Disputing fradulent credit card charges by Road Runner Sports

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am in a five year credit card dispute with Road Runner Sports (RRS).  This is my post from last year:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&threadid=1459728 

* I won my credit card dispute and AMEX reversed the charges.
* I cancelled by AMEX card.
* This year Road Runner Sports made the charge to my VISA card. 
* I have no idea how they got my VISA credit card number.  I believe I bought something in their store using this card about three years ago.
* I have disputed the charge with VISA.  My VISA credit card has been cancelled and a new one issued.
* I cancelled the membership, closed my account, and told them to never send me any mail a long time ago.

BBB: http://www.bbb.org/sdoc/business-reviews/sporting-goods-retail/r... 

"Many consumer complaints are alleging misrepresentation. Specifically, several complaints are from consumers who allege they are charged $24.99 annual membership fee which they did not authorize. Most business responses have agreed to refund the $24.99 fee. The BBB attempted to contact the business regarding this pattern but the company did not respond."

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

so ... what's the question?

Do you think VISA would have given OP free VIP membership with RRS for five years?

I'd like to know, too, how they got his Visa card number?? What if he didn't actually buy anything from them??

*MEEP MEEP*

       ╱▔▔▔▔▔▔╲
     ▂╱ ╱▔╲    ╲
    ╱╲ ▕   ▏╲ ╲▕
   ╱ ▕▂▂▏  ╲╱▏▕▔
   ▏ ╱▂▂╲    ╲╱
▕╲ ▋╱ ╱ ▕
 ▏▔▔ ╱  ╱╲
 ╲▂▂╱▔▔▔╲ ╲
         ╲ ╲
          ╲ ╲

Dang, this post and the previous one you linked frighten me!  I had a charge for the VIP membership in January after being unsuccessful in canceling.  FIA "investigated" and credited me for the charge.  I wonder what will happen this January?

Gosh.

Just keep the thread alive so you don't have to do a new one next year.

BradMajors said:   BBB: http://www.bbb.org/sdoc/business-reviews/sporting-goods-retail/r... 

"Many consumer complaints are alleging misrepresentation. Specifically, several complaints are from consumers who allege they are charged $24.99 annual membership fee which they did not authorize. Most business responses have agreed to refund the $24.99 fee. The BBB attempted to contact the business regarding this pattern but the company did not respond."
I smell a class action. Maybe a few grand in it for you if you're a class rep and the suit is successful.

This illustrates the point that asking card issuer to block specific vendors is a waste of time. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. Don't leave it up to the credit card issuer acting on your request. Instead, call them saying you think your card was stolen/compromised. They will issue you a replacement card for the same account but with different card number, expiration, and CVV. Problem solved without reducing your credit history length or total credit limit. And do so for all the cards you think you may have used at that vendor to be safe.

I used to get catalogs from a mail order running shoe store called Road Runner. Looks like a good thing I never ordered from them.
Check out this glowing review:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Road_Runner_Sports

"I went to the store in Bellevue, WA and purchased a pair of running short. I was asked at the checkout if wanted to join the VIP programme, but I declined. No one informed me at that time that I wasn't going to be able to do returns and exchanges if I wasn't a VIP member. On the receipt, in bold letters, says "30 day merchandise returns".
So the shorts didn't fit and I went to return it. I was told that I cannot return it because I wasn't VIP. Not even exchange it. They claimed that whatever is on the receipt applies to VIP only. Then they offered me a membership ($25), so I can get my $33 back. "

taxmantoo said:   "I went to the store in Bellevue, WA and purchased a pair of running short. I was asked at the checkout if wanted to join the VIP programme, but I declined. No one informed me at that time that I wasn't going to be able to do returns and exchanges if I wasn't a VIP member. On the receipt, in bold letters, says "30 day merchandise returns".
So the shorts didn't fit and I went to return it. I was told that I cannot return it because I wasn't VIP. Not even exchange it. They claimed that whatever is on the receipt applies to VIP only. Then they offered me a membership ($25), so I can get my $33 back. "

That seems like a violation of a variety of consumer protection laws as well as an easy CC chargeback. Any consumer with a poor experience like this (including the OP) should file reports with the FTC and their state's AG; they won't do anything about individual claims in most cases, but if enough people complain about the same business it should get some attention.

The fact that you never authorized the visa transaction smacks of fraud. That alone could probably bring a settlement.

Shandril said:   This illustrates the point that asking card issuer to block specific vendors is a waste of time. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. Don't leave it up to the credit card issuer acting on your request. Instead, call them saying you think your card was stolen/compromised. They will issue you a replacement card for the same account but with different card number, expiration, and CVV. Problem solved without reducing your credit history length or total credit limit. And do so for all the cards you think you may have used at that vendor to be safe.Actually what you are suggesting may also be a waste of time -- some issuers will automatically send your new account number to all recurring billers.

Shandril said:   This illustrates the point that asking card issuer to block specific vendors is a waste of time. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. Don't leave it up to the credit card issuer acting on your request. Instead, call them saying you think your card was stolen/compromised. They will issue you a replacement card for the same account but with different card number, expiration, and CVV. Problem solved without reducing your credit history length or total credit limit. And do so for all the cards you think you may have used at that vendor to be safe.

That does not always work.  Quite often it gets posted on the new card.  I have had that happen to me many times over the years.  Despite actually losing a card many of my "automatic" payments still get posted to the next card even though I have not updated the info with the person who is charging me.

As for Roadrunner (on topic) I have gone through that with them numerous times but always get the credit.  They have a $1.99 VIP deal with AUTO_RENEWAL at $29.99.  MANY people fail to "remember" the autorenewal or fail to turn it off and b1tch and moan and cry foul when they get charged after the year is up.. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017