Southwest account emptied by hacker

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I recently got a couple of emails with no senders email address. It was from the domain maritz.com and both were for 10 Amazon GCs, $50 each - so $1000 total between the two orders.
The email had the shipping address and order number. The address is in Philadelphia - not one that is associated with me or anyone I know.
I tracked down Maritz.com and turns out they are the backend for AwardHQ.com. From there I tracked it down to this being a Rapid Rewards redemption.

The AwardsHQ person is trying to get my points back - but in the meantime, looks like the hacker also changed the email address on record as I can't log in.
So I am on phone with SW now trying to get my account access back - I had to provide the zip code from the shipping address in the email to get through the automated phone tree!

This is both a head-up to check your SW points and also a question - where else should I report this address?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Got back access to account. Points still out.
After getting access, saw that the account profile had a new phone number as well.
Reported all of this to Philly police website.

People at Flyertalk.com would appreciate the heads up

On a related note: got an email this morning from account-alert@Amazon.com stating that an "unauthorized party may have accessed your account".  It's a legitimate email, so I changed my password, but I was unable to discern what the unauthorized person ordered.  Probably not related to your hack, but I've never gotten an email like this from Amazon.

So, did you get the GCs by email, or were they snail mailed somewhere?
Even if you get the snail mail address, it might not be the scammer, just a random address where nobody is home when the delivery happens.

holla said:   On a related note: got an email this morning from account-alert@Amazon. com stating that an "unauthorized party may have accessed your account".  It's a legitimate email, so I changed my password, but I was unable to discern what the unauthorized person ordered. 

If you suspect an order was placed, check your archived orders, which is separate from your order history.  Hackers will place an order then archive it in an attempt to hide the purchase.  Also check ALL your account information; they may have added an alternate/secondary email address or phone number that will let them re-gain access to your account later on.  Turning on 2-factor authentication may be a good idea too, rather than just changing your password.

taxmantoo said:   So, did you get the GCs by email, or were they snail mailed somewhere?
Even if you get the snail mail address, it might not be the scammer, just a random address where nobody is home when the delivery happens.

From the email, it looked like physical GCs being shipped to the PA address. 
I looked up the address on Google street-view and it looked abandoned. 
I am planning to follow up with the local Philly police on phone to see what they found.

This is a good reminder to all to do a health check of our online security. Thanks, OP, and good luck getting your points back!

>>>>> Turning on 2-factor authentication may be a good idea too, rather than just changing your password.

This ^^^^

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016