Pet Injury ...

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Quick question - need some feedback.  I went for a weekend trip and left my small 7 lb dog with a franchise type dog boarding place.   Read Yelp review all good - like 4 or 5 starts from 20 some people.  They've live cam etc etc for part of the days you can see your dog.  So drop off healthy dog on Friday .. all fine - see him on webcam doing fine.  Next day daughter checks on him on and off - but he is not in playroom with other dog. I thought whatever .. but she checked several times throughout the day - no sign of our dog.  So i call to see if any issue - they say all is fine.   I just can't see all angles within the room.  I'm like okay - probably nothing wrong.

So FF to 3rd day, when i was suppose to pick him up.  Daughter finds our dog in webcam but sees him limping - i'm like probably something minor.  So later that day, I'm running a bit late for 7pm pickup time - i called them, telling them I may not make it, and in that case, the dog stays overnight for one more day.  They mention okay fine - didn't say anything about any issue.

So i do make it by 7.15pm, and they agreed to get the dog .. so i was happy, and i even tipped them $20, on top of $150+ for 2.5 days boarding charge.   I see the dog limping, and the guy says, well it is probably because he played too much, he is tired, and we found him like that since morning.  I was in rush after long drive from Canada, took him home .. and noticed - he absolutely can't even put one of the back foot down.  He can't walk, and barely can stand up & looks traumatized.   I call them back .. and said what exactly happened - this doesn't look normal - and they gave same bs - we found him like that in morning.

Dog was in terrible shape 1st day i got back, cant go out for walking, can't put leash - he needed immediate medical attention.  And these idiots left him like that possibly for 2 days.  Took next day off, and got him to vet.  Luckily so far, they found nothing broken .. didn't do xray as they first wanted to try pain medication .. so about $60 for vet - need to observe for few days and then take him back depending on situation.  So today is 3rd day since i got him back .. so walking somewhat, but still limping a lot.  Vet said it was some sort of trama.  I'm thinking they dropped him or something.

So my question is ... what should i do?  I'm royally ticked off - they seriously hurt my dog, and then lied about it.  And worse thing is - they took down his vet info - just 1 mile down the road, and didn't even bother to call me, or do anything to get him to vet - and kept him in that condition for 2 days.  

Is it fair to ask for boarding fee back?   Plus some medical expense?  I'm definitely going to write a review... even if i don't get any money back.   

Any advice how to approach this?  

It could be they just made a mistake - it is a small dog.  But they totally deny it, and claims a healthy dog severally injured his hind legs all by himself overnight (basically they keep them in small enclosed closet - so very difficult to get hurt) - something he has not ever done in 6  years.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Nonsense.  Orphanages and foster homes are full of replacement kids.

Glitch99 (Aug. 25, 2016 @ 4:07p) |

Now that the little guy has aggravated his patella issue, I'm concerned it will continue to be a problem off and on. Loo... (more)

ledwards (Aug. 26, 2016 @ 2:28p) |

The play  i think 4-5 hours they stay in the play room - and they have few hours break in between and then night i guess... (more)

prozario (Aug. 26, 2016 @ 3:07p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Better call Saul.

look into youth in asia

Mail them a demand letter for reimbursement of the boarding fees, vets costs and meds. Give them 30 days to pay. On day 31 file a small claims lawsuit.

Just remember, just because the dog is hurt, it doesn't mean the provider was negligent. If the dog got hurt while playing with other dogs, I don't see how that is negligent. Next time leave the dog at a normal kennel in crate except for walks and this won't happen.

Small dogs can easily injure themselves from jumping down from beds, or whatever else they have at the doggie daycare. Additionally, it's possible your pup had some separation anxiety, and may have stressed his leg from pawing at the door/enclosure? Anyway, in my experience dogs frequently get harmed at doggie daycare facilities, from other dogs, from over stimulation, or whatever.
They never get an opportunity to just lay around and chill. As soon as your dog lays down, some other dog comes over and wants to "play". This goes on basically for the entire day. I used to pick my dog up at 5:30 and he would fall asleep in the car, and then pass out on the couch as soon as we got home. I gave up after a couple of weeks, as he was just too tuckered out to be having fun.
Larger breeds may deal with this better?

You said you checked Yelp, why not leave a review on Yelp?

Sorry your dog is hurt.

But honestly all you know is your dog developed a limp at some point while he was in a kennel. Theres no specific evidence to point any blame at the kennel for this.

Maybe they did something negligent, thats possible. But what could they realistically have done to hurt him in such a way? You mention the possibility that they dropped him. That doesn't seem likely to me to cause such an injury. Couldn't the dog have gotten in an altercation with another dog? Your dog is small, was it in with larger dogs? Dogs getting in a fight seems more likely to me. Is the dog used to being kenneled away from family over night? Maybe he freaked out and go hurt? Is the dog 6 years old or older? Older dogs can develop injuries more easily. Our old dog developed a spinal injury of some sort without any kind of accident. Its all just speculation. I don't know what happened but neither do you.

