• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
State Farm Bank has announced they are ending support for mint.com as of September 16.  That means I'm ending my support for State Farm Bank, after well over 10 years there.  

State Farm offers one feature that I will really miss.   At State Farm I can view 30 days of scheduled (upcoming) transactions directly in my check register and shows me the balance after each future payment or transfer (specifically, "All transactions for the last 30 days, plus scheduled transactions").   Popular banks such as Ally do not have this feature.  These other banks show upcoming transactions on a separate page and they include the total amount for the next 30 days, but you cannot view upcoming transactions against the balance from present-day forward.  It makes direct-deposit-to-bills-paid (i.e., hand-to-mouth) money management more difficult.  

I found another bank that uses the same interface as State Farm, vnb.com, and they have a demo here (go to Account Activity and then Show Scheduled Transactions).  VNB is not under consideration because they do not offer universal ATM rebates and require minimum balances.  

Does anyone know of an online bank with this feature, competitive rates and fees, and that also supports mint.com?

I believe the State Farm interface came from S1 Corporation, which was acquired by ACI.  Back in 1996, I got accustomed to this online register as one of the early customers at Security First Network Bank, and I kept that account through several bank ownership changes until they switched to different software and the scheduled transaction view went away.  S1 was originally the technology arm of Security First Network Bank.   

State Farm cited security issues in explaining their new policy to block "personal finance managers" such as mint.com, but no hurry--they promised users a month before cutting off the service. I suspect there are other issues. State Farm's login interface has been undergoing almost continuous change for year, and it's down more frequently than other banks.  They broke the mint interface a number of times over this period.  Mint.com users generate much more frequent update requests than other customers, and that might have been giving the State Farm IT people heartburn.  It's also possible that State Farm could be getting ready to roll out its own personal finance aggregation customer software.  With almost 9 years of history in mint, I'm loath to change, especially since Mint has refined its product substantially.  

As for security, I understand as a mint.com customer I've handed over my bank credentials to a single third party in an age where data breaches are increasingly common.  Now I do nearly all of my bank and credit card monitoring via mint without having to enter my real account credentials every time.  That lowers my risk of a keylogger or other malware getting the read-write keys to my banks.  If a hacker captures my mint credentials, they can have fun looking at my balances and bank names but not anything more.  I consider having Mint keep my credentials a net gain over continually using them myself on my personal machine and network.  A rogue employee at mint could find a way to get into my banks, but I consider that risk smaller than using my real credentials over and over, day after day,  on what seem to be easily compromised personal devices.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

wistlo said:   State Farm Bank has announced they are ending support for mint.com as of September 16.  That means I'm ending my support for State Farm Bank, after well over 10 years there.  

State Farm offers one feature that I will really miss.   At State Farm I can view 30 days of scheduled (upcoming) transactions directly in my check register and shows me the balance after each future payment or transfer (specifically, "All transactions for the last 30 days, plus scheduled transactions").   Popular banks such as Ally do not have this feature.  These other banks show upcoming transactions on a separate page and they include the total amount for the next 30 days, but you cannot view upcoming transactions against the balance from present-day forward.  It makes direct-deposit-to-bills-paid (i.e., hand-to-mouth) money management more difficult.  

I found another bank that uses the same interface as State Farm, vnb.com, and they have a demo here (go to Account Activity and then Show Scheduled Transactions).  VNB is not under consideration because they do not offer universal ATM rebates and require minimum balances.  

Does anyone know of an online bank with this feature, competitive rates and fees, and that also supports mint.com?

I believe the State Farm interface came from S1 Corporation, which was acquired by ACI.  Back in 1996, I got accustomed to this online register as one of the early customers at Security First Network Bank, and I kept that account through several bank ownership changes until they switched to different software and the scheduled transaction view went away.  S1 was originally the technology arm of Security First Network Bank.   

State Farm cited security issues in explaining their new policy to block "personal finance managers" such as mint.com, but no hurry--they promised users a month before cutting off the service. I suspect there are other issues. State Farm's login interface has been undergoing almost continuous change for year, and it's down more frequently than other banks.  They broke the mint interface a number of times over this period.  Mint.com users generate much more frequent update requests than other customers, and that might have been giving the State Farm IT people heartburn.  It's also possible that State Farm could be getting ready to roll out its own personal finance aggregation customer software.  With almost 9 years of history in mint, I'm loath to change, especially since Mint has refined its product substantially.  

As for security, I understand as a mint.com customer I've handed over my bank credentials to a single third party in an age where data breaches are increasingly common.  Now I do nearly all of my bank and credit card monitoring via mint without having to enter my real account credentials every time.  That lowers my risk of a keylogger or other malware getting the read-write keys to my banks.  If a hacker captures my mint credentials, they can have fun looking at my balances and bank names but not anything more.  I consider having Mint keep my credentials a net gain over continually using them myself on my personal machine and network.  A rogue employee at mint could find a way to get into my banks, but I consider that risk smaller than using my real credentials over and over, day after day,  on what seem to be easily compromised personal devices.  

All they need to do is create a login token (aka API key) that is read only. They choose not to do so.

Looks like some of you spend too much time obsessing over your bank balance. My model is to have everybody withdraw from my TD account which is a margin account. I have a rough idea of the cash in my account - but I couldn't tell you the exact balannce since the dividends are coming in and funds are getting withdrawn all the time. But the great thing is that none of my checks/withdrawals will bounce. I don't fret about the interest on $5K-$10K amounts - TD gives me enough account bonuses for new money coming in that the interest at the current pitiful 1%ish rate is not all that relevant versus the simplification of managing expenses.

Is this really a big deal? I have all my financial info (multiple checking/savings accounts, investment accounts) in an Excel spreadsheet with multiple worksheets. It's not really that large or complicated, but I can tell the date/price of every lot I've bought/sold, the past and future balance of cash accounts, etc. I enter upcoming payments for at least the next month and I can easily see how much my balance is or will be at any particular bank. Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems very easy to do yourself w/o giving signin info to anyone else.

wistlo said: Does anyone know of an online bank with this feature, competitive rates and fees, and that also supports mint.com?

USAA.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017