Door Ding!!!! What the best course?

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My suv got dinged by another car door at the soccer practice. Story goes: I was in my car watching my son practicing soccer. Some grandpa decided to squeeze next to me and another car. He had his granddaughter in the car with him playing around. Next thing I know I heard a boom and my car saw that his granddaughter opened the back door and hit my qtr panel.

I get out of the car and there was a quarter size dent. Grand pa gets out and says just a scratch. I said no there is a dent. I said what we gonna do about it. He said I dont know. He gave me his insurance info. I offered to get estimates for paintless dent repair and not file thru his insurance. I mention your rates could possibly go up. He said I dont care about higher rates. I want to fix your dent.

I got a estimate for PDR and it would cost appox 100.00

So what would be the best course for this?  Do I contact his insurance company and make a claim or do I contact my insurance company and give them the other party's insurance and let them deal with it?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
And this is why we can't have nice things.

ablang (Sep. 17, 2016 @ 5:19p) |

I've had this happen. If the person is genuinely apologetic and the damage isn't too bad I let it go. If he/she gives me... (more)

alamo11 (Sep. 17, 2016 @ 6:46p) |

I have a similar story, old guy hit my son and caused minimal damage... $500. I naturally assumed gramps would cut me a... (more)

kriskos4 (Sep. 18, 2016 @ 4:13a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You call the guy or wait until the next time you're both at the park and show him the quote. Ask him to pay the $100.

Don't overcomplicate this. His insurance won't cover a claim so low.

kenpomace said:   
 I got a estimate for PDR and it would cost appox 100.00

ask gramps for a benjamin

Not that difficult since you have his information. You're lucky.

Contact him and ask for cash. If he says to file with his insurance, then do that, and get your dent fixed.

If you file for insurance get it checked at the nicest place in town for the fix and submit that as the cost to fix.  Then go there and get it done.  If he pays the $100 all good, probably less then his deducible.

Stubtify said:   You call the guy or wait until the next time you're both at the park and show him the quote. Ask him to pay the $100.

Huh? Of course the other person's insurance would cover it. There is no minimum. The other person would be stupid for letting this process as a claim, but that is another story!

dannon35 said:   
Stubtify said:   You call the guy or wait until the next time you're both at the park and show him the quote. Ask him to pay the $100.

Huh? Of course the other person's insurance would cover it. There is no minimum. The other person would be stupid for letting this process as a claim, but that is another story!

Other's person's insurance will cover this.  Low amount, so they probably won't even investigate or send an adjuster, just pay the shop.  OP is being nice by bothering to contact insured in the first place.  If he offered his insurance and said to file against it, I'd just go ahead and do it.  Not my problem to try to save the guy money.  Maybe he's loaded and really doesn't care.  Maybe he's dying -- File soon!

dannon35 said:   
  Huh? Of course the other person's insurance would cover it. There is no minimum.

How many people have automobile insurance deductibles at $100 or less, except perhaps glass?

A dent is better than "just a scratch". Get a can of compressed air and a hair dryer

and fix the dent. Ask grandpa if he wants to treat you to a beer. Bring a lawn chair to the next practice and get out of your car to watch/cheer on your son practicing soccer.

BingBlangBlaow said:   ... fix the dent. Ask grandpa if he wants to treat you to a beer. Bring a lawn chair to the next practice and get out of your car to watch/cheer on your son practicing soccer.
  Why fix it yourself?  OP has insurance information, just file it. That's what insurance is for.  I wish I'd been as lucky the zillion times my cars have been hit in parking lots.  My quarter panels look like moon craters.

NEDeals said:   dannon35 said:   
  Huh? Of course the other person's insurance would cover it. There is no minimum.

How many people have automobile insurance deductibles at $100 or less, except perhaps glass?

There is no deductible for liability.

NEDeals said:   
dannon35 said:   

For liability?  I guess everyone...?  Fault/no-fault states play in, but generally, no deductible for liability claims.  How else would it work?  

Let say I bring him the estimates and he insist to do it thru the insurance. (told me twice to go thru his insurance). what would be the nest step? Me call his insurance or let my insurance do it for me

He has USAA insurance

One other thing his daughter( i assume) pulled up and she was laughing about it like it was no big deal

Is the other family on your sons team? If so, don't be that guy that gets all crazy. Bring it up one time and say hey the ding was $100 bucks, I didn't want to file with insurance so if you can reimburse me that would be great. If he argues just let it go and chalk it up to one of those things in life you just have to deal with having kids because guaranteed your kid will damage something one day and someone else will just take the hit and chalk it up as a loss.

