• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Citi is on a campaign to convert Dividend Rewards cardholders to Citi Double Cash cards.  This time they sent out a rather expensive snail mail piece.  Personally, I am happy with the card I have.  If I wanted the Citi Double Cash card. I would find a sign up bonus offer and apply.  I just prefer other opportunities. 

Member Summary

Citi Double Cash (3.18MB)
Thanks JW10
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yeah, they should just close accounts.

xoneinax (Nov. 19, 2016 @ 6:27p) |

Wife has Citi Diamond Preferred card. Citi is trying so hard to get her to convert to 2% card - multiple mailers, emails... (more)

Powza (Nov. 20, 2016 @ 12:32a) |

Citi has send another expensive mailer trying to get Dividend Rewards cardholders to switch. The current quarter is of l... (more)

JW10 (Jan. 25, 2017 @ 4:20p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I had the Diamond Rewards card or whatever they called it... they got me to convert... I still don't use it. Waste of time dealing with the gimmick of getting 1% back on the purchase and 1% back on the payment. Just give me 2% stupid shitibank.

rated:
I have a Citi Dividend MC and have been thinking of converting to Double Cash, but haven't received an invite via mail yet. Outside of the 5% bonus categories (of mixed value to me, they often overlap with Discover promos), it seems that a 2% reward across the board is about as good as it gets. Gimmicks or not, it's ultimately 2%, right?

I realize there are plenty of other cards with specific high-percentage rewards in certain areas (gas, groceries, etc.), but why wouldn't one want a card that gives 2% on everything?

rated:
yoregano said:   but why wouldn't one want a card that gives 2% on everything?
Blue Cash for groceries, drugstores, gas.  Chase Freedom and Discover It for rotating 5% catetories.  Capital One World MasterCard, TD Cash Rewards Signature Visa, or Chase Freedom Visa for anything requiring buyer protection that I might have to charge back.  Plastic vegan ice cream for everything else.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
Blue Cash for groceries, drugstores, gas.  Chase Freedom and Discover It for rotating 5% catetories.  Capital One World MasterCard, TD Cash Rewards Signature Visa, or Chase Freedom Visa for anything requiring buyer protection that I might have to charge back.  Plastic vegan ice cream for everything else.

Plastic vegan ice cream... huh? Yeah, I know about 5% categories, I already get that. And good point about price/warranty protection purchases. But otherwise, there are a lot of general purchases that don't fit bonus or rotating categories. So if I can get 2% instead of 1% on those, it seems like a no-brainer.

rated:
yoregano said:   
DTASFAB said:   

Plastic vegan ice cream... huh? Yeah, I know about 5% categories, I already get that. And good point about price/warranty protection purchases. But otherwise, there are a lot of general purchases that don't fit bonus or rotating categories. So if I can get 2% instead of 1% on those, it seems like a no-brainer.

I refuse to sign up for cards that simply give a base benefit with no sign-on bonus. 2% is nice, but not giving a sign-on? Screw that, it's not worth the inquiry. I can easily get a no AF card that gives me $200 sign-on - that would take spending $10k on the 2% card. 

Now if they have a sign-on bonus with the Citi Double Cash... I would sign up. 

Until then, my dividend rewards is just fine on its own. I love the 5% rotating categories game. Every quarter I just slap some labels on my cards and it works perfectly.

Also, I have a 2% equivalent card already since my Discover card will double all my cashback in the first year, so that works for me right now.

rated:
yoregano said:   Plastic vegan ice cream... huh? Yeah, I know about 5% categories, I already get that. And good point about price/warranty protection purchases. But otherwise, there are a lot of general purchases that don't fit bonus or rotating categories. So if I can get 2% instead of 1% on those, it seems like a no-brainer.
You have to understand this first https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1516416/?showmessage=19582861

If you don't, you won't know what I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I would simply use the Blue Cash for purchases requiring chargeback protection, but I don't want human eyes looking at my *other* transactions.  And it's my only Amex card.

rated:
The Double cash has the same benefits though some that are better. Their extended warranty protection now adds 2 years to the manufacturer warranty (5 years or less) for total of 7 years. All other cards I know of only add 1 year and may only add a year if manufacturer warranty is 3 year or less. The purchase protection is 120 days up to $1,000 unlike many other cards that is 90 days/$500. The have price/return protection as well although these 2 are not as good as other cards out there.

The 2% Fidelity Visa (formerly AMEX) which most people probably have are a missing a few of these features. The only card I know of having a higher reward % is the BOA Travel Rewards with Platinum Honor status at 2.625%. However, it is also missing a lot of these features as well. Also the fact you need to redeem towards travel is a slight con.

rated:
justignoredem said:    I refuse to sign up for cards that simply give a base benefit with no sign-on bonus. 2% is nice, but not giving a sign-on? Screw that, it's not worth the inquiry.
If you already have a Citi card that you want to convert, it's a straight swap. No inquiry involved. At least that's what I've read in other threads where people have reported their experience. Otherwise, yeah I get it if there's no signup bonus.

rated:
yoregano said:   
justignoredem said:    I refuse to sign up for cards that simply give a base benefit with no sign-on bonus. 2% is nice, but not giving a sign-on? Screw that, it's not worth the inquiry.
If you already have a Citi card that you want to convert, it's a straight swap. No inquiry involved. At least that's what I've read in other threads where people have reported their experience. Otherwise, yeah I get it if there's no signup bonus.