If you demand money from them they can ignore you. Then what? YOu can sue them. Then you go to court and you've got zero evidence. They can simply plead innocence. How do you win in small claims here?

Did you sign an agreement, waiver, legal document of any kind when you dropped off the dog?

I would identify the owner or manager, and go there in person (unannounced) and speak to that person directly.  You just want to find out what happened to the dog.  Your secondary concern is that the employees lied to you.  Your last concern is the refund.  I would address each of those concerns, in that order.  If you don't get a satisfactory response, THEN I would go full throttle on reporting them to whoever licenses these facilities, online reviews, etc.

Even if it was an accident and not any sort of neglect, there's no excuse for their lack of honesty and concern for the animal's well-being.

jerosen said:   Sorry your dog is hurt.

But honestly all you know is your dog developed a limp at some point while he was in a kennel. Theres no specific evidence to point any blame at the kennel for this.

Maybe they did something negligent, thats possible. But what could they realistically have done to hurt him in such a way? You mention the possibility that they dropped him. That doesn't seem likely to me to cause such an injury. Couldn't the dog have gotten in an altercation with another dog? Your dog is small, was it in with larger dogs? Dogs getting in a fight seems more likely to me. Is the dog used to being kenneled away from family over night? Maybe he freaked out and go hurt? Is the dog 6 years old or older? Older dogs can develop injuries more easily. Our old dog developed a spinal injury of some sort without any kind of accident. Its all just speculation. I don't know what happened but neither do you.

If you demand money from them they can ignore you. Then what? YOu can sue them. Then you go to court and you've got zero evidence. They can simply plead innocence. How do you win in small claims here?

Did you sign an agreement, waiver, legal document of any kind when you dropped off the dog?

Its rather hard to blame them that the dog can't put his back foot down and can't walk, which is very different than a little limp you saw when picking him up.  Accuse them of anything, and they're going to flip the accusation right back on you since the dog was walking fine the last time they saw it.

Glitch99 said:   

Its rather hard to blame them that the dog can't put his back foot down and can't walk, which is very different than a little limp you saw when picking him up.  Accuse them of anything, and they're going to flip the accusation right back on you since the dog was walking fine the last time they saw it.

Nonsense... symptoms from an injury can get worse with time without suffering additional damage.

When they keep the dogs together in play area - they have a person sitting there watching. And they have two rooms small-medium and large dogs. And they check out the dogs if they are friendly or not - before putting them in common play room. So very very unlikely another dog attacked him - and even if they did, it would more likely be a bite ... i would think.

Glitch99 said:   

They described it as a limp .. and i saw he couldn't walk at the store .. i think they fully knew he couldn't walk.   Sure they can accuse back .. but more than 1 employee present there, and they've drop cam video (although i'm sure they'll delete it).  I did call them back immediately after i went home .. and told them i'll be back to discuss this with owner.

There is no natural reason .. why a healthy dog within 2 days develop that kind of issue with hind leg, so bad that he can't walk, and barely could put it down.

You probably don't have a small dog 6-7 lb ... if you drop them from your hand on a hard/concrete floor - depending on how they land, they can seriously get hurt.
He has stayed with other dog boarding before, but although there they kept dog separately. I know the dog did not freak out .. because, before boarding they took him to check out his temperament, and i saw in live video he was doing just fine.  Even after dropping him off few days later, we checked out the live video few times 1st day - no issue.  And this is a very friendly dog, and always likes playing with other dogs.

I don't recall what might have been in wavier - but certainly wont there something saying they wont contact me if something happens to the dog.  As matter of fact, this franchise is supposed to send daily email with dog's status/day report - i got none.   I'll go back to talk to owner and discuss it.

The dog was healthy, cable of running/jumping etc. when i dropped him off.  When i picked him up ... he can't use one of his leg and keeps it raised.  Vet thinks he got clearly hurt somehow - that's not something that could happen naturally to a dog .. that quickly (within 2 days).

dcwilbur said:   I would identify the owner or manager, and go there in person (unannounced) and speak to that person directly.  You just want to find out what happened to the dog.  Your secondary concern is that the employees lied to you.  Your last concern is the refund.  I would address each of those concerns, in that order.  If you don't get a satisfactory response, THEN I would go full throttle on reporting them to whoever licenses these facilities, online reviews, etc.

Even if it was an accident and not any sort of neglect, there's no excuse for their lack of honesty and concern for the animal's well-being.

