Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I am Locutus of Borg.

skarydrunkguy (Aug. 26, 2016 @ 1:00a) |

You got outplayed by Riker.

qcumber98 (Aug. 26, 2016 @ 3:05a) |

No, but if I have an owie I always run to Mommy.

beatme (Aug. 26, 2016 @ 8:25a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

isn't welding a Body Shop kind of thing?

That was a good article, thanks for sharing - JepJepJep

I love how when I brought my new Highlander in to diagnose an issue, they'd be like, " Oh you're due for an oil change." And then my issue would not be solved.

recently I read an article on how the Farmers are getting screwed on these huge "Combines".........apparently the Farmer that paid tons of money to buy a Combine really does not own the combine in it's entirety. Because the modern combines are so technologically advanced with embedded software that does many beautiful things to increase the overall efficiency of the Farm BUT BUT the Farmers can no longer repair their Combines and such farm equipment. They MUST get these repaired at the factory dealers only.........BECAUSE the Farmer has zero rights on the software...all he is paying is for the privilege of leasing that software

And....all these farmers were duped into signing pages with this hidden / fine print language........
Farmers are raising voices that they have been repairing most of their farm equipment for ages ON THEIR FARMS....they are not used to taking their equipment somewhere else for repairs

Seems like mostly a rambling blog post. Whats the actual news? That guy didn't like the service at his dealer?

"In the end, they let us leave without paying the bill, mostly because I think DG made it pretty clear she'd come back that evening and burn the dealership to the ground whether or not anybody was still in the building. She had them a little frightened."

Probably artistic license and/or hyperbole, but: This is the kind of language that can quickly escalate to violence or legal action. I would also venture if DG had been a guy instead of a girl, it would increase the likelihood of the aforementioned violence or legal action. Just saying.

Thanks for wasting 5 minutes of my day, OP.

"Right to repair" is no longer an issue in the car & truck space.  From article linked below:

[W]hen Massachusetts legislators passed a law last year that automakers saw as a decent compromise, they decided to cut their losses.

Last week, two trade groups representing automakers -- the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the Association of Global Automakers -- announced an agreement with independent garages and retailers to make Massachusetts' law a national standard.

"A patchwork of 50 differing state bills, each with its own interpretations and compliance parameters, doesn't make sense," says Mike Stanton, president of the Association of Global Automakers. "This agreement provides the uniform clarity our industry needs."

Under the deal, all auto companies would make their diagnostic codes and repair data available in a common format by the 2018 model year, as the Massachusetts law requires. In return, lobbying groups for repair shops and parts retailers would refrain from pursuing state-by-state legislation.

More at:  http://www.autonews.com/article/20140125/RETAIL05/301279936/auto...

So if I was born in 1 hospital - I must go back to the same hospital for any "repairs"?

jerosen said:   Seems like mostly a rambling blog post. Whats the actual news? That guy didn't like the service at his dealer?
  Welcome to Yahoo News.

tuphat said:   "Right to repair" is no longer an issue in the car & truck space.  From article linked below:

[W]hen Massachusetts legislators passed a law last year that automakers saw as a decent compromise, they decided to cut their losses.

Last week, two trade groups representing automakers -- the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the Association of Global Automakers -- announced an agreement with independent garages and retailers to make Massachusetts' law a national standard.

"A patchwork of 50 differing state bills, each with its own interpretations and compliance parameters, doesn't make sense," says Mike Stanton, president of the Association of Global Automakers. "This agreement provides the uniform clarity our industry needs."

Under the deal, all auto companies would make their diagnostic codes and repair data available in a common format by the 2018 model year, as the Massachusetts law requires. In return, lobbying groups for repair shops and parts retailers would refrain from pursuing state-by-state legislation.

More at:  http://www.autonews.com/article/20140125/RETAIL05/301279936/auto...

That is good to know. I had not seen this article. Thanks for letting us know. I know this was becoming a problem for many in the repair business and if you hadn't encountered this issue it seems like a worthless point, but if you have it can be frustrating.

My experience here in middle earth (center of U.S.) once the automotive technicians become proficient they leave an open a garage. Which leaves only those that are learning or.....

FaxMac said:   So if I was born in 1 hospital - I must go back to the same hospital for any "repairs"?
Yes, if your sentience level is equivalent to that of a motor vehicle.

jayK said:   
FaxMac said:   So if I was born in 1 hospital - I must go back to the same hospital for any "repairs"?

aren't most new borns?

Bad analogy.  The dealer lobbies actually have it where the manufacturer is not allowed to sell directly or provide repairs directly.  Dealers are not part of the manufacturer where the baby is born, but third party for-profit entities.  You're specifically NOT allowed to go back to the same hospital.

So a closer analogy is you were born in 1 hospital, but legally you are required to be shipped (usually to another state entirely)  to a 3rd party for-profit urgent care ER to be paid for and picked up by your parents.  They even get to pay line items for "advertising costs" to advertise the facility and of course shipping costs plus profit margin and documentation fees.   A hospital would provide unfair competition, the required middle-man ensures the consumer gets the best value and knows what features they're comparing.  And then, for repairs you don't get to go back to a doctor or hospital, but are only allowed to go to go to the doctor asking specifically about a pharmaceutical company's drug you saw an ad on TV for, because doctors with medical training having free reign to advise the course of action for treatment would be unfair competition and kill off the middle-man industry which is at the heart of American Values.

*Fine, it's still a bad analogy... but anyways .  At least it's more convoluted to approximate the actual problems with the dealer lobbies and current legislation.  Maybe a better analogy is if when you buy an Apple laptop or phone you are not allowed to buy from Apple directly, and you aren't allowed to purchase Apple care or have them repair it -- Instead the law requires you to go to one of those third party "repair shops" in the mall.

this is a reposted Road & Track blog post from Jack Baruth (editor of The Truth about Cars, a rather cynical auto news blog) not an news report. it isn't even about right to repair, it's about dealers being incompetent to fix things more complicated than swapping a broken part. (technician training, and lack there of, is a big issue in the industry)  

Oh good.  I was concerned about terrorists formulating the next big one, besides all the smaller ones, global warming, Iran getting nuclear weapons, the next president, San Andreas fäult being 'all wound up and reädy to go, eventually the sun dying, ect..  If the reason we are screwed in this world is that only dealers can repair new cars, I feel a lot better.

So what can be considered to be the cutoff year to be a "new" car?

ablang said:   So what can be considered to be the cutoff year to be a "new" car?
  There isn't, that's why the phrase "brand new" exists.

jayK said:   

I am Locutus of Borg.

skarydrunkguy said:   
jayK said:   

I am Locutus of Borg.

You got outplayed by Riker.

No, but if I have an owie I always run to Mommy.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017