DO NOT do this survey from Ally Bank to earn a $10 Amazon gift certificate. Waste of time.

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I got the following email. The survey about financial products goes on forever. When I thought I was nearing the end, they started to ask the same questions. I gave up. I would have died from old age before completing it. I'm seriously considering CLOSING my Ally account because of this nonsense.

We want to hear from you.
Ally was built around a simple premise: you should expect more from your bank. With feedback from customers like you, we can provide better products and services. We'd appreciate it if you could complete this survey to help us better understand your experiences as a customer.

As a thank you for your participation, all customers who complete the survey will be emailed a $10 Amazon.com gift card* within 90 days of study completion.

Thank you.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm aggravated about this. It's nothing but abusing their customers. They used a company called Kantar Media to conduct it. The survey was about rating financial products from them and other financial institutions. They shot themselves in the foot. After trying to complete this nonsense, Ally has now dropped the opinion I have of them as the last financial institution I would do business with. I now wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemies. Whoever thought up this crap ought to be looking for work.

Tomorrow I'll be emailing Ally about this, and may just close my account.

A close second in the Survey from Hello Department is one I did for Discover /JD Power in the past few days.
No financial incentive on that one.

burgerwars said:   I'm aggravated about this. It's nothing but abusing their customers. They used a company called Kantar Media to conduct it. The survey was about rating financial products from them and other financial institutions. They shot themselves in the foot. After trying to complete this nonsense, Ally has now dropped the opinion I have of them as the last financial institution I would do business with. I now wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemies. Whoever thought up this crap ought to be looking for work.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being "not at all aggravated" and 5 being "extremely aggravated" how aggravated would you say you are?

S197 said:   
burgerwars said:   I'm aggravated about this. It's nothing but abusing their customers. They used a company called Kantar Media to conduct it. The survey was about rating financial products from them and other financial institutions. They shot themselves in the foot. After trying to complete this nonsense, Ally has now dropped the opinion I have of them as the last financial institution I would do business with. I now wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemies. Whoever thought up this crap ought to be looking for work.

On a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being "not at all aggravated" and 5 being "extremely aggravated" how aggravated would you say you are?

OP's not gonna answer that unless you give him a $1 Amazon gift card

Is it really abuse since you agreed to take the survey? You could have closed the browser at any time.

qcumber98 said:   Is it really abuse since you agreed to take the survey? You could have closed the browser at any time.

The problem with some of these surveys is that you take them and then they tell you they reached their limit for gifts - or they run you In a loop until you quit. Whereas if they tell you upfront at least you can decide if you want to take it for nothing. 

rufflesinc said:   
S197 said:   

OP's not gonna answer that unless you give him a $1 Amazon gift card

After he picks option 5 - really aggravated, present him with 3 more pages of questions around aggravation. 

At the end of each page put, "Your Amazon $1 GC will be on the next page"  

Some surveys ask similar or identical questions to make sure you answer consistently.

jason745 said:   
qcumber98 said:   Is it really abuse since you agreed to take the survey? You could have closed the browser at any time.
  The problem with some of these surveys is that you take them and then they tell you they reached their limit for gifts - or they run you In a loop until you quit. Whereas if they tell you upfront at least you can decide if you want to take it for nothing. 

But that's how e-rewards.com works!

"Surveys" whether online or by phone often result in scam marketing as your info gets sold. Best never to take unless you really, really trust the company such as your doctor.

Wow, a bit of an overreaction don't you think? Ally is still a great bank with a great product.

Chill99 said:   Wow, a bit of an overreaction don't you think? Ally is still a great bank with a great product.
The only part I thought was an overreaction was when he described Ally as, "the last financial institution I would do business with."  Even with stupid surveys that suck you into the abyss, I'm sure there are at least a few others that are still worse.  OP's statement on this obviously isn't exactly true, because he's not 100% decided on closing his account(s) with Ally.  That tells me he'd have to go out and open an account with every other financial institution on the planet if he wanted to both not be a hypocrite and keep his Ally account(s) open.

OP has to decide if he's going to get more from the psychological satisfaction of closing his account(s) or get more from keeping them in his rotation of banking options, albeit in a lesser, more appropriate role than before.

I'm sick of Shitibank (sick enough to want to close all my accounts with them, including credit cards), but I have my reasons for keeping three accounts (one checking, one money market, one savings) open with them.  And as long as I have the banking accounts open, I figure it only hurts me, not them, to close two sock-drawered credit cards I have from them, one of which is Double Cash, which I may eventually start using.  They're not really my "main bank" anymore, although I don't consider any other the other banks where I hold accounts to be my "main bank" either.  The difference is that until recently, I could have closed all the other accounts and been fine with Citibank alone.  Not true anymore.  I take a little from here, a little from there, and I use them for what I need, not what any of them want to sell me.

snork615 said:   "Surveys" whether online or by phone often result in scam marketing as your info gets sold. Best never to take unless you really, really trust the company such as your doctor.
  Kantar (a division of WPP) is one of the largest & most respected market research companies. They are not selling your info if they are running a survey for someone.

Ally has gone downhill hugely since the IPO, customer service, fees etc...

I'm leaving them soon.

BostonOne said:   
snork615 said:   "Surveys" whether online or by phone often result in scam marketing as your info gets sold. Best never to take unless you really, really trust the company such as your doctor.
  Kantar (a division of WPP) is one of the largest & most respected market research companies. They are not selling your info if they are running a survey for someone.

how do you know this for a fact? Do you work for them?????

dealgain said:   
BostonOne said:   

how do you know this for a fact? Do you work for them?????

I do not work for them, but I have worked with them as a vendor in the past (as well as several other research companies). They would not be in business long if they were in the business of selling their clients' data, which of course is contractually prohibited in the agreements their clients have with them.

stanolshefski said:   Some surveys ask similar or identical questions to make sure you answer consistently.
  There is a survey design model put forth by Kano where complimentary questions are designed to validate the respondent's answers.  Weeds out people selecting random answers, people who didn't understand the question, and poorly designed questions.

Grow up, you don't have to do the survey.  This might be the most ridiculous thing I've read.  You say you like the bank but a survey you don't have to take to get a $10 gift card is so traumatizing that you would scrape this relationship.  You must be a hoot in the rest of your life.

OP experience sounds the same as some surveys offered from SSI, the company that contracts with several online survey companies to provide surveys to you on behalf of another company, such as IHG, AA, United, and others to provide you with loyalty rewards. Some of the surveys kept on going, or worse, lock up after 30 minutes in it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017