• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Heard this on the radio. Mostly a lurker here and wanted to share.

When you go the the promo page it shows you can open online with a promo code that is there.  Don't know if unique since long string on random # and letters.
You can get bonus if you've not had an account within 180 days.  When I searched their bonus appears to have been be increasing over time.  This one harder to get.

"Essential Checking" has easier requirements. 

Pretty much $125 bonus for opening, but they want $500 DD through December for the extra $125. 
$500 minimum balance for no fees on the Essential Checking.

https://www.suntrust.com/get250 

EARN $125 when you

• Open a new SunTrust checking account
  • Deposit at least $100 within 14 days of account opening, and
  • Complete at least $500 in Direct Deposits* within 60 days of account opening.

EARN AN ADDITIONAL $125 when you

• Continue to maintain at least $500 in monthly Direct Deposits* until December 31, 2016.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Data Point.

Congratulations. You have successfully met the qualifications to earn the reward for the SunTrust August 2016... (more)

Minoritydan (Oct. 26, 2016 @ 11:34a) |

Does anybody have details of the Suntrust $200 offer that expired in July? They are saying that this offer was only 1 pe... (more)

bharatiya (Oct. 28, 2016 @ 11:07a) |

Does it make more sense to open Signature Advantage account with a $25 monthly fee, get $300 and close the account rathe... (more)

vovito (Nov. 02, 2016 @ 6:33p) |

https://www.suntrust.com/static/personal-banking/checking/promos/AugChecking2016.pdf

Terms and conditions apply. Offer valid for new SunTrust personal checking clients only. Account must be opened online with promo code Q316CHKNGOLP1 OR at a branch with a branch coupon from August 1 to September 19, 2016.

o Be Eligible For The Promotion: 
You must be a new SunTrust personal Checking client. Clients with an existing personal Checking account with SunTrust (either as the primary or secondary account holder) are not eligible. You must not have closed a personal Checking account within 180 days of the promotion start date (on or after February 3, 2016). The primary account holder of the participating Checking account must be 18 years old or older at the time of account opening. Employee-designated accounts are not eligible for this promotion. Offer available only to U.S Residents with a U.S address and a U.S. taxpayer identification number. The checking account must be opened online or in a SunTrust branch in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

Offer valid for new SunTrust personal checking accounts opened from August 1, 2016 to September 19, 2016. Enrollment in the promotion is required. (See instructions below.) You must qualify for the initial $125 reward in order to be eligible to earn the second $125 reward.

Reward Processing: 
After meeting the qualification requirements, each $125 reward will be credited to the new checking account up to 8 weeks after the applicable qualifications are met. “August 2016 Checking Offer Reward Part 1” will appear on the checking monthly statement when the initial reward is credited to the account holder’s checking account. “August 2016 Checking Offer Reward Part 2” will appear on the checking monthly statement when the additional reward is credited to the account holder’s checking account. This promotion is only applicable once per client. SunTrust may report the value of any reward received through any offer to the Internal Revenue Service as required by law. Any applicable taxes are the responsibility of the recipient.

Reward Forfeiture: 
The new account must remain open and in good standing with a positive balance until each reward is processed in order to receive the applicable reward. If the checking account is closed by you or SunTrust within 180 days after opening, SunTrust reserves the right to deduct the reward amount from the account at the time of closing.

Other Terms: 
The offer is non-transferable and may not be combined with any other offers. This Offer is subject to change and may be discontinued at any time. 
For Select Checking and Signature Advantage Checking the Annual Percentage Yield (APY) is currently 0.01% for all tiers in the fee schedule. The Annual Percentage Yields are accurate as of August 1, 2016 and subject to change at any time. Fees may reduce your earnings.

* Direct Deposit: A qualifying Direct Deposit is an electronic credit of your salary, pension, Social Security or other regular monthly income deposited to your account by your employer or an outside agency. Transfers from one account to another or deposits made at a banking location or ATM do not qualify as a Direct Deposit.

ONLINE ACCOUNT OPENING & ENROLLMENT INSTRUCTIONS 
Open the qualifying personal checking account via the “Open an Account” link on the promotional landing page or by entering the promo code Q316CHKNGOLP1 in the SunTrust online account application. After reviewing the terms and conditions, make sure “Yes” is selected in the “Special Offer” page to be enrolled for this offer(s). You will receive an enrollment confirmation email within 10 days of account opening.

1 No fees for SunTrust ATM use. Fees apply for ATM-printed statements or mini-statements.

2 SunTrust does not charge a fee for the use of SunTrust Online Banking with Bill Pay. However, fees may apply for certain transactions like expedited payments and transfers to non-SunTrust accounts.

