• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I did a search and didn't find a recent general discussion thread on the Citi Double Cash card or my specific issue, so I made a new post.  If I missed something, feel free to lock this.

Has anyone else been using the Citi Double Cash's Price Rewind feature?

I've had this card since May and have yet to successfully sign on to the website that allows you to supposedly track purchases for lower prices:

https://www.citipricerewind.com/

I was able to successfully register my card, but whenever I try to sign on I receive this error message:

SIGN ON ISSUE

We are unable to sign you on at this time. Please call 800-950-5114 (TTY: 1-800-325-2865) for further assistance.

I contacted customer service a couple times about the issue but both times received a generic "the issue should be resolved in 24 hours" reply.

There is also an option to manually send in a lower price:

https://www.citipricerewind.com/faq#faq14

I have done this a few times and each time received an automated response saying "You can expect to hear back from us within 21 days after we receive all requested information."

In each case, I never heard back after 21 days, but when I called in, they were able to find my submission and approve it, and then I received my check.

The price rewind feature is a very nice benefit in theory, as it allows me to buy things at retail stores without worrying about the price differential or the store's own price match policies.  When used in conjunction with www.camelcamelcamel.com, it also allows me to take advantage of Amazon's notorious tendency to offer sudden, large, short-term price drops.

The problem is that the approval process seems to be very cumbersome, and the automatic price rewind feature doesn't seem to work at all.  My guess is that the manual submissions are not being processed in a timely manner because Citi is being inundated with them, which raises the issue of whether or not they will even continue to offer it.

What has your experience been with the price rewind feature?  Have you been able to log into the price rewind website and use the automated tracking feature?  If so, how well does it work?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I use price rewind ALL the time. I always search for a better price on my own though. I'd rather just find a better deal... (more)

shandalee (Oct. 18, 2016 @ 1:47p) |

Been using this for a few months and here's my summary:

1) Submit your items online right when you purchase them so the a... (more)

EradicateSpam (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 8:28a) |

I successfully price reqinded a LG 65B6P bought in-store at Microcenter for $2,999 to East Coast TVs (online grey market... (more)

kwest (Nov. 04, 2016 @ 9:47a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Shouldn't have to sign in directly.  I just log in to the normal Citi site and access it from there.  I've tried it a few times, but haven't ever had it find a hit where the item being monitored was actually less expensive in their time frame.

rated:
I have also recently started to use price rewind. When you send it a manual claim it does mention that it's a 3 week wait. Discover might be a better alternative, my experience hasn't been great with Citi so far since they haven't been responsive. 

rated:
I've done the manual claim before and it worked just like Discover except I think you get a statement credit instead of a check

rated:
avalon6 said:   I've done the manual claim before and it worked just like Discover except I think you get a statement credit instead of a check

The form has a checkbox that allows you to specify statement credit vs paper check.  I have always selected paper check because a statement credit will count against the 2% cashback for that billing cycle (probably a small amount though).  Maybe they process claims faster if you select statement credit?

rated:
I called them up once for an item which was selling at a lower price. They asked a few questions and the credit showed up. Can't complain - seemed to work. But I have only used it once.

rated:
i used it for the first time for a purchase made at the beginning of july, and it just ended aug 31. both items are now showing lower prices, and it says they are both in processing. i did not submit any ads or anything, it'll be nice to get a bit of money back, assuming it goes through when it's finished processing.

rated:
I've done a number of rewinds since getting the card and the process is pretty easy.
There tend to be a lot of duplicates when you search for an item so I usually add rewinds for all of them. Once they get near the end of the 60 days I'll delete all but the one with the lowest price found. I did forget to do this once and it seems someone manually reviews all your rewinds before issuing a credit because I only got credit for the lowest price, no duplicates.
A few times I found a lower price on either Amzn or BB websites and I just printed those web pages so it had the URL/date in the footer and the lower price shown. I then submitted a manual claim form and the printed web page via fax within a day or two of finding them. I got the credit for those pretty quick and if there was an even lower price found automatically I got the difference at the end of the 60 days.

One thing I'm not sure about is how claims for quantity items are handled. Online you can only enter the price for one of the item and there's nowhere to indicate you bought 6 at once. I have one like this going now so I'll see how it turns out (maybe they'll see the quantity shown on the uploaded receipt) or if I have to call them.

rated:
Tresh said:   i used it for the first time for a purchase made at the beginning of july, and it just ended aug 31. both items are now showing lower prices, and it says they are both in processing. i did not submit any ads or anything, it'll be nice to get a bit of money back, assuming it goes through when it's finished processing.

