How long it takes a problem check to return

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If I deposit a check at the end of a business day with a teller and the teller processes it, how long on average does it take if the check has a problem such as a stop order, etc. before returning?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

traderranger said:   If I deposit a check at the end of a business day with a teller and the teller processes it, how long on average does it take if the check has a problem such as a stop order, etc. before returning?
  Without any additional information, I'd give it at least a week.  It can "bounce" by the next day, but the process can take longer with some banks.

2 weeks max.

traderranger said:   If I deposit a check at the end of a business day with a teller and the teller processes it, how long on average does it take if the check has a problem such as a stop order, etc. before returning?
  Is it a cashiers check from your rich Nigerian uncle?

It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.

TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

rufflesinc said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

  Only if they'll cash it for cash -- and most won't.

stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

  Only if they'll cash it for cash -- and most won't.

  they can at least tell you if it's legit

And don't think the bank won't come after you if it comes back bad and you've already spent it - you know, sending a Western Union to the person that sent you the check because they accidentally overpaid you...with a check drawn off some random company...that has nothing to do with the lottery you "won". Don't forget to prepay the taxes!!

rufflesinc said:   
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

  Only if they'll cash it for cash -- and most won't.

  they can at least tell you if it's legit

  They check can still bounce -- because of the availability of funds rules, other payments can come before yours.

stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

  Only if they'll cash it for cash -- and most won't.

  they can at least tell you if it's legit

  They check can still bounce -- because of the availability of funds rules, other payments can come before yours.

  not if it's a cashier's check

The main evil here is getting a counterfeit or unauthorized cashiers check. It will get credited normally as a deposit but weeks later get unwound when it is discovered to be counterfeit or is a legitimate check but the funds to purchase it were stolen.

Don't ask me how I know

TravelerMSY said:    is a legitimate check but the funds to purchase it were stolen.

 

  How do the police determine that

rufflesinc said:   
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

  Only if they'll cash it for cash -- and most won't.

  they can at least tell you if it's legit

  They check can still bounce -- because of the availability of funds rules, other payments can come before yours.

  not if it's a cashier's check

There are cases where a cashier's check will not be honored.  A stop payment can be placed on a lost or fraudulently obtained cashier's check.  

dcwilbur said:   
rufflesinc said:   
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

  Only if they'll cash it for cash -- and most won't.

  they can at least tell you if it's legit

  They check can still bounce -- because of the availability of funds rules, other payments can come before yours.

  not if it's a cashier's check

There are cases where a cashier's check will not be honored.  A stop payment can be placed on a lost or fraudulently obtained cashier's check.  

  Which leads us back to the original issue. You're not really protected unless the 3rd-party bank will cash the check at a teller window.

stanolshefski said:   
rufflesinc said:   
TravelerMSY said:   It can take up to two weeks to find out a check is counterfeit. I'd insist on cash or bank wire for anything above a trivial amount.
Take it to the bank it was drawn on

  Only if they'll cash it for cash -- and most won't.

In my experience, most banks actually do cash out checks.  I've only done it a handful of times, but the only place I ever had any trouble was at HSBC, and I had a freakin' account with them at the time.  The problem was the check was a payout from an offshore sportsbook and the only reason they suspected there was anything suspicious about it is that it was drawn on an HSBC account and they somehow figured out what the account was being used for.  Once they realized the book's payment processor in the U.S. was using them to pay winners in the U.S., they shut every check down one day after I deposited mine.  I even asked the teller to confirm that the funds were available at the time of deposit, and he said there's plenty of money in the check writer's account to cover it.  But less than 24 hours later, all that money was frozen.  I went back to the same teller after I realized there was a problem and I told him I should have just cashed it out as if I wasn't an HSBC customer, but he said it's against their policy, so I was screwed either way.  It took over four months to get it all straightened out, since the book had to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch to get money into this country.

But I've cashed checks at Wachovia before it became Wells Fargo, and I did it at Chase, where I also have an account, but the teller was cool about it.  I told him I had concerns about the check, so I want to cash it out and then deposit the cash.  He understood and did the transaction perfectly without ever touching or counting any federal reserve notes.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017