• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So I have an individual HDHP from work and have already met the deductible and coinsurance limits for the year. What am I to do in order to maximize my benefits for the rest of the year? I have already hit up an ER when I had a fever in the middle of the night. Hospital billed $1,200 for pumping me full of saline, I ended up paying less than $90.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
"electrocuted" would imply that you died.  In which case, having met your HDHP deductible is not going to be of much hel... (more)

defjukie (Nov. 10, 2016 @ 12:46p) |

Maybe not directly relevant to the question posed by the OP, but I've thought quite a bit about maximizing participation... (more)

TJtv (Nov. 10, 2016 @ 11:31p) |

About time.

jaytrader (Nov. 11, 2016 @ 7:59a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Jump in front of a moving train?

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Jump in front of a moving train?
  But that involves getting hit by a train

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

Shoot yourself in the leg with an illegal gun like Plaxico Burress?

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Shoot yourself in the leg with an illegal gun like Plaxico Burress?

that involves getting shot with a gun and maybe going to prison

rated:
rufflesinc said:   Hospital billed $1,200 for pumping me full of saline, I ended up paying less than $90.
You just flushed $90 down the toilet and you want FW's advice on how to do it again???

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
rufflesinc said:   Hospital billed $1,200 for pumping me full of saline, I ended up paying less than $90.
You just flushed $90 down the toilet and you want FW's advice on how to do it again???

idk, i got more than $90 of value when I had a 102 fever. that $90 btw was due to using up the rest of my limits

rated:
Get circumcised.

rated:
Get a vasectomy.

rated:
lonestarguy said:   Get circumcised.
  Is it worth it?

rated:
DTASFAB said:   Get a vasectomy.
  green for good idea

rated:
How did you fulfill it? Are you generally sick a lot or did you have some sort of expensive surgery? Do you need any physical therapy from the surgery? How about your back? Does it ache at all? Why not go to the chiropractor? A lot of chiropractors these days are 10-15 minutes of "adjustments" and then 45 minutes of massage therapy.

rated:
meade18 said:   How did you fulfill it? Are you generally sick a lot or did you have some sort of expensive surgery? Do you need any physical therapy from the surgery? How about your back? Does it ache at all? Why not go to the chiropractor? A lot of chiropractors these days are 10-15 minutes of "adjustments" and then 45 minutes of massage therapy.
  My wife made me do a  sleep study  and I didn't do research before and didn't know I did HDHP until after I did it. will look into a chiropractor as my back and knees need some adjusting

rated:
The only way to benefit would be to have other medically necessary procedures performed, and that depends on your condition. You can't put off getting a cast for your broken leg, but you can schedule when you get bone spurs or wisdom teeth removed.

If you don't have any procedures you've been putting off (and you don't want to injure yourself), there's not much you can do to make the most of your insurance.

rated:
If your HDHP covers Rx, then get a bad oxy habit going.

rated:
jaytrader said:   If your HDHP covers Rx, then get a bad oxy habit going.
  Get a script for medical marijuana, then share it with your FW brethren.

rated:
You paid $90 to take care of a 102° fever?  Unless you're a child that's the biggest waste of money I've heard of in a long time, especially coming from a FatWallet member.  Can't remember the last time I did anything more than ibuprofen for a fever unless it was one of my kids...

I suppose you're looking at it from the standpoint that you didn't have to pay $1,200, but I'm looking at it from the standpoint that you could have taken an extra dose of ibuprofen, gone back to sleep and saved yourself $90.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

rated:
ChinaRider said:   You paid $90 to take care of a 102° fever?  Unless you're a child that's the biggest waste of money I've heard of in a long time, especially coming from a FatWallet member.  Can't remember the last time I did anything more than ibuprofen for a fever unless it was one of my kids...

I suppose you're looking at it from the standpoint that you didn't have to pay $1,200, but I'm looking at it from the standpoint that you could have taken an extra dose of ibuprofen, gone back to sleep and saved yourself $90.

My health is priceless and I can't remember the last time I ever had a fever. Would have been in my teens

rated:
I'm in a similar situation this year OP.  I think some of your red is due to your phrasing and/or the way you are approaching the problem.  It's not responsible to go to the doctor just to "stick it" to the insurance company (not saying you did) and get a ton of stuff done that you wouldn't otherwise normally do.  However, I do think it's smart to think about a slightly more pro-active approach to personal health when you're in this position.  For instance, wife had a knee surgery this year after many problems for years.  Just to make sure that we don't end up doing the other knee next year at full cost, we did get an MRI to check things out and see if that was a possibility (it's not, thank goodness).  Obviously family planning is an option here also, but too late in the year to consider. Anything else that has been bothering you, feel free to at least get it checked out and verify that it's not a symptom of a bigger problem.  Mental health is also important, so don't skimp on that either if it's something that helps you.  All this being said, be responsible about it. Going to the ER "just because" is not.

rated:
Have a baby!