How did you get to the price rewind page?  Did you use https://www.citipricerewind.com ?

rated:
plastrd said:   A few times I found a lower price on either Amzn or BB websites and I just printed those web pages so it had the URL/date in the footer and the lower price shown. I then submitted a manual claim form and the printed web page via fax within a day or two of finding them. I got the credit for those pretty quick and if there was an even lower price found automatically I got the difference at the end of the 60 days.

One thing I'm not sure about is how claims for quantity items are handled. Online you can only enter the price for one of the item and there's nowhere to indicate you bought 6 at once. I have one like this going now so I'll see how it turns out (maybe they'll see the quantity shown on the uploaded receipt) or if I have to call them.

So you received a credit within a few days for a manual submission via fax?  Wow, that's a much faster response than I've had via email.

Regarding your quantity items question: my first price rewind request was actually for two pairs of identical headphones.  The single submission was split into two separate claim ID numbers.  I received a confirmation email for both, and two separate Checks In The Mail

rated:
I've had multiple issues trying to sign in to different citi websites. Trying clearning your cookies, if that doesn't work try a private browswing window, if that does't work try another browser like IE.

rated:
Yeah, having the same issues.

rated:
AverageGuy09 said:   Shouldn't have to sign in directly.  I just log in to the normal Citi site and access it from there.  I've tried it a few times, but haven't ever had it find a hit where the item being monitored was actually less expensive in their time frame.

Could you share exactly what links you're following to access price rewind?

I signed in here: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action

Then once logged in I clicked the "Card Benefits" link at the top of the page.  This took me to another page (https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/) with its own "Sign On" button.  When I click it, I get prompted to enter my Citi L/P again, and then the card benefits page just reloads (https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/) with the same sign on button.  If I click on it, the process repeats.

If I instead click the Arrow next to "Shopping Benefits" on the left side of the page, it expands to a list containing "Citi Price Rewind".  If I click that link, the page reloads but I get a popup with the same error as in my OP.

rated:
I am having issues.

Price they found was much lower. Refund processed tor over a month, finally called and got it 10 days later.

Was told that statement credits do NOT count against cashback/points. I will monitor.

I was told to send it matches I found manually anytime. Wrong, they now say they stop looking for matches so wait until 60 day period ends.

They miss a lot of matches, and database is a mess. I may list for all matches.

Receipts uploaded are not visible to them if you do a manual match. Manual matches have to be emailed, faxed, or mailed, cannot be uploaded. Multiples have to be setup individually, which is absurd. Way too much work, they say system improvements coming.

rated:
I am using Firefox on a Mac
I sign on here: https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?userType=BB
I have two citi cards so i pick the one I made the purchase on then click "use this card"
I search for the item
Click "Track this item"
fill out the price, date of purchase, where i bought it, and how i want the refund
If i'm pretty sure it will hit then i upload the receipt otherwise i just wait and do that later
Click Start price rewind

I just checked it and it works for me.

I used it last year at Christmas time. Bought a trampoline from Amazon. I know I overpaid because i saw it for $30 cheaper for a few weeks before i bought it but I waited too long. Right after chirstmas the price dropped again. I was able to get it for my kid for the higher price and then I got a statement credit in Feb for the $30 after the price dropped. Pretty awesome.

I also used it for a tool kit and it ended up giving me a refund of something like $.60

I tried to use it again for a few other items and it never hit but I never really monitored it either.

I'm pretty confident that if I but something in the store because its convenient or I need it right at that moment and can't wait for a sale, but Amazon has it cheaper, that pricerewind will give me the difference even if I have to wait a few months.

rated:
I used Citi's price rewind twice last year.  I followed Citi's website instructions and about 5 weeks later received the price difference on my purchase as a credit to my statement.

rated:
releasefoobar said:   I am using Firefox on a Mac
I sign on here: https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?userType=BB 
I have two citi cards so i pick the one I made the purchase on then click "use this card"
I search for the item
Click "Track this item"
fill out the price, date of purchase, where i bought it, and how i want the refund
If i'm pretty sure it will hit then i upload the receipt otherwise i just wait and do that later
Click Start price rewind

I just checked it and it works for me.