3 SunTrust does not charge a fee for the use of SunTrust Mobile Banking or Tablet Banking. If you do not already have a data plan with your wireless service provider, normal data rates will apply. A SunTrust Online Banking account is required to enroll in any of the Mobile and Tablet Banking services.

4 Additional Essential Checking accounts available with no Monthly Maintenance Fee when linked to Select Checking.

5 No fee for two non-SunTrust ATM transactions per statement cycle. Refer to Personal Deposit Accounts Fee Schedule for additional information.

6 A qualifying Direct Deposit is an electronic credit to your account of your salary, pension, Social Security or other regular monthly income totaling $2,000 or more deposited to your account during the prior month by your employer or an outside agency. Transfers from one account to another or deposits made at a banking location or ATM do not qualify as a Direct Deposit. Any maintenance fees will be assessed on the following month's statement.

7 Total Relationship Balance: The sum of balances in the Select Checking account PLUS statement linked SunTrust deposit accounts (savings, checking, money market, or CDs), IRA or Brokerage accounts introduced through SunTrust Investment Services, Inc. (excludes annuities), SunTrust consumer installment loans and lines of credit, including credit card or SunTrust Mortgages.

8 SunTrust First Mortgage with SurePaySM: Purchase first mortgage loans financed through SunTrust Mortgage, Inc. with payment automatically deducted from this account using SurePaySM. SurePaySM is a monthly electronic debit via ACH of SunTrust Mortgage loan payment from this account. Sufficient funds must be in the client’s bank account at time of automatic debit.

9 Linked Small Business accounts include Total Business Checking and Business Advantage Plus only.

10 Banking Transactions include: Deposit and withdrawal transactions made (includes transactions such as those made with the assistance of a teller, at an ATM, or by Direct Deposit, mobile device, wire transfer, Online Banking transfer, automatic transfer, telephone transfer, Popmoney transfer, ACH debit or credit, online bill pay, mobile bill pay, check, or Debit Card purchases including PIN Point of Sale (POS) and signature-based purchases). These transactions must be posted to your account during the statement cycle. Bank fees and overdraft protection transfers are not included.

11 A qualifying Direct Deposit is an electronic credit to your account of your salary, pension, Social Security or other regular monthly income totaling $500 or more deposited to your account during the statement cycle by your employer or an outside agency. Transfers from one account to another or deposits made at a banking location or ATM do not qualify as a Direct Deposit.

12 Student Waiver: The Essential Checking Student Waiver provides a checking account with no monthly maintenance fee for up to 5 years. Any individual is qualified as a student if they are currently attending High School, College/University, or Technical/Trade Schools. Proof of active enrollment in a qualifying educational institution is required. The Student Waiver is applied automatically at account opening and based on Account Opening Date. The Student Waiver cannot be applied/added-on to a checking account once it is opened.

Essential Checking:  Avoid the $7 Monthly Maintenance Fee with AT LEAST one qualifier below:Minimum of 10 banking transactions per statement cycle10 OR
$500 or more in total qualifying monthly Direct Deposits11 per statement cycle OR
$500 minimum daily balance OR
Open as a student and receive a 5-year Student waiver12
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Soft or Hard pull? Thanks for the post

rated:
Magic 8 Ball says: Soft.

Rewards forfeited if account closed within 180 days of opening.

Magic 8 Ball also says this offer is limited to "the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia." But it could be wrong, the T&C isn't clear.

rated:
scripta said:   Magic 8 Ball says: Soft.

Rewards forfeited if account closed within 180 days of opening.

Magic 8 Ball also says this offer is limited to "the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. " But it could be wrong, the T&C isn't clear.

It should be safe if its opened online. 
"The checking account must be opened online or in a SunTrust branch in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia."

rated:
It's not clear whether you have to live in those states even if you open it online. And I've read conflicting reports.

rated:
I did this last year and it was a soft pull, also they don't have any branches in the my state so I had opened in online and had no issues.  The T&C states "....must be opened online or in a SunTrust branch..." That means you can open it online if your state doesn't have their branches.  It doesn't say that offer is limited to residents of those states.  If any doubt, just call and ask them...they have someone of the nicest customer service agents based on my dealings with them last year.

rated:
I'm outside of their listed states, and after entering all my info, was given the following screen error:

We’re Sorry…
The Essential Checking Special Offer is not available in your area. Please click below to continue applying for your Essential Checking account (without the Special Offer).