Right, but I want to keep my dividend rewards. Maybe when my Premier/Prestige comes due for the AF I will try to convert it, but at the same time if they decide to start a promotion for the Double Cash with a sign-on bonus I would be screwed from the product conversion I expect?

rated:
DTASFAB said:   I had the Diamond Rewards card or whatever they called it... they got me to convert... I still don't use it. Waste of time dealing with the gimmick of getting 1% back on the purchase and 1% back on the payment. Just give me 2% stupid shitibank.

They give you 2%. I don't see how you waste your time unless you are keeping track of every nickel and penny. I have autopay setup on the account for the full balance and I keep getting the 2% - it just happens - no time and energy wasted. What I like about the card is that the 2% is good on everything - so some large payments like insurance, doctor's bills etc. all get the 2%. I do try to do better than 2% by applying for a new card when my major bills are coming up but there are only so many cards you can apply without getting rejected left and right.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
yoregano said:   Plastic vegan ice cream... huh? Yeah, I know about 5% categories, I already get that. And good point about price/warranty protection purchases. But otherwise, there are a lot of general purchases that don't fit bonus or rotating categories. So if I can get 2% instead of 1% on those, it seems like a no-brainer.
You have to understand this first https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1516416/?showmessage=19582861 

I would simply use the Blue Cash for purchases requiring chargeback protection, but I don't want human eyes looking at my *other* transactions.  And it's my only Amex card.

But what % for non-groceries?

rated:
DTASFAB said:   yoregano said:   but why wouldn't one want a card that gives 2% on everything?Blue Cash for groceries, drugstores, gas.  Chase Freedom and Discover It for rotating 5% catetories.  Capital One World MasterCard, TD Cash Rewards Signature Visa, or Chase Freedom Visa for anything requiring buyer protection that I might have to charge back.  Plastic vegan ice cream for everything else.Actually... I don't know about Cap1 World MasterCard or TD Cash Rewards, but I am almost certain that the Double Cash Elite MasterCard has better purchase protections than any of the cards you listed. It has the best Extended Warranty (extends mfg warranty by 24 months, $10K/claim),  very good Damage and Theft purchase protection (120 days, $1K/item, $50K/yr), and decent price match (60 days, $500/item) and return (90 days, $300/item) protections.  Only CSP is better for Price Protection and TYP for Damage/Theft and Return protections, but both of those are premium cards.

rated:
qcumber98 said:     But what % for non-groceries? 
I sacrifice the 2% I could get on non-groceries.  If I bought everything that wasn't groceries, gas, and drug store purchases with Double Cash, I'd get 2% back on those purchases.  But then I'd have to find a way to melt about four gallons of ice cream a month.  The way I see it, after meeting the $6500 threshold and accounting for the 1% activation fee, I'm still netting about 3.46% cash back when I use ice cream to pay for anything that's not eligible for any of the 5% categories.  Keep in mind, I'm still getting 5% in the three main categories after the $6500 threshold, so my overall return is about 3.8-3.9% on everything, give or take.  I could get greedier, but this works for me, and it's significantly better than I could do without the involvement of any ice cream.
scripta said:   Actually... I don't know about Cap1 World MasterCard or TD Cash Rewards, but I am almost certain that the Double Cash Elite MasterCard has better purchase protections than any of the cards you listed. It has the best Extended Warranty (extends mfg warranty by 24 months, $10K/claim),  very good Damage and Theft purchase protection (120 days, $1K/item, $50K/yr), and decent price match (60 days, $500/item) and return (90 days, $300/item) protections.  Only CSP is better for Price Protection and TYP for Damage/Theft and Return protections, but both of those are premium cards.
I'm not at all concerned with purchase protections like the one you mentioned.  The only one I ever think about is the free extended warranty, but that's almost an afterthought.  What I'm always concerned about is knowing my card issuer will back me in any potential chargeback dispute.  I haven't done a chargeback in probably 10-12 years, but I like knowing I can dispute anything, and as long as my version of events seems plausible, Amex will back me up.  Like I said, the only problem I have with this strategy is that I don't want to do anything that will lead to human eyes looking at my other Amex transactions, most of which are for abnormally large dollar amounts at CVS.  I should just get a second Amex credit card with no AF and use it for such purchases.

