Equifax is requiring me to lift security freeze in writing. Why?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Equifax is inexplicably requiring me to request a security freeze lift in writing and include utility bills as proof of id and pay by check. In the past I could do it all online.

Does anyone know what triggers this?

The only thing I can think of is I was presented with some credit bureau looking questions when I was trying to prove my identity on a website a week or so ago and it told me I had the answers wrong (they weren't). So maybe this triggered some fraud lock down?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

do you want the thieves with most of your personal information to be able to unfreeze your CRAs with a few clicks online and start opening up fraudulent accounts in your name?  I think if you put a freeze on, you're signing up for more legitimate credit headaches in exchange for fewer illegitimate ones. 

"I froze my account and the credit bureau did what I asked."

You could just call 888-298-0045 and do it that way.
You must have a confirmation number from a last unfreeze or paper report, and your pin as expected.

althes said:   You could just call 888-298-0045 and do it that way.
You must have a confirmation number from a last unfreeze or paper report, and your pin as expected.

I already tried that. It took all my info, credit card #, plus my pin and at the very end said "oops, no can do. Mail us, suckah."

DTASFAB said:   "I froze my account and the credit bureau did what I asked."

xerty said:   do you want the thieves with most of your personal information to be able to unfreeze your CRAs with a few clicks online and start opening up fraudulent accounts in your name? I think if you put a freeze on, you're signing up for more legitimate credit headaches in exchange for fewer illegitimate ones.

No. You guys are misinformed. Freezes just mean you create a PIN to unfreeze. I was able to unfreeze TU and Experian by just providing the PIN. Equifax wants me to "prove" who I am by physically mailing them a copy of my drivers license and my utility bill (things that any Identity Thefter worth their salt should be able to forge). It's stupid.

I think you nailed it in your OP. You triggered the old school paper verification because you failed the public records questions. Last time I froze/thawed/permanently thawed my file I was able to do it all online.

And I've noticed the public records thing is sometimes wrong. So probably failed because of that.

I had the same problem, for some reason Eqiufax wanted a different previous home address than other bureaus. But once I entered the "right" home address online it worked.

TravelerMSY said:   I think you nailed it in your OP. You triggered the old school paper verification because you failed the public records questions. Last time I froze/thawed/permanently thawed my file I was able to do it all online.

And I've noticed the public records thing is sometimes wrong. So probably failed because of that.

Final update: I tried one more time just now (after trying 5 times last night) and this time I got to the point where it asked me for my credit card to pay for the freeze lift. After a few minutes, the web page gave a generic error, but I saw that my credit card has a pending charge, and equifax site now only gives me the option to place a new freeze. I contacted the bank I was working with and they were able to pull my report.

So it appears to me that Equifax requires people to request via snail mail when their IT guys are doing updates late at night!!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017