That's what i think i'll do.  I'll wait to get the whole vet thing sorted out first ... he is on medication right now, and need to see for next few days for followup (if things done improve - however, it has improved quiet a bit last 2 days).

That's the other point - even it was an accident - these idiots got to give me a call.  That was down right abusive leaving the dog injured like that for 2 days, and even putting him in play area with other dog where he can't really sit and rest anywhere, and he can't walk.

"I don't recall what might have been in wavier ..."
First, yeah you should probably read that legal agreement you signed. I bet it might say something in there to protect the kennel legally from damages.

Yes, talk to the owner and see what they say. But don't come in accusing them of being lying, abusive idiots who negligently/recklessly hurting your dog because you assume they must have thrown him on the concrete and then demanding money.
sure I'm just speculating on what MIGHT have happened and I've got no proof. Your'e just guessing, speculating and accusing. There is really no proof to any claim they did anything nor even lied to you that I can see here. Maybe you're right and they did something wrong to cause the injury. Or maybe you're wrong and you are just mad at them cause you can't wrap your head around any other possible explanations and you're upset the dog got hurt.

You're going down the path of a small claims lawsuit so having a solid argument that would win in court matters. You don't have any proof or even evidence they did anything.

Yes I've owned small dogs. In fact a small dog who was old and developed a spinal injury basically due to age with no injury. How old is your dog? I threw out my back first when I was in my 20's so stuff can happen for no apparent reason to otherwise healhty young people.

What breed is the dog? Some are susceptible to certain kinds of problems.

jerosen said:   "I don't recall what might have been in wavier ..."
First, yeah you should probably read that legal agreement you signed. I bet it might say something in there to protect the kennel legally from damages.

Yes, talk to the owner and see what they say. But don't come in accusing them of being lying, abusive idiots who negligently/recklessly hurting your dog because you assume they must have thrown him on the concrete and then demanding money.
sure I'm just speculating on what MIGHT have happened and I've got no proof. Your'e just guessing, speculating and accusing. There is really no proof to any claim they did anything nor even lied to you that I can see here. Maybe you're right and they did something wrong to cause the injury. Or maybe you're wrong and you are just mad at them cause you can't wrap your head around any other possible explanations and you're upset the dog got hurt.

You're going down the path of a small claims lawsuit so having a solid argument that would win in court matters. You don't have any proof or even evidence they did anything.

Yes I've owned small dogs. In fact a small dog who was old and developed a spinal injury basically due to age with no injury. How old is your dog? I threw out my back first when I was in my 20's so stuff can happen for no apparent reason to otherwise healhty young people.

Dog is 6 years old yorkie .. and a dog doesn't develop that type of injury ..within 2 days!!!   I would think a vet can make that decision .. and vet told me that's not a natural/age related cause. 

And why would they be not mention it?   I had few 2 phone calls - one was checking why he is not there in camera view for whole day, and later next day stating i'm running late, and they may need to keep him another day.  Both time no mention of any injury - any idiot having basic knowledge of pet should know that dog needs medication/vet attention immedaitely.

Sounds like you've not had a lot of active pets before. Leg sprains are not uncommon and rarely have long lasting damage. My guess is your dog was crazy excited to be playing and mildly hurt his leg.

Remember, professional athletes sprain and tear tendons all the team during non contact ptactice. So it's not like it requires a terrible accident to cause what you've described.

Plus you've admitted the injury only got worse after you brought him home.  It's almost certain it started as a limp at the kennel.

Seriously you are way overreacting.

wilesmt said:   Sounds like you've not had a lot of active pets before. Leg sprains are not uncommon and rarely have long lasting damage. My guess is your dog was crazy excited to be playing and mildly hurt his leg.

Remember, professional athletes sprain and tear tendons all the team during non contact ptactice. So it's not like it requires a terrible accident to cause what you've described.

Plus you've admitted the injury only got worse after you brought him home.  It's almost certain it started as a limp at the kennel.

Seriously you are way overreacting.

Active pets?  I know my dog .. and six years never managed to do it.  He plays with other dogs all the time. So somehow within 2 days he manages to get hurt .. to the point he can barely stand up?    No i didn't mention he got worse when i brought him home .. it is a 10 mins drive to home.  I noticed the full extent of the problem at home.

You are comparing it to professional athletes?  Seriously?  What dogs are jumping through hoops, doing 50 mile marathon at day care center?

