Class Action Claim Unique Question

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A few years ago I paid for an ex-friend ("A") who was hounded by a collection agency. Address of "A" at that time was my place. I lost contact with "A" and now I received a post card with Claim ID to a Class Action addressed to "A" (ex-friend name but my current address). My question is if I log into that Class Action site and submit a claim under my name and if I receive a check to my ex-friend's name can I cash it? Of course my claim could be rejected or it could be issued to my name because I plan to submit using my own name.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This sounds just so wrong.

You know you are committing fraud right?  Just because you paid for it doesn't give you the right to pretend to be your 'ex-friend' and collect.
Actually now that I read this again, it sounds more like an 'ex-wife' and you are trying to collect a check in her name.

Just endorse it over to yourself. Yes, it is illegal but the chances of being caught is nil.

nhjknjvbnhklklmss said:   Just endorse it over to yourself. Yes, it is illegal but the chances of being caught is nil.
  I have done this a few time.  On a class action check, nobody really cares.  Your ex-roommate will never notice a check he does not expect to receive, is missing.

History admits no rules, only outcomes.

Best case, this is perjury. Worst case, fraud. I sure hope that this potential award big enough to risk the hard time that could come with it.

bbrite said:   A few years ago I paid for an ex-friend ("A") who was hounded by a collection agency. Address of "A" at that time was my place. I lost contact with "A" and now I received a post card with Claim ID to a Class Action addressed to "A" (ex-friend name but my current address). My question is if I log into that Class Action site and submit a claim under my name and if I receive a check to my ex-friend's name can I cash it? Of course my claim could be rejected or it could be issued to my name because I plan to submit using my own name.
  First, DONT Do this.

With that said, is the class action at all related to the collection agency? OP doesnt say that.
ETA: There is nothing unique about your question. Change the title to "How to submit false claim in a class action"

All this for a $5 check?

Five buck fraud for five in the the pen.  Has a nice ring to it.

DamnoIT said:   Five buck fraud for five in the the pen.  Has a nice ring to it.
  I guess you did not read the "waitress altered my tip on my credit card slip" thread where everybody said the cops do not care about such piddling amounts.   - JepJepJep

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017