• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am in California. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that the best way to set up a checking account is to buy a coupon off eBay for a $500 Chase bonus. My only problem is that I am self-employed. Are there any ways around Chase's direct deposit requirement?

If none, could someone please recommend a free checking account or a checking account with a sign-up bonus that don't require a direct deposit?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

so the whole Q is whether it's a $500, or the $700 coupon you're after

What if it is just $500?

Try a credit union or smaller community bank.

vovito said:   I am in California. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that the best way to set up a checking account is to buy a coupon off eBay for a $500 Chase bonus. My only problem is that I am self-employed. Are there any ways around Chase's direct deposit requirement?

If none, could someone please recommend a free checking account or a checking account with a sign-up bonus that don't require a direct deposit?

  It is not clear if you are mainly interested in the Chase bonus (and how to qualify for it without a real DD). If yes, ACH transfer does work to get the bonus.

If you are simply looking for a free checking account without any DD or minimum deposit requirement, check with your local CU or smaller banks.If you dont have much need for B&M branches, Alliant CU is highly recommended.


U.S. Bank
Disclaimer

US Bank
Disclaimer
WHY would you buy a coupon? Personally, I do not see the attraction of Chase checking.
IF you are chasing bonuses, I can suggest a way to beat that Direct Deposit requirement and still collect some bonus money.

US Bank has a $150.00 signup promotion for a checking account with modest opening balance and an alternative to direct deposit. Just set up a couple of bill payments after you account is open and your are in.
http://pages.email.usbank.com/DDA_Summer_Promo/ 
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-150-checking-bonus-additi... 

After opening the checking account, get one of their credit cards and the Gold account will have no fees if you go paperless. Get another $50.00
Suggestion (does not have to be this card) $100.00 sign up bonus.
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/cash-plus-signature.html
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1197402/?start=1600#bot...

IF you act quickly, you may get in on the Olympic credit card special offer.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/flexperks-olympics-bonus-two-weeks... 

No promises, but you may be able to beat the $500.00 bonus without purchasing any coupon which is a pig in a poke to me.

JW10 said:   
No promises, but you may be able to beat the $500.00 bonus without purchasing any coupon which is a pig in a poke to me.

  Including a credit card offer in "beating the chase bonus" seems a bit silly.  Then for fair comparison you should include a chase credit card and then you might be at ~$2000 vs the $500 for checking+cc in your example.

$300 from chase checking is pretty easy and straightforward (and no minimum balance required, just the $500/mo DD or 1500 balance for 6 months with one DD to qualify).  It does need the DD though.  And it can be done every year*, at least according to the fine print terms.

Try DCU.

dcu.org

Not my primary checking account (for reasons unrelated to your question). However, I've been a customer for >10 years now and if I was starting out from a clean slate, I'd choose it in a heartbeat for:
1. My primary checking
2. Starter savings account (5% interest <$500)
3. First credit card (rewards + they will extend credit when you are starting out).
4. Auto loan @1.76% APR.

And besides all this, I'd typically trust them to not have any gotcha's in their terms and conditions.

What's not to like?

Alliant or Discover if you want free checking (and not a bonus).

Bend3r said:   $300 from chase checking is pretty easy and straightforward (and no minimum balance required, just the $500/mo DD or 1500 balance for 6 months with one DD to qualify).  It does need the DD though.  And it can be done every year*, at least according to the fine print terms.
 

  
How is $300 easier than $500?

vovito said:   My only problem is that I am self-employed. Are there any ways around Chase's direct deposit requirement?Your problem is that you've been here since 2003 and you don't know how to search.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/432086/

vovito said:   
How is $300 easier than $500?

  There's (at least) two different "$500" chase offers out. I didn't know which you were referring to.

Chase "$500" offer 1: $300 chase checking regular checking account, no minimum/average balance requirement, either $500 DD/month or $1500 minimum balance to avoid fees.
Plus $200 savings account bonus for $15000 maintained for 90 days.

Chase "$500" offer 2: $500 for chase total checking account. Steeper requirements to avoid fees, or some YMMV change-of-account type (and hoping they don't revoke the bonus for doing so) to avoid monthly fee and the balance requirements.  Or just ignore fee requirements and let the fee accrue for 6 months and close the account immediately after 6 months, to net ~$350.

scripta said:   
vovito said:   My only problem is that I am self-employed. Are there any ways around Chase's direct deposit requirement?
Your problem is that you've been here since 2003 and you don't know how to search.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/432086/

  That thread is terribly outdated in many respects.  For example, nobody has said BOO about a Fidelity Investments ACH for about a year.  The updating is about as old.

^^^ It doesn't matter that the thread is slightly outdated. OP didn't even know this was a possibility.

Bend3r said:   
vovito said:   
How is $300 easier than $500?

  There's (at least) two different "$500" chase offers out. I didn't know which you were referring to.

Chase "$500" offer 1: $300 chase checking regular checking account, no minimum/average balance requirement, either $500 DD/month or $1500 minimum balance to avoid fees.
Plus $200 savings account bonus for $15000 maintained for 90 days.

Chase "$500" offer 2: $500 for chase total checking account. Steeper requirements to avoid fees, or some YMMV change-of-account type (and hoping they don't revoke the bonus for doing so) to avoid monthly fee and the balance requirements.  Or just ignore fee requirements and let the fee accrue for 6 months and close the account immediately after 6 months, to net ~$350.

  Do you have a link for either of these offers? The best deal I can find for a non-Premier account is $150 w/DD.


Publicly Available: Chase 500 Checking and Savings Bonus - Doctor Of Credit
Disclaimer
silverdeals said:   
Bend3r said:   
vovito said:   
How is $300 easier than $500?

  There's (at least) two different "$500" chase offers out. I didn't know which you were referring to.

Chase "$500" offer 1: $300 chase checking regular checking account, no minimum/average balance requirement, either $500 DD/month or $1500 minimum balance to avoid fees.
Plus $200 savings account bonus for $15000 maintained for 90 days.

Chase "$500" offer 2: $500 for chase total checking account. Steeper requirements to avoid fees, or some YMMV change-of-account type (and hoping they don't revoke the bonus for doing so) to avoid monthly fee and the balance requirements.  Or just ignore fee requirements and let the fee accrue for 6 months and close the account immediately after 6 months, to net ~$350.

  Do you have a link for either of these offers? The best deal I can find for a non-Premier account is $150 w/DD.

  Chase offer link to publicly available coupon - DoC comments for details
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/publicly-available-chase-500-check...

DoC says Citi offer DOES NOT require DD
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/#Citi_40...



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017