Yorkie genetic defects:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_Terrier#Health

Hypoplasia of dens is a non-formation of the pivot point of the second cervical vertebra, which leads to spinal cord damage.[40] Onset of the condition may occur at any age, producing signs ranging from neck pain to quadriplegia

Legg–Calvé–Perthes syndrome ... signs are pain, limping, or lameness (though that one usually shows signs in early life)

Your vet is making a logical guess about what the most likely cause of the injury was. But theres always other possibilities. You said the vet didn't do an xray. Did they do any test at all other than a physical/visual exam? Doesn't sound like it. How then would the vet diagnose a cause of the failure with anything but pure guesswork?
Yeah I'd trust a vets opinion over random speculation from random people like me on the interweb if I were you too. But what has your vet really done to diagnose this and what is their certainty in the source of the problem? What else might have caused it? Would the vet back you in court? (nope) If the vet said that theres 100% certainty that the only way your dog got injured in this manner is by negligence of the kennel employees then I'd find another vet. They likely didn't say anything close to that. They probably just threw out their guess on the likely cause, which I'm sure is a good guess. But its no proof nor even necessarily reliable.

prozario said:   What dogs are jumping through hoops, doing 50 mile marathon at day care center?

jack russell terrier

jerosen said:   Yorkie genetic defects:

Hypoplasia of dens is a non-formation of the pivot point of the second cervical vertebra, which leads to spinal cord damage.[40] Onset of the condition may occur at any age, producing signs ranging from neck pain to quadriplegia

Legg–Calvé–Perthes syndrome ... signs are pain, limping, or lameness (though that one usually shows signs in early life)

Your vet is making a logical guess about what the most likely cause of the injury was. But theres always other possibilities. You said the vet didn't do an xray. Did they do any test at all other than a physical/visual exam? Doesn't sound like it. How then would the vet diagnose a cause of the failure with anything but pure guesswork?
Yeah I'd trust a vets opinion over random speculation from random people like me on the interweb if I were you too. But what has your vet really done to diagnose this and what is their certainty in the source of the problem? What else might have caused it? Would the vet back you in court? (nope) If the vet said that theres 100% certainty that the only way your dog got injured in this manner is by negligence of the kennel employees then I'd find another vet. They likely didn't say anything close to that. They probably just threw out their guess on the likely cause, which I'm sure is a good guess. But its no proof nor even necessarily reliable.

Yorkie can develop lots of things ..  but they wont do it overnight.   And this is 6 years old .. so not considered that old .. they live around 12-15 years.
   Vet can tell by physical exam if it is like the ACL tear/pop .. which could happen naturally.  But she was pretty certain that isn't it .. she gave pain medication (shot plus daily dose).  And after that .. dog is already better - so that tells me, it is not related to age.

Rather than all this weird logic - 100% certainty - what would be the most logical explanation?  I drop off a healthy dog that hasn't managed to physically hurt himself for 6 years - less than 48 hours with this day care - he has serious injury?   And on day 2, when he is supposed to be view able through camera - he is mysteriously not visible throughout the day.  When i called later that day to check .. next day he is visible in camera .. but limping?  And no call via phone/email etc. at least to let me know that dog might have hurt himself?  

The lack of dog on camera is suspicious, but in the end, proves nothing.

Complaining to the owner may motivate the owner to investigate, but if it's truly an employee at fault and there's no witness, no video evidence, etc., the employee can simply deny, deny, deny. Alternatively, if there wasn't a specific event that caused the problem, there's nothing for an investigation to turn up, even if the owner is cooperative and all the employees are truthful.

You can try to get answers, but don't be surprised if you get no satisfactory information.

The main thing is your dog is healing and has proper care at home and veterinary supervision. Just don't use that place again.

Sounds like the dog stepped on something and the object is either still embedded in the foot/pad or still sore from the penetration.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Sounds like the dog stepped on something and the object is either still embedded in the foot/pad or still sore from the penetration.
Of course they claimed they checked for that.  So did i, and the vet.  That would be the first thing.   The way he walks, appears to me he hurt hip/upper leg area. It has gotten lot better after pain killer/rest/massage.   And in such case, dog would be licking the paw as well.

prozario said:   Quick question - need some feedback.  I went for a weekend trip and left my small 7 lb dog with a franchise type dog boarding place.   Read Yelp review all good - like 4 or 5 starts from 20 some people.  They've live cam etc etc for part of the days you can see your dog.  So drop off healthy dog on Friday .. all fine - see him on webcam doing fine.  Next day daughter checks on him on and off - but he is not in playroom with other dog. I thought whatever .. but she checked several times throughout the day - no sign of our dog.  So i call to see if any issue - they say all is fine.   I just can't see all angles within the room.  I'm like okay - probably nothing wrong.

So FF to 3rd day, when i was suppose to pick him up.  Daughter finds our dog in webcam but sees him limping - i'm like probably something minor.  So later that day, I'm running a bit late for 7pm pickup time - i called them, telling them I may not make it, and in that case, the dog stays overnight for one more day.  They mention okay fine - didn't say anything about any issue.

