Anyone way how to get out of a student loan from a "Trade School?"

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I attended a school by the name of A.T.I College in the city of Downey, CA  as a General Ultrasound tech. 
In the state of California a general ultrasound tech is suppose to have 1 yr of experience in order to get a state license. This school only provided 6 months of experience which explains why no place would hire me and I was unable to get experience. All my classmates were unable to obtain a job in this field. 
How can I get out of this student loan?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The students GOT the training and the diploma.  I can see the students caught by their closing having a case, but this i... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Sep. 19, 2016 @ 12:03a) |

I understand that the only ITT students who are getting refunds are those who are currently enrolled or who have put dow... (more)

Crazytree (Sep. 19, 2016 @ 1:39a) |

Ah, the article I read implied otherwise. Of course it was just based on a quote, who knows how it will play out -- sus... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Sep. 19, 2016 @ 4:42a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pearl23 ;19627661 said:How can I get out of this student loan?
  Write a check.

Did the program state that you would be licensed when the program was completed?  Or are you expected to intern on your own for another 6 months in order to qualify for licensing in your state?  Can you go to another state and be licensed; is CA an outlier with the experience requirements, or do all states generally have this requirement?  Have you asked people actually working in the field how they obtained the experience to be licensed?

Pay your obligations and do more research next time.  Are you supposing that this school is a giant scam and there was never a chance at getting an ultrasound tech job?  My guess is you're doing it wrong.

Pearl23 ;19627661 said:In the state of California a general ultrasound tech is suppose to have 1 yr of experience in order to get a state license. This school only provided 6 months of experience which explains why no place would hire me and I was unable to get experience. 
  Go back for another 6 months?

For Ultrasound you should have chosen a school accredited by CAAHEP. How long was the program where you went and what was the cost? I don't even think you can take the ARDMS or ARRT certification.

Who issued the loan? Its likely a private loan from a bank. Your beef is with the school, not the bank.
If the school misrepresented anything you could sue them. Or consider trying a class action.

Unfortunately sounds like you got ripped off like most for profit school customers.

There is an episode of The Good Wife about this. You should watch it.

Pearl23 said:   I attended a school by the name of A.T.I College in the city of Downey, CA  as a General Ultrasound tech.
Hope and pray that they close down.

Good lord

Pearl23 said:   I attended a school by the name of A.T.I College in the city of Downey, CA  as a General Ultrasound tech. 
Pearl23,

I do not have any knowledge of your general question, so I don't have any thoughts about that,

but I did want to say --

It's not a good idea on the general internet (like on a site such as Fatwallet) to use your real name and provide identifying details about yourself like your profession and where you went to college. 

This sort of thing can't easily be deleted from the internet after it is written, and it is readily searchable on search engines like Google / Bing / Yahoo --
so if a potential employer types in your name, profession, state, and/or college, etc. into a search engine (which most employers do nowadays, before hiring someone),
it's quite likely that the employer will be presented with your Fatwallet thread here, how you asked if you can get out of paying on your school loan, how you admitted that you don't have the qualifications needed to be employed in your profession, and how you have presumably not been proactive yourself in getting the further 6 months of training that apparently is required for you.

If you go to http://www.ati.edu - the site states "Become an Ultrasound Technician in only 14 months!" Where did you get 6 months from?

ATI College 

It also states:

"Although some states require workers in this occupation to be licensed, licensing is not required in California to work in this position. However, some graduates of Ultrasound Technology program maybe eligible Click here to participate in certification examinations from the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS)."  

oppidum said:   
Pearl23,

I do not have any knowledge of your general question, so I don't have any thoughts about that,

but I did want to say --

It's not a good idea on the general internet (like on a site such as Fatwallet) to use your real name and provide identifying details about yourself like your profession and where you went to college. 

This sort of thing can't easily be deleted from the internet after it is written, and it is readily searchable on search engines like Google / Bing / Yahoo --
so if a potential employer types in your name, profession, state, and/or college, etc. into a search engine (which most employers do nowadays, before hiring someone),
it's quite likely that the employer will be presented with your Fatwallet thread here, how you asked if you can get out of paying on your school loan, how you admitted that you don't have the qualifications needed to be employed in your profession, and how you have presumably not been proactive yourself in getting the further 6 months of training that apparently is required for you.