I used it last year at Christmas time. Bought a trampoline from Amazon. I know I overpaid because i saw it for $30 cheaper for a few weeks before i bought it but I waited too long. Right after chirstmas the price dropped again. I was able to get it for my kid for the higher price and then I got a statement credit in Feb for the $30 after the price dropped. Pretty awesome.

I also used it for a tool kit and it ended up giving me a refund of something like $.60

I tried to use it again for a few other items and it never hit but I never really monitored it either.

I'm pretty confident that if I but something in the store because its convenient or I need it right at that moment and can't wait for a sale, but Amazon has it cheaper, that pricerewind will give me the difference even if I have to wait a few months.

When I sign in at that link (https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?userType=BB), it just takes me to another page with another "Sign On" button.  If I click that button, it just takes me back to the page you linked to (https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?userType=BB) and the process repeats.

rated:
I did a price rewind a couple months ago. It took several calls, and lots of hand holding, but I eventually got my refund. If they tell you 2 weeks, plan on 4-5.

Also, lately Citi is very hard to get on the phone. They are always experiencing high call volumes, possily due to the Costco debacle. Sometimes after the recorded message telling you to call back they even just hang up. Unacceptable in my eyes for a credit card company. I have since swapped another 2% cb card as my main credit card, instead of using this Citi card. If/when Citi improved their customer service, maybe I will change back.

rated:
Clocks said:   I did a price rewind a couple months ago. It took several calls, and lots of hand holding, but I eventually got my refund. If they tell you 2 weeks, plan on 4-5.

Also, lately Citi is very hard to get on the phone. They are always experiencing high call volumes, possily due to the Costco debacle. Sometimes after the recorded message telling you to call back they even just hang up. Unacceptable in my eyes for a credit card company. I have since swapped another 2% cb card as my main credit card, instead of using this Citi card. If/when Citi improved their customer service, maybe I will change back.

Not very relevant for price rewind.  It's handled by a third party insurance company.  It has a different phone number clearly called out on the website.  Calling the number on the back of your card will of course result in waiting to be transferred, but that's through no fault of citi if someone can't read or follow directions....

I also used Price Rewind a couple of months ago for $80.  It was pretty painless.   Added the purchase to the online and it didn't show the lower price yet a few days later, so I submitted the form (which was really simple, not sure where "hand-holding" would even be possible.  I guess someone could say "Enter your name where it says 'Name'.  Enter the item's price where it says 'price'.  Etc..... But there was no rocket science to be learned.).  They approved the form a week or two later.  It spells out the way it works pretty clearly on the website.  Takes ~90 days by default and then after that it will go to approval based on automated price matching.  If you submit the form, it's over once they approve the form.

Now, I since have returned the item at around ~90 days and bought something else to replace it.  I don't see a place to inform them to cancel and pull back the credit.  I think I would be opening a can of worms if I called in asking them to pull the credit back from me, so leaving it alone is probably the best course of action.

rated:
Yeah something is up with their system. Logged into my regular account (online.citi.com), clicked on the price rewind link, it took me to the rewind link, already showing an error...

rated:
I've gotten ~$41 so far from this feature (Had the card since February). I only ever do it for Amazon or other online orders because I can't be bothered to hold on to my receipts for anything else. I did it one time using the manual claim system for an item they didn't have in their database for the online interface. It was a bit annoying.

Overall it's a pretty nice feature to have. When I can do it with an item I ordered online through their automated system it's a really convenient and easy way to earn an extra couple of bucks. I think it's too much hassle if you ever need to do a manual claim, unless you know for sure you'll make hundreds from such a claim.

Never had any issues logging on.

rated:
I think you have to activate rewind on the card somehow.  I don't remember how to do that.  maybe that part of the website is broke.

rated:
hudson4351 said:   So you received a credit within a few days for a manual submission via fax?  Wow, that's a much faster response than I've had via email.

Email submission wasn't an option for the rewinds I submitted it was either fax or postal mail. I just went to the site now and I see they have a new claim form with a completely different fax number and mailing address and it now has an email submission on it.

The old system was handled by Triton Insurance Company and now it looks like maybe Citi is handling it themselves, that might explain the difference in processing time. My last manual claim was in April of this year and the old claim form was in effect. Their benefits guide says the current terms of use went into effect in May so that's probably when they switched benefit providers. 
Here's a copy of the old claim form for reference: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzNJNXRdPhXHSXJyQkwzMVA3Z2M

rated:
I submitted a rewind via e-mail about a month ago. I waited 12 business days then called. They said it was still in progress, but as soon as I hung up I got an e-mail saying it was being processed. Prior to that, I had just received an auto-reply to my documents email.