So i do make it by 7.15pm, and they agreed to get the dog .. so i was happy, and i even tipped them $20, on top of $150+ for 2.5 days boarding charge.   I see the dog limping, and the guy says, well it is probably because he played too much, he is tired, and we found him like that since morning.  I was in rush after long drive from Canada, took him home .. and noticed - he absolutely can't even put one of the back foot down.  He can't walk, and barely can stand up & looks traumatized.   I call them back .. and said what exactly happened - this doesn't look normal - and they gave same bs - we found him like that in morning.

Dog was in terrible shape 1st day i got back, cant go out for walking, can't put leash - he needed immediate medical attention.  And these idiots left him like that possibly for 2 days.  Took next day off, and got him to vet.  Luckily so far, they found nothing broken .. didn't do xray as they first wanted to try pain medication .. so about $60 for vet - need to observe for few days and then take him back depending on situation.  So today is 3rd day since i got him back .. so walking somewhat, but still limping a lot.  Vet said it was some sort of trama.  I'm thinking they dropped him or something.

So my question is ... what should i do?  I'm royally ticked off - they seriously hurt my dog, and then lied about it.  And worse thing is - they took down his vet info - just 1 mile down the road, and didn't even bother to call me, or do anything to get him to vet - and kept him in that condition for 2 days.  

Is it fair to ask for boarding fee back?   Plus some medical expense?  I'm definitely going to write a review... even if i don't get any money back.   

It could be they just made a mistake - it is a small dog.  But they totally deny it, and claims a healthy dog severally injured his hind legs all by himself overnight (basically they keep them in small enclosed closet - so very difficult to get hurt) - something he has not ever done in 6  years.

I'm confused here.

You dropped the dog off on Friday.  You see him on webcam doing fine.  So no problem Friday.  Then "FF" to third day when he is limping on webcam but "I'm like probably something minor".  (But then you complain that they "kept him in that condition for 2 days".) You pick the dog up later that night (Sunday?), tip them $20, but then notice the limping again and take him to the vet the next day.  Then you say that today (Tuesday) is the third day since you got him back.  Something doesn't add up there with the days.   

Assuming that the third day when you noticed the dog limping was Sunday, did you expect that they should have taken the dog to the vet on Sunday?  You yourself weren't too concerned about the dog limping when seen on the webcam and when you noticed when you picked him up that he "can't walk" and "needed immediate medical attention" you didn't take him to the vet until the following day.  I'm just wondering why you would have expected them to have reacted in a different way than you yourself did?  Also, you claim that "they seriously hurt my dog, then lied about it" but I didn't see anything in your post about the vet saying that your dog was "seriously hurt", in fact, it seems the vet must think it wasn't seriously hurt if nothing was broken, no x-rays were performed, and they gave him some pain medication and sent him home. 

I have several dogs and our smallest will periodically limp for a day or so after dog "roughhousing" with the others or if he gets too carried away at the dog park.  I say that not to minimize your concern but to suggest that perhaps your accusations that "they" hurt your dog and that they "lied about it" and that your belief that they should have taken him to the vet for the limp Sunday (when you yourself didn't when you noticed he couldn't even walk) may not be the way to approach this.  I personally think you are overreacting. 

DTASFAB said:   The lack of dog on camera is suspicious, but in the end, proves nothing.

Complaining to the owner may motivate the owner to investigate, but if it's truly an employee at fault and there's no witness, no video evidence, etc., the employee can simply deny, deny, deny. Alternatively, if there wasn't a specific event that caused the problem, there's nothing for an investigation to turn up, even if the owner is cooperative and all the employees are truthful.

You can try to get answers, but don't be surprised if you get no satisfactory information.

The main thing is your dog is healing and has proper care at home and veterinary supervision. Just don't use that place again.

Of course wont use that place again!!    In the past i used PETsMART - which i think is fairly good.  Only thing with them was they pretty much put dog in his room and unless you buy separate playtime, they dont get out much.  This place had playtime and then they put them in room later at night - bit more expensive, but thought it would be better.

But yes agreed - it is not like proving a criminal case, they'll say of course we did nothing.  At this point, will just talk to the owner, after i see what the vet/health situation goes for this week, and see what the owner says.  

prozario said:   
jerosen said:   Yorkie genetic defects:

Yorkie can develop lots of things ..  but they wont do it overnight.   And this is 6 years old .. so not considered that old .. they live around 12-15 years.
   Vet can tell by physical exam if it is like the ACL tear/pop .. which could happen naturally.  But she was pretty certain that isn't it .. she gave pain medication (shot plus daily dose).  And after that .. dog is already better - so that tells me, it is not related to age.

Rather than all this weird logic - 100% certainty - what would be the most logical explanation?  I drop off a healthy dog that hasn't managed to physically hurt himself for 6 years - less than 48 hours with this day care - he has serious injury?   And on day 2, when he is supposed to be view able through camera - he is mysteriously not visible throughout the day.  When i called later that day to check .. next day he is visible in camera .. but limping?  And no call via phone/email etc. at least to let me know that dog might have hurt himself?  