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
DTASFAB said:   

idk, i got more than $90 of value when I had a 102 fever

Did you really, though? I mean, you could've bought some Pedialyte for $10. If you really wanted to be seen by a medial professional, a visit to your PCP or even a walk-in clinic would cost way less than an ER whether or not you've met the deductible. A bag of saline and an IV kit isn't worth $90.

rated:
ChinaRider said:   You paid $90 to take care of a 102° fever?  Unless you're a child that's the biggest waste of money I've heard of in a long time, especially coming from a FatWallet member.  Can't remember the last time I did anything more than ibuprofen for a fever unless it was one of my kids...
  102 fever after alternating doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen would definitely be a valid reason to go to an urgent care (or ER, depending on actually having other symptoms).  102 is a significant fever, the short term solution is to attempt to reduce it...  Not to run to an ER.

rated:
If dental is included. Get the expensive procedures done. Once I got 5 gold crowns in the back for $250. Yes they were needed & not bling.

rated:
Full body cat scan then have the doc cut out anything strange.

Also weekly coliniscopy, if that's your thing, not that there's anything wrong with that.

rated:
doveroftke said:   rufflesinc said:   
DTASFAB said:   

idk, i got more than $90 of value when I had a 102 fever

Did you really, though? I mean, you could've bought some Pedialyte for $10. If you really wanted to be seen by a medial professional, a visit to your PCP or even a walk-in clinic would cost way less than an ER whether or not you've met the deductible. A bag of saline and an IV kit isn't worth $90.

I woke up at 1am with chills , urgent care closes at 10pm

plus I don't trust the diagnostic skills of rn or pa

rated:

fwuser12 said:   Have a baby!
  Well this thread is about as FWF as any new-car/crown vic thread.

rated:
OP, I know this topic has come up at least a couple times over the years, try to do a search for it. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I remember there being at least a couple good ideas.

Such as:

Man, I don't even know how to value this. A free vasectomy plus the NPV of the future savings! If you consider just the NPV of the future savings as the value of a vasectomy, they're already way undervalued, I'm sure!

rated:
ShaneM said:   Mental health is also important, so don't skimp on that either.

I think ShaneM (perhaps unknowingly) has hit on the perfect solution for the OP!

rated:
BingBlangBlaow said:   DTASFAB said:   Get a vasectomy.

Man, I don't even know how to value this. A free vasectomy plus the NPV of the future savings! If you consider just the NPV of the future savings as the value of a vasectomy, they're already way undervalued, I'm sure!

To maximize the benefit OP should get at least four vasectomies.

rated:
jayK said:   
BingBlangBlaow said:   

Right... just in case the first three weren't enough!

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

My health is priceless and I can't remember the last time I ever had a fever. Would have been in my teens

When I was a child, I had a fever. My hands felt just like two balloons. Now I've got that feeling once again. I can't explain, you would not understand. This is not how I am.

rated:
dermatologist - for my plan we have 0% coverage until deductible met - always a good idea to check out moles, etc.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
jayK said:   
BingBlangBlaow said:   

Right... just in case the first three weren't enough!

To be really safe he might even want to get castrated.

rated:
meade18 said:   How did you fulfill it? Are you generally sick a lot or did you have some sort of expensive surgery? Do you need any physical therapy from the surgery? How about your back? Does it ache at all? Why not go to the chiropractor? A lot of chiropractors these days are 10-15 minutes of "adjustments" and then 45 minutes of massage therapy.
  thanks, made appointment for chiropractor next week! eat that, aetna

rated:
I posted something like this a while back. You're getting yelled at by FW simply because of the way you worded it.

Nothing wrong with a derm. exam.. vasectomy for sure if you want one.. MRI for any suspicious lumps/internal concerns.. CMP/blood work

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
  thanks, made appointment for chiropractor next week! eat that, aetna

Nice. Hope it works out for you. I had insurance for 7 years that covered chiropractor visits for a $40 co-pay. I never had any back pain so I never used it, but I had a co-worker that used it all the time and said it was the best part of our insurance. Now I have a HDHP and the chiro costs would be 100% on me until I meet the deductible. I'm a little older now and my back is starting to ache, but I don't want to pay full price, so I guess I won't be going until I meet that deductible.

rated:
Drouo said:   
Nothing wrong with a derm. exam..

like for skin cancer?

rated:
I guess it's too late for your parents to have an abortion so I recommend a prefrontal lobotomy

rated:
Hammer said:   I guess it's too late for your parents to have an abortion so I recommend a prefrontal lobotomy
  umm my parents insurance deductible has not been met yet.

Skipping 53 Messages...
rated:
rufflesinc said:   looks like i'll be making one more doctor visit before the end of year, for depression and anxiety
  About time.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017