Should i file claim with my insurance or the other party

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Met with an accident yesterday when the car rear-ended at the signal light.  Cop gave ticket to the other person. I think our Lexus CT rear bumper need to be replaced as it is broken and off the hooks at the corners.

Now, do i file with my insurance(Geico) where i have $500 deductible or file  with other persons insurance USAA. What would make sense in this case. I feel comfortable going with Geico adjuster than USAA adjuster and their Body Shop
but Geico says they will deal with USAA but can't guarantee my deductible.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Try USAA first, if they fight, go with Geico.

Your insurer can't guarantee your deductible because they don't know how much resistance they'll meet in the fault determination.

Personally, I'd go directly to the at-fault insurer but remember you'll be talking to someone who has a vested interest in assigning you some negligence and who does this every day.

Be prepared to speak on all the circumstances involved...Weather, traffic conditions, how long you'd been sitting at the traffic light, and whether all your lights were working. As a general rule, don't volunteer more information than asked but clearly answer with context if it is pertinent. Don't make any definitive statements about injuries or damages that might turn out differently with more time or investigation. Think something along the lines of, "I'm not hurting so far," and, "The damage I can see is..." Request clarification of any questions you don't fully understand.

Go with your own insurance company. They'll go after the deductible for you when they recover their monies

File with your own insurance company... they have good working relationships with the other companies and they will get your car repaired much quicker and deal with all the dirty work... and usually waive the deductible right up front as opposed to reimbursing you from the other party's insurance later.

You didn't say your neck hurt and ask for an ambulance?

Crazytree said:   File with your own insurance company... they have good working relationships with the other companies and they will get your car repaired much quicker and deal with all the dirty work... and usually waive the deductible right up front as opposed to reimbursing you from the other party's insurance later.
Not my experience recently.  It took several months to complete the subrogation process and get my deductible refunded.  Then came the next surprise when my insurer raised my premiums "due to my recent accident" even though the other insurer was ticketed and his insurer had covered 100% of the damages to the four vehicles involved.  It took an appeal to the state insurance commissioner to get my premium increase removed and the difference refunded.  I was taking the advised route of working with my own insurer because, you know, they're looking out for me, right?  If I had it to do all over again, I would have dealt with the other party's insurer directly.

dcwilbur said:   
Crazytree said:   File with your own insurance company... they have good working relationships with the other companies and they will get your car repaired much quicker and deal with all the dirty work... and usually waive the deductible right up front as opposed to reimbursing you from the other party's insurance later.
Not my experience recently.  It took several months to complete the subrogation process and get my deductible refunded.  Then came the next surprise when my insurer raised my premiums "due to my recent accident" even though the other insurer was ticketed and his insurer had covered 100% of the damages to the four vehicles involved.  It took an appeal to the state insurance commissioner to get my premium increase removed and the difference refunded.  I was taking the advised route of working with my own insurer because, you know, they're looking out for me, right?  If I had it to do all over again, I would have dealt with the other party's insurer directly.

Seems aberrant, and was found by your insurance commissioner to be illegal.  Very strange.

You should absolutely notify your insurance company if you have damage. That is almost certainly an obligation under your policy whether you file a claim or not. Whether you actually file a claim with your insurance is another call. In the few instances where I have had a claim (all the other person's fault, except one uninsured claim where it was sill their fault) once the other company accepted responsibility my insurance handled filing the claim with them and then I was free to deal with the other company, contacting my insurance only if there was an issue. It didn't ncessitate actually filing a claim with my own company. Good luck.

IMO it depends how "easy" you think it will be. Our car got rear ended a couple of years ago and it was very obvious who was at fault. It was during a high traffic hour with witnesses, and we also had a dashcam that recorded the speed we were driving (5 mph). It was a slam dunk and after calling the other person's insurance they emailed me back the next day and told me they accepted fault.

The only problem is when they compensate you, they may try to jerk you around. They initially sent us a quote for a reconditioned bumper, but the car was only a couple of years old, so I had to demand the new OE part. Otherwise it was pretty easy and I liked dealing with it myself instead of having to wait for my insurance to provide updates. I think it would get a bit messier when there are two insurance companies involved.

dcwilbur said:   

Perhaps you could name the insurance?

Ecuadorgr said:     Perhaps you could name the insurance?
Well, I have good neighbors, but I have to say that in this case, my insurer was nothing like them. 

Over the last 12 years, my family has been involved in a few accidents. Every time I went through my insurance, Progressive.

Everytime, Progressive
-listed the claim as not at fault
-handled the repairs immediately
-guaranteed the repairs
-subrogated the claim and refunded my deductible

This comes down to a personal decision, but you will not hide the accident from your insurer and you could lose your right to covering the claim if you don't give them timely notification.

Twice, they waived the deductible because the other insurer admitted that their client was at fault.

In a similar situation, my insurer (farmers) advised me to file directly with the at-fault insurance (aaa), otherwise he said my premiums would go up.
AAA admitted 100% fault on their driver and paid for repairs after a few phone calls/emails/letters/. I had AAA inspect the car at the garage that gave me an estimate for a fix because I didn't trust their "Expert" to not lie.

I've always gone after the other side's insurance--filing through my own would cost me the claim-free discount even if in the end the other guy paid it all.

dcwilbur said:   
Ecuadorgr said:     Perhaps you could name the insurance?
Well, I have good neighbors, but I have to say that in this case, my insurer was nothing like them. 

Had them for about 20 years and 1st claim, ran into the same crap you did.  Changed after dealing with them to Cincinnati Insurance.  If I had neighbors like those guys, would move. 

I would note that USAA generally has the highest customer satisfaction in the industry. I would give them a shot first.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017