My point is that you'e got a lot of circumstantial evidence but nothing really concrete there.  

Yes I think the strong possibility that the dog got injured somehow at the kennel is quite likely.   But did the employees do anything to cause that?    Well you've got nothing at all to support that claim.

Your questions were asking if its fair to ask for money and how to go about it.

Yes sure go talk to the owner and tell them the dog was injured somehow while at the kennel and see what they say.    
And then what?

Well if the kennel owner is agreeable and gives you a refund then I think the matter is closed.
If they get defensive, point to the legal waiver you signed and support their employee account that nothing went wrong then what?   You could sue but I don't think you've got enough here to win in a lawsusit.   IANAL but thats my opinion.   You asked for opinions.   Next time specify you only want opinions that agree with yours if thats all you want.

stinkydooky said:   
prozario said:   Quick question - need some feedback.  I went for a weekend trip and left my small 7 lb dog with a franchise type dog boarding place.   Read Yelp review all good - like 4 or 5 starts from 20 some people.  They've live cam etc etc for part of the days you can see your dog.  So drop off healthy dog on Friday .. all fine - see him on webcam doing fine.  Next day daughter checks on him on and off - but he is not in playroom with other dog. I thought whatever .. but she checked several times throughout the day - no sign of our dog.  So i call to see if any issue - they say all is fine.   I just can't see all angles within the room.  I'm like okay - probably nothing wrong.

I'm confused here.

You dropped the dog off on Friday.  You see him on webcam doing fine.  So no problem Friday.  Then "FF" to third day when he is limping on webcam but "I'm like probably something minor".  (But then you complain that they "kept him in that condition for 2 days".) You pick the dog up later that night (Sunday?), tip them $20, but then notice the limping again and take him to the vet the next day.  Then you say that today (Tuesday) is the third day since you got him back.  Something doesn't add up there with the days.   

Assuming that the third day when you noticed the dog limping was Sunday, did you expect that they should have taken the dog to the vet on Sunday?  You yourself weren't too concerned about the dog limping when seen on the webcam and when you noticed when you picked him up that he "can't walk" and "needed immediate medical attention" you didn't take him to the vet until the following day.  I'm just wondering why you would have expected them to have reacted in a different way than you yourself did?  Also, you claim that "they seriously hurt my dog, then lied about it" but I didn't see anything in your post about the vet saying that your dog was "seriously hurt", in fact, it seems the vet must think it wasn't seriously hurt if nothing was broken, no x-rays were performed, and they gave him some pain medication and sent him home. 

I have several dogs and our smallest will periodically limp for a day or so after dog "roughhousing" with the others or if he gets too carried away at the dog park.  I say that not to minimize your concern but to suggest that perhaps your accusations that "they" hurt your dog and that they "lied about it" and that your belief that they should have taken him to the vet for the limp Sunday (when you yourself didn't when you noticed he couldn't even walk) may not be the way to approach this.  I personally think you are overreacting. 

1st day (fri) i dropped him off  

2nd day (sat) didn't see him on webcam.  When i called later that day - they said all is fine, and i possibly don't see him because he is at edge of door.  I suspect he was injured this day .. and they didn't want to admit, and that's why they didn't put him in the playroom with webcam - with his injury, it wouldn't make sense to put him on the playroom.

3rd day (Sunday) .. day i'm picking him up, was supposed to come back to NJ from Canada around 5pm but due to heavy rain go there at 7.15 pm.  But we saw in on webcamp and saw him limping earlier that day.  You cannot make much stuff out of it - because it is very large room, and you see tiny shape of dogs. By that time i went home perhaps 7.30 pm or so vet was already closed.  I waited and got him to vet with earliest appointment like 9:00 am or so when they open.

They claimed they saw the injury in the morning .. and they open stuff up around 7am-8am when they move dogs to playroom.   So obviously, i'm not expecting them to do anything different than anyone with half a brain would do:  Either call the owner, or perhaps check with the vet you have on file - there must be reason you asked for vet information!!

It is not simple limp .. he could barely stand when i got him, could not put leash on him - just kept falling down.  So obviously they couldn't walk him either for potty break or anything.  Would you not expect as owner to get a call, and at least ask what you want us to do?

Vet gave him a pain killer shot and med - that's her best guess right now, nothing is broken.  Basically wanted to see how it goes for few days before x-ray.