rated:
ach1199 said:   I did this last year and it was a soft pull, also they don't have any branches in the my state so I had opened in online and had no issues.  The T&C states "....must be opened online or in a SunTrust branch..." That means you can open it online if your state doesn't have their branches.  It doesn't say that offer is limited to residents of those states.  If any doubt, just call and ask them...they have someone of the nicest customer service agents based on my dealings with them last year.No, T&C states "account must be opened online or in a SunTrust branch in the following states". It is not clear what the OR applies to.
It could mean: "account must be opened online or account must be opened in a SunTrust branch",
OR it could mean: "account must be opened online in the following states or in a SunTrust branch in the following states".

rated:
Does not work for CA.

The Essential Checking Special Offer is not available in your area. Please click below to continue applying for your Essential Checking account (without the Special Offer)

rated:
Offer available only to U.S Residents with a U.S address and a U.S. taxpayer identification number. The checking account must be opened online or in a SunTrust branch in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

Suntrust Bank HQ operations is in the southeast region of the USA. In the past from what I have experienced, most of their promotions are targeting residents of the southeast USA region where they have branch offices. Maryland is the most northern state where they have branch offices. From my past experience with them, they are not a true "internet" based bank like Ally. In fact, they charged you a monthly fee for their bill pay service for many years while others offered it for free. They eliminated the fee recently. I've been a customer for 20 years, so the offer is DOA for me.

rated:
Remember that this bonus will be taxed, unlike credit card promos.

rated:
Visa/Mastercard funding up to $250.

rated:
Good deal, easy 250. Thanks OP. I will likely sign up for this offer.

rated:
I'm a guy so I don't have DD's.

rated:
bobbybore said:   I'm a guy so I don't have DD's.

False conclusion, you might not, but some guys do!

rated:
ThenewzzZZ said:   Does not work for CA.

The Essential Checking Special Offer is not available in your area. Please click below to continue applying for your Essential Checking account (without the Special Offer)

As soon as you posted this about half of the nation will never read this thread again.

rated:
Site does not work for me in FF, but does in IE. FYI...

rated:
Not available in my state either

rated:
johnnybs said:   Visa/Mastercard funding up to $250.
  Which credit card did you use?
Per this post, even Chase CC can be treated as a cash advance. Any new data point?
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/suntrust-250-checking-promotion-al...

rated:
Not available in Texas.

rated:
Worked mostly fine in Tennessee. At the last step when it was verifying my transfer account information, it sort of locked up.

I called customer service and verified the account was set up. I also was able to immediately log into the website and see my account information.

rated:
No luck in pa

rated:
jolapo said:   johnnybs said:   Visa/Mastercard funding up to $250.
  Which credit card did you use?
Per this post, even Chase CC can be treated as a cash advance. Any new data point?
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/suntrust-250-checking-promotion-al...

Elon visa 2% card

rated:
Think I'll be good without a dd of $500 in August? Only 10 days in August left to complete.

rated:
stehigs said:   Think I'll be good without a dd of $500 in August? Only 10 days in August left to complete.
  Your Q is hard to comprehend. First of all, you're given 60 days to make FIRST direct deposit. Secondly, if you're trying to cut down on the number of DD's thru Dec.31, why rush to open before the Sep deadline

rated:
We’re Sorry…
The Essential Checking Special Offer is not available in your area. Please click below to continue applying for your Essential Checking account.

Bummer. Not valid in WA state.

rated:
eft transfer from Fidelity brokerage counted as DD

rated:
I did the 200 offer for my wife and me. I got the bonus in 20 days but she hasn't received anything. Same ACH/DD method used on both. It's been a month now. Should I call them or wait?

rated:
Data Point.

Account Opened end of August, initial $100 funded 9/1, 250 DD posted 9/23

No bonus yet.

rated:
Data Point.

Congratulations. You have successfully met the qualifications to earn the reward for the SunTrust August 2016 Checking Offer and your reward has been processed.

Account shows: MISCELLANEOUS CREDIT AUGUST 2016 CHECKING OFFER REWARD PART 1 $125.00

rated:
Does anybody have details of the Suntrust $200 offer that expired in July? They are saying that this offer was only 1 per household and I want to verify that. Do the Suntrust offers usually have this condition? I checked all their current offers and none of them say that. I pulled up some from earlier too and they didn't say that either.
It needed a $2000 DD into the account.

rated:
Does it make more sense to open Signature Advantage account with a $25 monthly fee, get $300 and close the account rather than open Select Checking with a $200 bonus and no fee with DD?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017