I'm sure what you say about DC is correct, but I've been with Shitibank for far too many years (my mother had been with them for several decades before I started) and I've totally lost faith in them.  I'm losing Citigold status soon, and their personal bankers at every local branch in my area are complete idiots.  I closed out my TYP credit card recently because they wouldn't increase my credit line without a hard pull, nor would they allow me to reallocate limits between my three cards.  It was the youngest of my three accounts and also had the smallest line.  They don't allow a beneficiary to be named on a checking account, and changing or adding a beneficiary on savings accounts requires the entire account title to be redone, even though I'm currently the only signer on the accounts and I will continue to be the only signer on the accounts.  They've really become a rather large pain in my ass, and every time I walk out of the branch, I feel uneasy and dissatisfied with the experience.  I'm just sick of them and if I didn't have my main checking account there with all my outside accounts linked to it, I'd strongly consider closing all my Shitibank accounts, including the credit cards, and finally moving on.  I suppose my refusal to start using the DC card is, in part, a form of martyrdom on my part, but as long as things are going well with my Blue Cash, I really don't see the need.

rated:
Extended Warranties and other perks are only worthwhile if they can actually be applied. I'm not sure I trust Citi's program to work as well as AMEX (which I had a good experience using)

Anyways I wonder if they are finally going to let Forwards to be converted. (Which I would do rather quickly)

rated:
devyanks90 said:   Extended Warranties and other perks are only worthwhile if they can actually be applied. I'm not sure I trust Citi's program to work as well as AMEX (which I had a good experience using)

Anyways I wonder if they are finally going to let Forwards to be converted. (Which I would do rather quickly)

Nope, just called and still can't convert the Forward to the Double Cash.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   they wouldn't increase my credit line without a hard pull, nor would they allow me to reallocate limits between my three cards.I think the first part is probably standard, the second one is strange, but I haven't tried in a few years.
DTASFAB said:   dissatisfied with the experience.  I'm just sick of them and if I didn't have my main checking account there with all my outside accounts linked to it, I'd strongly consider closing...I moved most of my banking to Discover Checking and Savings when my last decent Citi CD matured (the TY Points made it decent). Discover's billpay doesn't automatically recognize as many payees as Citi's, but otherwise it's great.

rated:
scripta said:   
DTASFAB said:   they wouldn't increase my credit line without a hard pull, nor would they allow me to reallocate limits between my three cards.
I think the first part is probably standard, the second one is strange, but I haven't tried in a few years.
DTASFAB said:   dissatisfied with the experience.  I'm just sick of them and if I didn't have my main checking account there with all my outside accounts linked to it, I'd strongly consider closing...
I moved most of my banking to Discover Checking and Savings when my last decent Citi CD matured (the TY Points made it decent). Discover's billpay doesn't automatically recognize as many payees as Citi's, but otherwise it's great.

Well the thing about the credit cards... I had the DC, the old CitiCashReturns card, both with $9K credit line each, and TYP with $5600 credit line.  I really wanted to combine the two $9K lines into one $18K line on DC and close the CCR card.  That was my first request, which was declined, with the phone rep citing the 2009 card act.  But wait, he said... we can do a soft pull if you answer some questions about your income and personal history and so forth, and maybe we can simply increase your available credit on the DC card.  Ok, I said.  I was stupid and answered the questions honestly.  The problem is I have lots of assets, but not a high income, so my request to increase the DC credit line was denied, despite a fico score over 800, which he must have seen on the soft pull.  He asked if I wanted to proceed with a hard pull.  I declined.  I was annoyed.  I wanted to close out one account anyway, so instead of closing out CCR, I closed out TYP because it was only three years old and had the smallest line.

As for banking, I'm managing ok.  I have checks and a debit card from my brokerage account, so that helps, plus I have a couple back-up accounts with other banks.

rated:
I just checked to see if I could use TY points to rent a car... Shiti TY Network doesn't allow same day car rental reservations! The first available date is tomorrow. It's not even 8AM yet. Stupid little things like this annoy me and make me not want to do business with them anymore.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   

You must buy a lot of spoons!

rated:
I will keep my 2 Dividend cards just in case they do the Drugstore cat again. Hopefully yes. They did it this year and I maxed out both via lots of 500.00 VGC. They didn't do it for 2 years, so maybe again, who knows? I already have the double cash!

rated:
The following is not the same, but Citi related
Another Citi conversion DP 

Reddit said: [Possibly Targeted] City Sending Out Emails to Upgrade Thank You Preferred Card to Thank You Premier - AF waived first year

rated:
Citi spent a small fortune again on fancy mailers trying to get people to convert.

rated:
Yeah, they should just close accounts.

rated:
Wife has Citi Diamond Preferred card. Citi is trying so hard to get her to convert to 2% card - multiple mailers, emails.

Well, she didn't. She uses Diamond card to get 10% discount on some giftcards through Citi Easy Deals.

Now she is getting cool 5% category offers.

First offer a month ago was 5% on purchases made Online.

Before that ended they sent another one with following categories: restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, drugstores and mass transit & commuter transportation vendor.

I'm not getting any offers on my sockdrawered Forward card yet. But not going to convert if they offer.

rated:
Citi has send another expensive mailer trying to get Dividend Rewards cardholders to switch. The current quarter is of limited value, but next calendar quarter includes Drug Stores as does Freedom.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017