1031 exchange question

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Have a prop in VA in my name, put for sale and have a contract.
Also have a purchase contract in Tx in my spouse name.  Both investment props.

1) Can a prop in my name can be exchanged to a prop being bought in my spouse name?
2) Any suggestion of good 1031 mediators
3) Have just 3 days between sale and purchase settlement dates as per respective contracts.  Any issues?

FYI - we do file joint.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

anyone?

Don't know, but have you google'd?

1. https://firstexchange.com/SameTaxpayerRuleAddingSpouse 
2. I don't know what you mean by this - why do you need a mediator?
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Revenue_Code_section_1031 "It also states that the property to be exchanged must be identified within 45 days, and received within 180 days."

You don't have to do anything within 3 days of selling the old place. Within 45 days you need to identify candidate properties to invest in, and you need to complete the purchase within 6 months.

cheezedawg said:   You don't have to do anything within 3 days of selling the old place. Within 45 days you need to identify candidate properties to invest in, and you need to complete the purchase within 6 months.
  Cheeze,  you are right we will have 45 days.  But my situation is i already have a purchase contract with settlement date 3 days after sale transaction settlement date.

VAIndigo said:   
cheezedawg said:   You don't have to do anything within 3 days of selling the old place. Within 45 days you need to identify candidate properties to invest in, and you need to complete the purchase within 6 months.
  Cheeze,  you are right we will have 45 days.  But my situation is i already have a purchase contract with settlement date 3 days after sale transaction settlement date.

3 < 45. What am I missing?

If she's not on the Virginia property, I don't think you'll be allowed to buy it under her.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017