• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
So, I just now taken renewed interest into my 401k investment options offered by my company's 401k plan. I also just finished watching Last Week Tonight's episode on retirement.Choosing the right 401k investment option is a daunting task, and while I will be doing my own research I figured I would also ask for some help and guidance.
The link below is the google sheets of the investment options. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DLb-uQ0JKo9nnS5XYB1V333041n40cV3pFLDfIJxano/edit?usp=sharing
Currently I am invested in:
Oppenheimer Developing Markets R
Alger Cap App Institutional R
Oppenheimer Real Estate R
I am 28, single, no kids and financially stable. Given my age, I am not adverse to investing on risker options. 

I've read that 12B-1Fees and fees averaging 1% or more are read flags... that reflects most of the offering I am being given =/. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Those fees are hideous.

The two index funds are only 0.15%, which is not as hideous.

edit:I missed the total fees column, was corrected below.  0.58% is lowest.  It's still worth it generally if there's a match or if you've already maxed your IRA.

Bend3r said:   The two index funds are only 0.15%, which is not as hideous.
  Total cost of the lowest cost fund is 0.58%, or 0.53% more than what Vanguard would charge for the same fund.

I'd put 100% of my money in the HIMCO VIT Index Fund.

It basically tracks the S&P500, and it wouldn't be a bad fund to on if you only owned one mutual fund.

I'd make contributions in this plan up to the full match, then max out a Roth IRA, and then invest in:

A) Contribute to the 401k again if I was in the 25%+ federal tax bracket, or
B) A cash account at Vanguard (invested in index mutual funds or index ETFs) if you're in a bracket less than 25%.

Remember: you can't win if you don't play. Contributing to your 401k is 90%; choosing the right fund is 10%.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016