How do you know Pearl23 is her real name?  She didn't capitalize it, after all.

oppidum said:   
Pearl23,

I've never had a problem.

DTASFAB said:   
oppidum said:   
Pearl23,

but I did want to say --

How do you know Pearl23 is her real name?  She didn't capitalize it, after all.

Even if it was, it would be hard to match a name like Pearl23 to a person.

NEDeals said:     Even if it was, it would be hard to match a name like Pearl23 to a person.

The new user had a different handle which was their full name. It seems like a mod has changed the user name and all references to it in this thread.

“I am stuck up to my neck in debt for the rest of my life."

The For-profit school loan situation is only going to get worse

NEDeals said:   "How do you know Pearl23 is her real name?  She didn't capitalize it, after all."

Even if it was, it would be hard to match a name like Pearl23 to a person.

The original screen name chosen by that new Fatwallet member (the OP) was her own name (first and last).

The comments that were posted in reply naturally included her username as it was written at the time.

A couple of days after most of the comments were made here, Fatwallet went into all the posts and replaced her original name with "Pearl23".

After reading my first post above, the OP deleted her original post entirely, but now I see that most of the content is back in the original post, complete with name of college, location, and degree title.

---
The last time the WaybackMachine (Internet Archive) captured an image of Fatwallet.com was September 12 -- my adblockers are stopping me from seeing what they archived from this site on that day (it's telling me it requires Google ips, which I have blocked).

The Internet Archive says it saved Fatwallet.com "3,831 times between March 3, 2000 and September 12, 2016".
It's here: http://web.archive.org/web/*/fatwallet.com 

---
It's hard to completely erase anything that is written online, even if a particular website agrees to edit out part of what they'd earlier published.
A good lesson for the young lady.  (Are kids not taught this in school?)

---
Good luck to her, I think she'll be fine in the end.  

Just get the additional training she needs for the state certification, pay the loan off over time (unless it was somehow illegally offered to her), and things will work out.

This thread is a lemon and I want my money back.

The way you do that is to pay your school loan first, but not pay other debts, like credit cards. Those are discharged more easily than school loans.

Abandoned thread.

Actually her question was obviously based on the fact that ITT students are apparently not going to be required to repay their obligations. (being a graduate of the ITT program who paid my loans off 10-15 years or so ago who won't get a refund and thinks he got what he paid for... I think that is a stupid idea anyway)

RedWolfe01 said:   Actually her question was obviously based on the fact that ITT students are apparently not going to be required to repay their obligations. (being a graduate of the ITT program who paid my loans off 10-15 years or so ago who won't get a refund and thinks he got what he paid for... I think that is a stupid idea anyway)
  Stupid idea How?

Eque1974 said:   
RedWolfe01 said:   Actually her question was obviously based on the fact that ITT students are apparently not going to be required to repay their obligations. (being a graduate of the ITT program who paid my loans off 10-15 years or so ago who won't get a refund and thinks he got what he paid for... I think that is a stupid idea anyway)
  Stupid idea How?

The students GOT the training and the diploma.  I can see the students caught by their closing having a case, but this is also graduates.  

FWIW, I am sure a lot of these students will end up at deVry since ITT and DeVry always accepted each others credits.  A few states also have state technical colleges -- which have similar programs.  Mostly tech colleges and academic colleges are so different that other than a few liberal arts classes you get nothing.  Particularly since they use quarters instead of semesters in technical schools.  I found that even fairly advanced 3 semester-hour courses from academic colleges did not replace a 4 quarter-hour basic math course because it was "fewer hours."  

I understand that the only ITT students who are getting refunds are those who are currently enrolled or who have put down deposits.

Ah, the article I read implied otherwise. Of course it was just based on a quote, who knows how it will play out -- suspect it will not sort out until after the next election.

I didn't see anything about a REFUND, but a statement that they would not have to repay their student loans - the federal ones. I guess the "guaranteed loans" cut both ways.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017