FYI, I had an alternator go out on a minivan. Local stealer wanted $550 for just the part. I knew it was cheaper elsewhere, but the van was already there, and not able to drive it the way it was. I got back right at $225, the dealer one town over had the same part for much cheaper.

rated:
Looked up history of my price rewind to add the data point:

I submitted a filled in PDF form that was printed/signed/scanned through email on May 24th (to mybenefits@cardbenefitscommunications.com), along with cell phone photo of receipt and PDF print of the website with the lower price (major retailer, paid $330, sale price of $249.99, $80.01 difference).
Received confirmation of receipt of documents that same day (May 24th, in an email from "Virginia Surety Company" (Only email that mentions non-citi, but clearly indicates the insurance company handles the actual claim)
May 27th- "Citi" email saying the request is in progress
June 10th- "Citi" email saying the "Citi Price Rewind refund is here!" (wasn't actually in my account yet though)
June 12th- another of the same email saying the "your Citi Price Rewind refund is here!"
June 13th- $80.01 credit showed up on my credit card account

I'd guess they got the funds/approval from the insurance co on or before june 10th and then it was just stuck in Citi's systems. Seemed like a pretty reasonable time-frame for 3 weeks total. Strangely they entered the item in category "automotive accessories" when it was a Garmin Watch.

rated:
Their database is far from perfect.

The benefit is better in theory than in our ability to actually get it from them.

rated:
FW10001 said:   Their database is far from perfect.

The benefit is better in theory than in our ability to actually get it from them.

They don't require the price to be in their database to match the price.  It's a pretty good benefit even without the "automatic"/rewind feature.  Really, for me the rewind feature is the nonsense/useless process for me.  I am not going to enter every purchase I make into their website.  That would be time consuming and they don't need that data provided to them (Yes, I know, some merchants provide item-level data already, but not all...)  Personally, I'm not even going to enter any unless I know there's a use for it on a particular item, it would be a waste of time to scan receipts and manually search/match each item when it won't be useful that often except when I'm intentionally price-matching.

rated:
Since Citibank changed benefit providers mid-May, I've submitted 20 Price Rewinds & got back $200. On an average, it takes 3 weeks after the PR closes to recv the credit to my acct. (I always opt for the stmt credit - the credit posts within 2 days of the "Congats" email).

What I dislike is the Citi PR database & the poor service from their benefits provider. The Citi benefits provider is Virginia Surety - they took over Citi benefits administration mid-May. VS admits to being understaffed, but accord to a supv, more employees have been recently hired.

One of my PR was an Amzn Tap. In the PR database, 2 Amzn Tap are shown - exact same descp for both. I went ahead & started a PR for BOTH Taps in the PR database. After the 60 days passed, 1 Price Rewind came back with $50 (PC Richards had the low price) and the other PR was ZERO. My suggestion is to start a PR for ALL of the descriptions for your purchase shown in their database. If you do not do this, you have a 50% chance of getting nothing (not getting any Price Rewind). As stated above, at the end of the 60-day search period, you can cancel those PR that do not provide a reward benefit (this is what I do).

I tried contacting Citi Cust Svc regarding problems with their Price Rewind database, but they showed no interest. They advised that I write the Citi Office of the President in South Dakota. I have done this outlining some of the problems with their PR database (PR database is a Citi product with Virginia Surety administering the Citi credit card benefit). No reply yet.

I'm retired so I have the time to do this.

rated:
Trying this out with a couple of birthday gifts from a local toy store. I found one for about 20% cheaper online and manually submitted the request... Will report back with updates

rated:
The online claim system seems to work well, I got several claims paid in about a week after the final tracking date. However the manual claim process takes weeks to process and has been difficult to navigate. 

rated:
my rewinds finished at the end of august, i got the check (~$21) on the first item a few days ago and just got email notification that the second check (~$54) is being sent. i did not submit any lower prices manually.

rated:
I submitted a Price Rewind request today (online) and it already shows a lower price has been found. What if that lower price is a short-term sale and by the end of the 60 days that merchant has raised their price again? Would I still get the credit? or does the lower price have to be in effect at the end of the 60 day timeframe?