So in your opinion, unless leg is broken it is not a serious injury?  

stinkydooky said:   

I'm confused here.

so let me ask you .. when your dog periodically limp:
  1) Can you put leash on them and walk slowly?  I certainly could not do it
  2) Can they physically lift one leg and pee (male dog) .... mine couldn't.  He fell when trying to do it
  3) Can they walk a bit, and move around?  Mine could not ..  he sat and stayed  put.  
  4) Regular limp .. they put pressure on the leg on and off, put still puts the foot down.  Yes i've seen that - but in this case, the leg was permanent up  and he was trying to hop on three legs and kept falling.

OP, remove your defensive attitude and you'll probably be much better off. Just trying to help, and certainly not trying to be a jerk. Take a step back and look at this from all angles. Don't just look at it from your emotional perspective.

jaytrader said:   OP, remove your defensive attitude and you'll probably be much better off. Just trying to help, and certainly not trying to be a jerk. Take a step back and look at this from all angles. Don't just look at it from your emotional perspective.

yeah looking at all angles, if you charge $50 a day to keep a dog, and somehow dog gets injured to the point you can't walk him or he can barely stand up ... would you not expect a call as owner, something seems wrong - what action you want to take?  I mean they take down vet info, your contact etc etc for reason.

prozario said:   

Dog is 6 years old yorkie .. and a dog doesn't develop that type of injury ..within 2 days!!!   I would think a vet can make that decision .. and vet told me that's not a natural/age related cause. 

And why would they be not mention it?   I had few 2 phone calls - one was checking why he is not there in camera view for whole day, and later next day stating i'm running late, and they may need to keep him another day.  Both time no mention of any injury - any idiot having basic knowledge of pet should know that dog needs medication/vet attention immedaitely.

But apparently you didn't... 

stinkydooky said:   
prozario said:   

you understand  difference between trying to find a vet after 7pm (which is when i found out) and 8am in the morning (which is when they knew about it)?  

prozario said:   
stinkydooky said:   
prozario said:   

you understand  difference between trying to find a vet after 7pm (which is when i found out) and 8am in the morning (which is when they knew about it)?  

Sure.  On a Sunday when every vet I know is closed...no difference.  If I need to contact a vet on Sunday, whether at 8 am or 7 pm, I can just call their office and their answering service will contact the vet in case of emergency (i.e., need for immediate vet attention).  Any vet worth taking your animal to has provisions for after hours care in serious urgent cases.   

stinkydooky said:   
prozario said:   
stinkydooky said:   
prozario said:   

Sure.  On a Sunday when every vet I know is closed...no difference.  If I need to contact a vet on Sunday, whether at 8 am or 7 pm, I can just call their office and their answering service will contact the vet in case of emergency (i.e., need for immediate vet attention).  Any vet worth taking your animal to has provisions for after hours care in serious urgent cases.   

There are vets open on Sunday but most close early - of course if you try at 8-9 am, you'll get someone.  And they really had to call me first, at least to inform me, and let me make a call... which they did not.  

So let me ask you  something .. .obviously not same as human vs a dog - you drop off your child to daycare, and he/she twists her foot so bad they cannot walk.  Obviously he/she wont die - but could be in really lot of pain.  What you expect your childcare people to do - just sit around - and say - well .. whatever, when the parents come back, they'll figure it out.  We'll still put him in the play area .. sure the little guy can't walk .. but he can stumble around and play with other kids.  And say - the parent calls saying i may not make it on time, so may have you keep overnight for another day.  What you expect them to say - well .. you know it is twisted foot only, sure he/she cant walk - cant walk to the bathroom - but he aint dying tonight.  So we'll let them know when they get here?

prozario said:   
  There are vets open on Sunday but most close early - of course if you try at 8-9 am, you'll get someone.  And they really had to call me first, at least to inform me, and let me make a call... which they did not.  

So let me ask you  something .. .obviously not same as human vs a dog - you drop off your child to daycare, and he/she twists her foot so bad they cannot walk.  Obviously he/she wont die - but could be in really lot of pain.  What you expect your childcare people to do - just sit around - and say - well .. whatever, when the parents come back, they'll figure it out.  We'll still put him in the play area .. sure the little guy can't walk .. but he can stumble around and play with other kids.  And say - the parent calls saying i may not make it on time, so may have you keep overnight for another day.  What you expect them to say - well .. you know it is twisted foot only, sure he/she cant walk - cant walk to the bathroom - but he aint dying tonight.  So we'll let them know when they get here?

Uh oh... you just unleashed the vegan.  I see nothing obvious about your conclusion, nor do I agree with it.  A dog is entitled to all the same care and entitlements as a human child.

