Second job

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi, Long time FWF member. I am currently working in the hitech (electronic system/ckt design) area in a F500 company and paid reasonably well. I might possibly get an offer from a biotech startup. I am not really looking to change now, however this happened through some common contacts. They also briefly floated of working part-time for them and I could possibly convert this to a part-time offer wherein I work for abt 20hrs/week. 

Considering this, can I work for a second job (part-time) while I am employed? The market/product of the two companies are unrelated, but yeah they require the same general skills.
Also, is it feasible to float a LLC and work as a consultant through the LLC?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Did you happen to search? This question gets posed quite a bit. Probably every 2 to 3 months.

FYI, if you work both jobs in the same day, the IRS lets you deduct commuting expenses at 57.5 cents/mile.

Two jobs?! I work five jobs, mon!

qcumber98 said:   Two jobs?! I work five jobs, mon!
 Since we are bragging, I dont need any stinking jobs - I am at zero jobs.

FWF007 said:   Hi, Long time FWF member. I am currently working in the hitech (electronic system/ckt design) area in a F500 company and paid reasonably well. I might possibly get an offer from a biotech startup. I am not really looking to change now, however this happened through some common contacts. They also briefly floated of working part-time for them and I could possibly convert this to a part-time offer wherein I work for abt 20hrs/week. 

Considering this, can I work for a second job (part-time) while I am employed? The market/product of the two companies are unrelated, but yeah they require the same general skills.

Short answer: yes.  

Longer Answer:  yes, as long as you don't have a contract that says otherwise.  Legally you work for them, they don't OWN you -- unless you agreed to not moonlight.

FWF007 said:   Hi, Long time FWF member. I am currently working in the hitech (electronic system/ckt design) area in a F500 company and paid reasonably well. I might possibly get an offer from a biotech startup. I am not really looking to change now, however this happened through some common contacts. They also briefly floated of working part-time for them and I could possibly convert this to a part-time offer wherein I work for abt 20hrs/week. 

Be wary of situations where you may be required to be at two places at the same time. You routine schedules at the two places may not overlap but there could always be one time meeting/travel/retreat etc. that you canot avoid and this could expose your second gig to your main employer.

fwuser12 said:     Be wary of situations where you may be required to be at two places at the same time. You routine schedules at the two places may not overlap but there could always be one time meeting/travel/retreat etc. that you canot avoid and this could expose your second gig to your main employer.

seems like this would only apply if you were either a terrible liar, or incredibly unimaginative where you couldnt say anything but the 100% complete truth.

fwuser12 said:   

Be wary of situations where you may be required to be at two places at the same time. You routine schedules at the two places may not overlap but there could always be one time meeting/travel/retreat etc. that you canot avoid and this could expose your second gig to your main employer.

If it isn't on your "normal" schedule then you can always tell the employer you are not available.  Things like training are usually well in advance and your SECOND job knows you are moonlighting.  

Obviously this entire scenario only works when one of the employers is aware and willing to work around the other job schedule.   The last time I was doing two jobs it was overlap - I knew I was going to leave the first one eventually but was willing to work both as long as I could.  Eventually the second (better paying) job needed me to change schedules and I gave my notice.  Second job also wanted me to no-notice the first employer, which I refused to do.  As I pointed out to them, I would not do it to them either.

Considering this, can I work for a second job (part-time) while I am employed?

There are 168 hours in a week.  So as long as you arent working more than 148 hours at your first job, yes you have 20 hours to put into a second job.  Any more than that is entirely dependent on the specific circumstances and jobs/companies/contracts involved.

So my first employer knowing about it is an issue?

Sorry ppl, if this has been already been posted a lot. But couldnt find all the answers, also regarding the LLC. Will do better diligence next time...have been very busy this month...

avalon6 said:   FYI, if you work both jobs in the same day, the IRS lets you deduct commuting expenses at 57.5 cents/mile.
  Yeah but it is subject to the 2% limit meaning that he can only deduct the amount greater than 2% of his income.

With two jobs, good luck with that deduction.  -JepJepJep

FWF007 said:   So my first employer knowing about it is an issue?

Sorry ppl, if this has been already been posted a lot. But couldnt find all the answers, also regarding the LLC. Will do better diligence next time...have been very busy this month...

Only you can possibly know this.  Unless you want to tell us your employer and your position, and one of us can call and ask them for you...

Glitch99 said:   
FWF007 said:   So my first employer knowing about it is an issue?

Only you can possibly know this.  Unless you want to tell us your employer and your position, and one of us can call and ask them for you...

Some companies and bosses think they "own" you and some don't.  Technically if your contract doesn't address the point you can tell them.  In reality some people with put you at the top of the layoff list.

I had a M-F technical job, no overtime union.  I then had a 5 hour Saturday sales job that I let them know about.  My boss made a big deal about it and wanted an opinion from legal, then kept implying that I "should just quit."  I was selling pagers and cell phones, and my regular job was technical in the WIRELINE side of telecom.  I had nothing to do with the separate part of the company that was cellular.  My boss considered it a "strike" that I was working elsewhere.  Said it in as many words "you already have one strike against you."  

They released me the day before my "probationary" period ended so that I had no union protection.  (there were other reasons, I don't like union/management nitpickery -- taking a break in the middle of troubleshooting an issue just because its 10:05....)

--

Just decide for yourself, but if there is no conflict of interest I would not tell them.  I had to tell both of my cases, one because I was always going to be 15 minutes "late" because the time the job gets off and distance.  The other because there was a potential (though small) for conflict of interest -- boss refused to decide and wanted a legal opinion.  If I was doing it again I would not have told the boss at the union shop.

Unless there is a contract or schedule conflict reason its really none of their business.

It's your life, do what you think is best.

How long-term is this second job? Permanent? 2-years, 1-year, a few months, or a few weeks?

What I like about two jobs, in a long-term sense, are the synergies of benefits. Retirement contribution matching, I may hit my limit, but I can find some employer match and split between them. Life insurance, more is better, if you need more. Health insurance, if you don't have a high deductible plan, you have coordinate benefits between two if you have someone in the family that consumes quite a bit. Vacations, holidays, sick days... getting paid for them more, is better, too. Discounts, those are nice if it is for stuff that you already use.

Second job is at a startup in the bio-electronics side .... I am more hoping that this will be some really great learning I could get, but its a very early stage startup, so feels risky to quit my main job and take it up. Additionally, location of the startup is not ideal for me. I can only do remote with some travel as required.

If you work for a company with full time/benefit etc. ... i think you got to run it by your employer - if it is major involvement with another job.   That way you cover your end, and it is not unfair with your existing employer.    I don't think there is any issue with having same general skill.   It is more of an issue with whether you are working so many hours outside that you cannot possibly focus on your current job.  If it is part time .. that wont be an issue.  

Try to come up with how you'll explain your interest in other job - so that your current employer doesn't feel you'll leave them.  Perhaps say I have interest in helping others in this area - and just want to sort of "volunteer" to find a cure, want to learn this area - more like an education experience etc etc.   Something stated nicely so that your current employer doesn't feel threatened, or feel that you'll be too distracted from your current work. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017