biometrics pun?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016