You should have been notified immediately as soon as any employee of the doggy daycare became aware of a problem.  No exceptions.

prozario said:   
stinkydooky said:   
prozario said:   
stinkydooky said:   
prozario said:   

I thought you said " I see the dog limping, and the guy says, well it is probably because he played too much, he is tired, and we found him like that since morning.  I was in rush after long drive from Canada, took him home .. and noticed -...".  So how is it now the dog couldn't walk at the boarding place?  According to your first post, when you picked him up, he was only limping.  It was only after you got home that you said the dog couldn't walk.  So, viewing this reasonably, who should have immediately called the vet?  The person at the boarding place because the dog was limping or the owner because the dog couldn't walk????  I don't know why you think they should have sought immediate medical attention for the limp when you didn't seek immediate medical attention for the inability to even walk.

You asked for feedback, there it is.  Hopefully your dog will recover fully and quickly from what appears (from the treatment and prognosis that your vet provided) to be a minor sprain or other minor concern.  In that case, I'd recommend you drop the accusations  that "they" hurt your dog and that "they" lied about it and that "they" should have rushed him immediately to the emergency vet clinic and instead calmly discuss your concern with the owner about their lack of communication with you about your dog's limp and see what accommodation, if any, they might be willing to make.  Then find yourself a different boarding facility and leave whatever online review you think appropriate. 

Just my two cents. 

ClaimsGuy said:   Mail them a demand letter for reimbursement of the boarding fees, vets costs and meds. Give them 30 days to pay. On day 31 file a small claims lawsuit.

Just remember, just because the dog is hurt, it doesn't mean the provider was negligent. If the dog got hurt while playing with other dogs, I don't see how that is negligent. Next time leave the dog at a normal kennel in crate except for walks and this won't happen.

That's what i'm going to do going forward.  Usually mostly keep with family members .. but this one was family thing and every went away.   Last time i kept at PETsMART .. which doesn't require you to add the playtime.   Yes dog could get hurt playing with other dog ... but the type of injury i saw - it would have to be larger dog falling on top of him somehow to basically bend/compress the leg.  Possible .. but they keep the smaller/medium dog separately & someone is at watch .  At very least, i expected them to make a call saying there is a problem.  And they claimed they noticed the problem in morning .. which doesn't make sense - in  a small locked cube/closet - there is not enough room or any object to hurt themselves.  There isn't enough space/height to even jump high.

Skipping 46 Messages...
ledwards said:   Now that the little guy has aggravated his patella issue, I'm concerned it will continue to be a problem off and on. Look into pet stairs and start training with treats for doggie to use the stairs to get up and down from the bed. You need to train him not to hop down from the couch when you get up. He needs to sit there and wait for you to pick him up and put him on the floor.

This is actually pretty serious. I didn't have a Yorkie, I had Silky Terriers (which are about 3-5 lbs larger - a sister breed), so I'm familiar with small breed problems. I know you want to believe that daycare "injured" him, but in actuality I think he aggravated his patella problem by overplay, no rest, and probably some anxiety jumping at the doors/gates. The symptoms you described, arching, leg pulling up, are pretty typical signs of a patella that has slipped. Now that he's resting, it slipped back. Anyway, it doesn't matter how, it's about making sure your pup heals up and avoids surgery if possible. Good luck

The play  i think 4-5 hours they stay in the play room - and they have few hours break in between and then night i guess around 6 or 7 pm they put them in own cube/small room separately and stays there till morning (so they already get 12 hours rest). And we  watched him several times through webcam - it is not type of place where he would run full speed - he doesn't do it without carpet or grass.  By "play" most we saw our  dog and other sniffing each other - walking around a bit. That's mostly he does with other dogs.  They checked his behavior few days before actual check in - i saw same thing in webcab - really my dog wasn't at all jumpy/excited - just saw him walk, other dogs sniffed him a bit and that's it.  And at night the smaller cube/room they put them in - they can't really jump within it - too small.  And he is the type who'll sleep like all day, so if the put him in bed, he'll take his sweet nap for 11-12 hours.   So he must have had about 11-12 hours rest/alone time when they bring them out in the morning - and stated they found him like that.  

He does 10x more stuff when family is present.  We've have family gathering of say 25-30 people, and he'll go around and jump at almost everybody - stay super excited all day moving all around, jumping here and there for entire day like 7-8 hours - never has issue.  Doesn't do that with people outside though.   We took him to outdoor/hiking once - lot of movement whole day no issue.  I keep him lot of time with a relative in Manhattan - they tell me, he keeps them walking for over hour for potty break - no issue.  So it is hard for me to believe something else didn't happen.  I mean nothing like this has happened over 6  years - and within like 2 days it happens at day care.  Coincidence?  Who knows.  But also - you would think these idiots would just give a call - which they didn't - if you do daycare for dog, and can't walk him - because he can't walk - at least let the owner know something is wrong.  

I'm seeing the leg/knee issue improving as well.   Sometimes hard to tell .. they move their legs so fast - hard to tell now if there is any  limp now.  But seems that knee stuff is almost gone as well.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017