Merrill Edge account question

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Please see attached image:
I have a Merrill Edge account that shows a total value of $23.88 but Margin Balance is $0.88. I am confused about this difference. My question is how much can I move out of this account to leave only $1 or less in the account?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you want to close the account, call ML and ask for a check for $23.88 and then close it. This is a question?

DTASFAB said:   If you want to close the account, call ML and ask for a check for $23.88 and then close it. This is a question?
  This is a brokerage account (not a simple bank account. Look at the margin!). If he closes, he will then be charged $50-$75 for full closure.

GoldenSacks said:   
DTASFAB said:   If you want to close the account, call ML and ask for a check for $23.88 and then close it. This is a question?
  This is a brokerage account (not a simple bank account. Look at the margin!). If he closes, he will then be charged $50-$75 for full closure.

So the best solution is to withdraw the $23.88 and leave the account open?  This country is so stupid.

i had something similar but without a margin.  if its at 0 they will not charge a fee unless you told them to close it when you withdraw the $.  withdraw $23 this will leave you with a balance of .88 and a margin balance of .88.  after its withdrawn call ml and tell them you want to pay ypur margin and to transfer the .88.  that will leave you at 0.  I waited 3 months after having a 0 balance before i messaged them saying the account has  0 balance please close.  i was not charged a fee.  since you have a margin balance, after you get that to 0, i would contact ml and tell them you dont want the account to have margin capability.
after that is done and some time passes with a 0 balance, then send them an email or call them to close.  they wont charge a fee, and if they tell you there is a closure fee, then tell them not to close it but the account will not be used and have a $0 balance.

A lot of times they charge the fee when doing an ACAT transfer to close not for a $0 balance

Be careful with this as ML may charge a "low balance fee" of $7 per month. I have an ML account worth around $900 from a former employer's stock plan, and they started taking the low balance fee so I am going through the process of selling the securities (which of course is a pain in the butt involving a customer form, W-9, new account form, etc.). I guess they don't really want their clients' ex-employees hanging around.  It does appear they stopped taking the low balance fee when I created my ML Edge account, but I don't know why or if it will resume.

As to the margin question, it's hard to tell what's going on because they don't use normal terminology for a margin account.  My margin accounts report gross securities value, negative cash balance (what I owe on margin), and equity with loan (the net value of my securities if I sold enough to pay off margin).  Your account does not show a negative cash balance but shows a positive margin figure.  You only own $23.00 of securities as far as I can tell, but I can't make out what the margin figure means when you have a zero cash balance.  I would suggest withdrawing $23.00 and see what happens.  If the system allows it, you should be good.

trade
Disclaimer

withdraw
Disclaimer
cleanbeat said:   Be careful with this as ML may charge a "low balance fee" of $7 per month. I have an ML account worth around $900 from a former employer's stock plan, and they started taking the low balance fee so I am going through the process of selling the securities (which of course is a pain in the butt involving a customer form, W-9, new account form, etc.). I guess they don't really want their clients' ex-employees hanging around.  It does appear they stopped taking the low balance fee when I created my ML Edge account, but I don't know why or if it will resume.

As to the margin question, it's hard to tell what's going on because they don't use normal terminology for a margin account.  My margin accounts report gross securities value, negative cash balance (what I owe on margin), and equity with loan (the net value of my securities if I sold enough to pay off margin).  Your account does not show a negative cash balance but shows a positive margin figure.  You only own $23.00 of securities as far as I can tell, but I can't make out what the margin figure means when you have a zero cash balance.  I would suggest withdrawing $23.00 and see what happens.  If the system allows it, you should be good.

I dug into this further and came up with 2 other screenshots. I have no securities in this account (all partially transferred). My confusion is over the margin balance of $0.88.

Hadrianus said:     I dug into this further and came up with 2 other screenshots. I have no securities in this account (all partially transferred). My confusion is over the margin balance of $0.88.
Does the Activity page show that you've received $0.88 of interest recently (possibly spread across multiple months)?
My guess is that they only sweep whole dollar amounts into the "Money Account", and the remaining amount less than $1 accrues in the "Margin balance" until it reaches $1.
In my account, I have $X.00 in "Money accounts", and $0.05 in "Margin balance".  The Activity page shows a deposit of a whole dollar amount into ML DIRECT DEPOSIT PROGRM; after that, I received a few cents of interest.
"Available to Withdraw (Cash)" for me is $X.05.  That makes me think that in your case, your actual total amount should be $23.88.  But it's weird that your "Available to Withdraw (Cash)" is only $23.  Maybe the $0.88 interest was received very recently, and will take a few days to be available for withdrawal.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016