PayPal address on check!

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A vendor sent me a check and "Pay To The Order Of" says exactly like this:
Pay To The Order Of: PayPal: johndoe@somedomain.net
If I can endorse (how do I endorse this?) and pass the teller at the bank (who knows me) will it clear without a problem automatically after that?
I try to avoid the hassle of replacing the check as the amount is small.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You can hire an appraiser to look at the condition of the check and put together a report, but you'll probably end up ha... (more)

jayK (Sep. 08, 2016 @ 12:01a) |

Thank you for all your advice, feedback, and good humor. This afternoon I went to the branch and the teller who knows me... (more)

runoff (Sep. 08, 2016 @ 3:40a) |

Back in the day when I worked at CompUSA as a cashier, I rang up a guy who wrote a check whose name was Jack Mehoff. I w... (more)

jpfern15 (Sep. 08, 2016 @ 9:26a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Endorse as written; then endorse as your account is styled; then deposit in the ATM.

slappycakes said:   Endorse as written; then endorse as your account is styled; then deposit in the ATM.
  So this means I endorse as PayPal: johndoe@somedomain.net
Then below that line endorse as my bank account title (my name).
I am sure the teller who knows me wouldn't object to accepting it rather than the ATM machine (or ATM is preferred in this case?).

If the bank account you're depositing it in is your Paypal linked bank account, you should be fine endorsing it as johndoe.

atikovi said:   If the bank account you're depositing it in is your Paypal linked bank account, you should be fine endorsing it as johndoe.
  My bank has nothing to do with PayPal. It was apparently a computer error to put PayPal: johndoe@somedomain.net instead of my name. I asked them to send me a check but also offered a second option to pay through PayPal.

runoff said:   
atikovi said:   If the bank account you're depositing it in is your Paypal linked bank account, you should be fine endorsing it as johndoe.
  My bank has nothing to do with PayPal. It was apparently a computer error to put PayPal: johndoe@somedomain.net instead of my name. I asked them to send me a check but also offered a second option to pay through PayPal.

If you take Paypal, don't you have a linked bank account? You should deposit it to that.

Write FOR DEPOSIT ONLY in small but ALL CAPITAL letters above any and all endorsements you write on the check. Deposit with the teller who knows you.

You sure it's a real check?

atikovi said:   
runoff said:   

If you take Paypal, don't you have a linked bank account? You should deposit it to that.

My bank (Chase) is linked to PayPal among 10 other banks but this is a paper check that should be payable to my name (John Doe) not my PayPal address with "PayPal:" in front of it!

forbin4040 said:   You sure it's a real check?
  Real vendor check..

Why would you think the bank cares, let alone knows, about what his paypal account is linked to?

runoff said:   
slappycakes said:   Endorse as written; then endorse as your account is styled; then deposit in the ATM.
I am sure the teller who knows me wouldn't object to accepting it rather than the ATM machine (or ATM is preferred in this case?).

I'd do one of two things - just scribble your signature on the back and dump it into the ATM.  Or, write nothing on it, walk into the bank, and ask the teller.

I'm assuming the "johndoe" part of the paypal account email is your actual name? 

ATM

If your name is "John Doe," I would just sign it as John Doe and leave all the other nonsense off.  Hopefully, even if it does get scrutinized, some common sense will prevail.  I would think that signing it as "PayPal: johndoe@somedomain.net" would raise more questions.

Glitch99 said:   
runoff said:   

I'd do one of two things - just scribble your signature on the back and dump it into the ATM.  Or, write nothing on it, walk into the bank, and ask the teller.

I'm assuming the "johndoe" part of the paypal account email is your actual name? 

My actual name but only last name for PayPal: PayPal: lastname@somedomain.net

BrianGa said:   ATM
Every single time this comes up, people suggest putting it into an ATM and I strongly disagree.  Do not put it in an ATM.  It's like throwing over to first base to hold a runner on.  Only three things can happen, and two of them are bad.

If you attempt to deposit the check with a teller, the worst that will happen is you're told no and the check is handed back to you.  Then it's in your hand to try with another teller and/or with another bank.  If you put it into the ATM and it gets rejected, you have to wait for the check to be returned to you, and you may only get a copy of it returned to you.  Technically, the copy is supposed to be valid for deposit just as the original was, but what better way to get scrutiny at the second bank than having clear and undeniable evidence that it had already been rejected by the first bank?

Either take a picture of it and deposit it via a mobile app or take it to a teller.

DTASFAB said:   
Either take a picture of it and deposit it via a mobile app or take it to a teller.

I'd ordinarily agree with you. But lately it seems the best option for a weird check is to post on FW and ask what to do with them. 

Glitch99 said:   
  Why would you think the bank cares, let alone knows, about what his paypal account is linked to?

Because the bank can look up his account and see he has transferred funds from his paypal account into his bank account. I see on my Capital One checking account, ACH deposit PAYPAL TRANSFER ATI KOVI, 6 times last month.

If it was me, I would just mobile deposit it.

If that didn't work, hit up the company for a reprint with the correct name.

Normally I'd atm a check but I'd want to keep a copy if the company wants it back for some reason.

I guess the amount would determine how much effort I put into getting it cashed or fixed quickly.

If you decide to deposit with a teller (my bank isn't local so that's not an easy option for me) treat it as no big deal. If you ask the teller "can I deposit a check like this?" you a much more likely to get a no, probably after she asks the manager.

scrouds said:   If you decide to deposit with a teller (my bank isn't local so that's not an easy option for me) treat it as no big deal. If you ask the teller "can I deposit a check like this?" you a much more likely to get a no, probably after she asks the manager.
You have just touched on the first lesson every child and pet dog should learn upon taking a first breath of oxygen outside of a uterus:  It's always better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Stubtify said:   
DTASFAB said:   

I'd ordinarily agree with you. But lately it seems the best option for a weird check is to post on FW and ask what to do with them. 

The issue here that no one has addressed . . . how do we go about calculating the diminished value of the check?

donotdrinkPBR said:   
Stubtify said:   
DTASFAB said:   

The issue here that no one has addressed . . . how do we go about calculating the diminished value of the check?

You can hire an appraiser to look at the condition of the check and put together a report, but you'll probably end up having to sue the person who crashed into the check.

Thank you for all your advice, feedback, and good humor. This afternoon I went to the branch and the teller who knows me assured me that all I had to do was just signing on the back (no other confusing stuff, just a simple signature) and since the amount is only $15 there should be no problem. By the way, my name and full address was printed on the lower half part of the check by the vendor (between the dollar amount line and the bottom MEMO section)!

Back in the day when I worked at CompUSA as a cashier, I rang up a guy who wrote a check whose name was Jack Mehoff. I was so caught up in why his parents would name him that (and biting my tongue not to laugh), it never occurred to me until after he left that maybe the check is fraudulent.

Maybe your teller will have the same experience when you hand him your check.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017