IRS state migration data

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Pretty good data analysis at link below.  Basic results not terribly surprising:  Texas and Florida are biggest winners, NY, IL and CA are biggest losers.  Includes some interesting tables on relative incomes of in- and out-migrants.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/005351-still-migrating-texas...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

tuphat said:    NY, IL and CA are biggest losers.  
  If there is a net loss of people, why the heck are NY and CA real estate so expensive? 

Because that net loss number is minuscule compare the population of those states.

ach1199 said:   Because that net loss number is minuscule compare the population of those states.
  Sorry , I was not being precise. Why is the real estate going up so quickly if people are leaving ?

rufflesinc said:   
ach1199 said:   Because that net loss number is minuscule compare the population of those states.
  Sorry , I was not being precise. Why is the real estate going up so quickly if people are leaving ?

Are you limiting New York State to New York Citi?

rufflesinc said:   ach1199 said:   Because that net loss number is minuscule compare the population of those states.

Because poor people are leaving and rich people are coming. Who the heck would live in Michigan if you are rich?

These Are The 10 Richest People In Michigan
Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Disclaimer

Disclaimer
lazy78 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Because poor people are leaving and rich people are coming. Who the heck would live in Michigan if you are rich?

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/michigan/richest-mi/

lazy78 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Link to the list http://patch.com/michigan/royaloak/how-do-michigans-14-billionai...

This is just state to state movement right? So it doesn't include birth or death or foreign immigration. And the states that the article shows as negative are not losing population overall.

jerosen said:   This is just state to state movement right? So it doesn't include birth or death or foreign immigration. And the states that the article shows as negative are not losing population overall.

It looks like it, so a good portion of foreign immigrants end up in CA or NY compared to other states.

THATS the reason they are leaving

i will be moving to Texas depending on who wins the Nov. election...

tgersinthewhhouse said:   i will be moving to Texas depending on who wins the Nov. election...
  um, hillary will be the president of the whole country. Or are you talking about your state's election for governor?

rufflesinc said:   
tgersinthewhhouse said:   i will be moving to Texas depending on who wins the Nov. election...
  um, hillary will be the president of the whole country. Or are you talking about your state's election for governor?

Until after the fact, may be the president, is the correct term. Anything can happen in the mean time.Aliens adduction for example. Happens all the time. Just ask around in New Mexico.

rufflesinc said:   

I can only speak for northern Illinois.

With a population of over 12Million, a net loss of 80,000 people is a drop in the bucket.  But, I am seeing people lose their jobs and houses, but it's not relief for those looking for a house.

In the extended Chicago land area, in the housing run-up, people were accepting 1-2 hour commutes and buying houses way outside of cook and lake counties.

Now, for every house that someone loses in cook/lake county, there is someone with 1+hour commute willing to buy/rent it to move closer to their job.  They may not be 'driving' up the prices, but they are sustaining a decent price level in the desirable communities.

I imagine this same scenario is playing out across the country.  People living close to a strong job producing corridor are seeing their housing values hold steady or rising, but those who went way off the beaten path in early 2000's to get something 'affordable' at the expense of a very long commute are seeing prices fall or even empty houses that can't sell.

rufflesinc said:   
tuphat said:    NY, IL and CA are biggest losers.  
  If there is a net loss of people, why the heck are NY and CA real estate so expensive? 

This article does not paint the full picture because it looks at domestic migration, i.e. within the US.  It completely ignores immigration i.e. from outside the US, which makes a big impact on the overall population in these state.

lazy78 said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Actually, for NYC at least, very wealthy foreigners are buying real estate like crazy.  They don't move to NYC but own big time Real Estate. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017