rated:
AZpennypincher said:   I submitted a Price Rewind request today (online) and it already shows a lower price has been found. What if that lower price is a short-term sale and by the end of the 60 days that merchant has raised their price again? Would I still get the credit? or does the lower price have to be in effect at the end of the 60 day timeframe?
  You would get the lowest price that comes up within the 60 days. It doesnt have to be in effect after the 60 days.

rated:
Thanks for starting this thread. I've never used rewind but see how it could be useful. I just bought some heavy car parts online and the lowest per item cost didn't include free shipping. It seems that I could have bought from a more expensive, or even a local vendor that offered free shipping and then done a rewind to get the lowest price.

rated:
I recently received another email letting me know that a manual submission I had made 6 weeks ago had been approved. One week later I received the check in the mail. The manual system seems to work, but slowly. I'm wondering if they will continue to offer this benefit in the future, given the tediousness of reviewing manual claim forms and large potential payouts. As anyone who tracks prices on camelcamelcamel knows, you can potentially save tens or even hundreds of dollars on medium or large purchases given a 60 day window and the wild price swings/sales that Amazon seems to use.

rated:
nameunknown said:   Thanks for starting this thread. I've never used rewind but see how it could be useful. I just bought some heavy car parts online and the lowest per item cost didn't include free shipping. It seems that I could have bought from a more expensive, or even a local vendor that offered free shipping and then done a rewind to get the lowest price.
I had thought car parts were excluded,  but reading the guide it says it excludes "Boats, cars, aircraft, or any other motorized land, air or water vehicles and their original equipment. Tires are covered."  Does it mean parts are excluded as "original equipment" vs a new car stereo that would be aftermarket equipment, or just that you can't use it on a car?

rated:
hudson4351 said:   I recently received another email letting me know that a manual submission I had made 6 weeks ago had been approved. One week later I received the check in the mail. The manual system seems to work, but slowly.
  Isn't the automatic system much slower than that?  Isn't it 60 days before they stop "searching" for the lower price?
That's already 9 weeks before adding any possible time for the credit to occur, or already several weeks longer than the 7 weeks "slow" manual process.

rated:
juliox said:   
nameunknown said:   Thanks for starting this thread. I've never used rewind but see how it could be useful. I just bought some heavy car parts online and the lowest per item cost didn't include free shipping. It seems that I could have bought from a more expensive, or even a local vendor that offered free shipping and then done a rewind to get the lowest price.
I had thought car parts were excluded,  but reading the guide it says it excludes "Boats, cars, aircraft, or any other motorized land, air or water vehicles and their original equipment. Tires are covered."  Does it mean parts are excluded as "original equipment" vs a new car stereo that would be aftermarket equipment, or just that you can't use it on a car?

I just got $60 back on car parts.  Had work done and parts provided at independent shop.  Of course they marked up the parts but put the part numbers on the bill.  So I went to Rock Auto and searched for the numbers and made screen shots.  The $20 part came back at $15 and $5 was credited with no hassle.  The $110 part came back at $55 and they made me send a copy of the statement, probably so they could match the total on the invoice to the line charge on the statement.  After that, the $55 credit showed up in a couple days.

Somebody above mentioned success on an alternator, too

rated:
I use price rewind ALL the time. I always search for a better price on my own though. I'd rather just find a better deal on some off-the-wall website, fill out the form, send the receipt and ad in and be done with it instead of waiting the 60 days in hopes Citi will find the lower price (chances are, they won't). We've gotten $243 back so far in three months ... just from piddly stuff. I'm telling you, it ALL adds up. I've submitted rewinds for less than $2 price difference before. My husband is an independent truck driver and is constantly buying overpriced truck parts on the road. When something breaks, he obviously doesn't have time to go around looking for the best deal. He just buys what he needs, takes a picture of his receipt, emails it to me, I find the better price, and email the forms in. I just did four last night ... and two of them already went through this morning. I've never had an issue with Citi and I've never waited longer than a week for any of the money to hit our account. We always get the statement credit. I just make it a weekly routine to go through the week's receipts and see what I could potentially find cheaper. It has worked out great for us. By far, one of the best credit card perks ever!

Skipping 2 Messages...
rated:
I successfully price reqinded a LG 65B6P bought in-store at Microcenter for $2,999 to East Coast TVs (online grey market seller of questionable reputation) who had it for $2,279. Citi gave me the $500 refund (max benefit per item).

I submitted forms directly via email, called 2 weeks later to verify they had received docs, then got the refund about 2 weeks later.

This was on a Citi Premier, though I assume the benefit provider is the same across all Citi cards that offer price rewind.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016