• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Quick question regarding a potential auto insurance claim. Here are the basic facts:

My car was broken into last week at a public park. A side window was shattered and a purse and wallet were stolen, along with approximately $150 in cash. Police were called and a report was filed. I was over 200 miles away from home at the time, so I wanted to get the window fixed/replaced as soon as possible, before heading back home. Was able to get a local dealer to do the work right away (over the weekend) for a total of $730. This has been paid (by me). My insurance is with Progressive Insurance in Massachusetts and my deductible is $500, but I haven't contacted them yet.

So... would you make a claim on your insurance for this incident? I'm back at home now and my initial thought is to NOT make a claim. I assume I'll only get reimbursed $230 and the claim could potentially raise my rates in the future. What does the collective FW wisdom think?

Thanks in advance!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Are you sure your $500 deductible applies?  This sounds like a comprehensive claim that may have a lower deductible.  Read your policy.

I cant say about what your insurer will pay/reimburse. But I will say this: what ever is the loss that you finally conclude is something you need to chalk it up towards "lessons learnt".

But, Didn't you have any prior common sense to not leave attractive magnets in plain view in a parked car?
So, use this incident to help yourselves avoid any such future lapses on your part.....

And if have glass coverage, I've made many glass claims in past and hasn't affected rates.

dcwilbur said:   Are you sure your $500 deductible applies?  This sounds like a comprehensive claim that may have a lower deductible.  Read your policy.

I looked up my coverages online and this is what it said:  
Comprehensive (Part 9): $500 deductible with $500 Glass deductible

I assume the "Glass deductible" applied to the windshield, but either way, I believe it's still $500. I guess it doesn't hurt to call Progressive to confirm. Thanks!

valvo23 said:   And if have glass coverage, I've made many glass claims in past and hasn't affected rates.

If claiming this incident doesn't affect my rates in the future, I guess there's no downside to making a claim now on a relatively small amount.

My fear was that this would be a "strike" against me. Even if the insurance company allows a strike (or two) now, I wanted to keep my record as incident free as possible, in case something "real" happens in the future.

Thanks for the input!

It is a strike, but it's a soft strike. Windows are lowest cost bit of damage that a insurance company will cover. Will they put it on their CLUE report? Maybe.

dealgain said:   I cant say about what your insurer will pay/reimburse. But I will say this: what ever is the loss that you finally conclude is something you need to chalk it up towards "lessons learnt".

But, Didn't you have any prior common sense to not leave attractive magnets in plain view in a parked car?
So, use this incident to help yourselves avoid any such future lapses on your part.....

Thanks for the advice. Purse was hidden underneath a towel, so it wasn't in plain view. But the incident happened at a dog park. I believe the thief was watching for potential female victims, who didn't take a purse with them when exiting their cars with only their pet. When speaking to the police officer, he mentioned this was the third incident in this parking lot within the last day or two.

But yes, I agree this was a lapse in judgement. I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood with VERY low crime. People on my street leave their cars unlocked, front door open all day, and garage doors open and unattended for extended periods. This incident happened 200 miles away from home in a more urban setting where one should be more aware / diligent / careful. So yes, lesson learned.

I myself would not report it.
Like you said, the most you would be reimbursed is $230.
Save your "strike" for a big claim. They will "strike" your account, and make a claim in your CLUE report (so any insurance shopping you do, the other companies will know there was a claim).

forbin4040 said:   Will they put it on their CLUE report? Maybe.Considering that Roadside Assistance calls often are put on CLUE, why only "maybe" for using insurance for $730 worth of damage ?

JSC said:   I guess it doesn't hurt to call Progressive to confirm. Thanks!Just calling to ask will likely involve CLUE.

So you have renters insurance? Some items in your purse or wallet may actually be covered by that policy, even if hey weren't in your home at the time of loss.

My car's passenger window was shattered a few weeks ago. I have full glass coverage (Geico) with no deductible, so the window was replaced with zero out of pocket costs. Plus, Geico immediately reimbursed me for what I paid to have the interior thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed by a detailing shop. This was even though the glass replacement company did a very good (but no perfect) job vacuuming up the broken pieces of glass. My car insurance bill for the next six months just arrived and there has been no increase in the premium.

$700 for a side window? I paid $140 for one window at Vallejo, CA.

I was at Oakland, CA, one of the most crime ridden places (not necessarily more violent crimes but thefts, car break ins). My side window was broken twice. I looked on Yelp.com and found a local glass replacement place with excellent reviews. The 1st window he installed slide up and down fine but I could tell it's not the original size. The window would shake a little but it is functional.  The 2nd window I specifically asked for a higher quality and work perfectly fine as the original. 

Wow. $700 for a window. You def. should have shopped that around on Yelp. I had a similar issue, no insurance involved. Found a reputable guy who came to me, vaccuumed the entire inside and replaced the window for $150.

I had my new truck broken into (in a secured apartment garage) when it was a week old, and they broke 4 different windows. The glass company had two of the windows in "unbranded" glass and the other 2 were only available at the dealer. The dealer glass was $500+ per piece and the "unbranded" glass was $150.

The dealer sent the wrong piece and by the time it was sorted they had "unbranded" versions of that window in stock and used the cheaper one. Unbranded means the same glass from the same manufacturer, but it does not have the automaker emblem printed on it. The one piece that still had to be dealer was a non-opening glass that mounts alongside the opening piece in the frame. It was also the last piece to arrive and the back passenger glass could not be replaced until it arrived.

The two front windows were laminated, which they broke first and failed to get in. Then they broke the second row glass and its side window instead.

I had a $250 comp deductible at the time.

So yeah, you should have gone to a Safelite or similar shop (who are usually open on weekends). They can also "crashwrap" the openings if they have to order glass or parts.

Duplicate post

Yep... the part was $180 and the dealer charged for 3 hours of labor @ over $160/hr. Add in tax and you get $730 total. This happened on Friday. I called around to several places including Safelite and other dealers. Unfortunately, the other places didn't have the replacement window on hand and would have needed to special order for installation the following week. So yes, I could have paid less, if I was able to stick around, but that would have cost me money in other ways since I was away from home.

I'm getting the general impression that I should let it go and not call my insurance company. At best, I get back $230, which in the big picture is not worth a potential strike against me in the future.

Thanks everyone who responded and added their $0.02!

xoneinax said:   
JSC said:   I guess it doesn't hurt to call Progressive to confirm. Thanks!
Just calling to ask will likely involve CLUE.

This. I simply inquired about how much a windshield replacement would cost if I went through insurance. I ended up just paying out of pocket to replace the cracked windshield. Now that simple inquiry I made shows on my CLUE report!

Meh, the FW way is to return home with a nylon sheet over your window...

Ecuadorgr said:   Meh, the FW way is to return home with a nylon sheet over your window...

Yeah, the local Safelite would have crash wrapped you and set up an appointment at your local shop to have the window replaced.  It took weeks to get mine fixed due to that half-glass which was dealer only.

Which, BTW, may be all the insurance would pay for.  Inflated hourly rates are not as likely to be covered as if it was just expensive glass.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017