Get this for fun
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-suction-cup-Dent-puller-Remover-of-g...

USAA / Welcome to USAA
Disclaimer
kenpomace said:   
One other thing his daughter( i assume) pulled up and she was laughing about it like it was no big deal

don't assume

Since he told you twice to call his insurance, call HIS insurance company and they will give you the info on how to submit the claim. I don't see any reason to involve your insurance company.

DamnoIT said:   If you file for insurance get it checked at the nicest place in town for the fix and submit that as the cost to fix.  Then go there and get it done.  If he pays the $100 all good, probably less then his deducible.
  I believe what you're telling OP to do is called insurance fraud. 

kenpomace said:   Let say I bring him the estimates and he insist to do it thru the insurance. (told me twice to go thru his insurance). what would be the nest step? Me call his insurance or let my insurance do it for me

He has USAA insurance

Yeah well actually a quarter size ding that costs $100 to fix actually is no big deal.

Were you making a big deal out of it?

Stubtify said:   
DamnoIT said:   If you file for insurance get it checked at the nicest place in town for the fix and submit that as the cost to fix.  Then go there and get it done.  If he pays the $100 all good, probably less then his deducible.

Why would that be insurance fraud?  OP is entitled to get it fixed wherever they want.  Fraud would be going to said shop, having them file with the insurance, and then getting a kickback from the shop for an inflated claim.  

jerosen said:   
kenpomace said:   Let say I bring him the estimates and he insist to do it thru the insurance. (told me twice to go thru his insurance). what would be the nest step? Me call his insurance or let my insurance do it for me

He has USAA insurance

Yeah well actually a quarter size ding that costs $100 to fix actually is no big deal.

Were you making a big deal out of it?

A door ding is definitely NOT a big deal.  This, especially considering they stayed, admitted fault, and provided you with insurance information and said to get it fixed.  It's certainly a laughable matter.  'Sorry about the door, but hey, that's why I have insurance.'   Hey, it happens...

The big deal is actually the time it takes to make it right, which isn't trivial, and people understand that.  By screwing around with it, instead of just filing against his insurance and having it fixed, OP is just making the time sink even worse.  Does it kinda suck?  Sure.  Is everyone safe and your car is still driving to work and to soccer practice?  Yup.  Get it fixed, and drop it.  

Infinion said:   
Stubtify said:   

Why would that be insurance fraud?  OP is entitled to get it fixed wherever they want.  Fraud would be going to said shop, having them file with the insurance, and then getting a kickback from the shop for an inflated claim.  

I read it as him saying get a quote from the highest shop in town then go to the $100 place for the fix. 

Why does this thread have 20 posts?

What about the most important question?  What about diminished value?? 

Stubtify said:   
Infinion said:   
Stubtify said:   

I read it as him saying get a quote from the highest shop in town then go to the $100 place for the fix. 

Okay, but that's not what was said.  "Then go there and get it done."  

Seriously, who gets a door ding fixed?  Life's too short.  Go watch your kid and forget about it.

dcwilbur said:   Seriously, who gets a door ding fixed?  Life's too short.  Go watch your kid and forget about it.
I agree, why fix it?   Collect the $100 and deposit it into your retirement fund.  The car is going to get more door dings anyway.

george2001 said:   
dcwilbur said:   Seriously, who gets a door ding fixed?  Life's too short.  Go watch your kid and forget about it.
I agree, why fix it?   Collect the $100 and deposit it into your retirement fund.  The car is going to get more door dings anyway.

Consider it a badge of honor, a conversation starter, something that sets your ride apart from all the others....

Now you have a car with "character"!

george2001 said:   

Forget about the $100.  I would probably say, "hey, don't worry about it, but you might want to tell her to be a little more careful," especially if these are people who you will be standing with on the side of ball fields and sitting next to at school plays for the next ten years. 

dcwilbur said:   
george2001 said:   

Forget about the $100.  I would probably say, "hey, don't worry about it, but you might want to tell her to be a little more careful," especially if these are people who you will be standing with on the side of ball fields and sitting next to at school plays for the next ten years. 

Of course, that usually results in them repeating the process in every other parking lot, and damaging everyone else's car they park next to.  At some point, it's an enabling behavior to not hold them responsible and it's almost like you're the one going and damaging other people's cars yourself by letting it slide.  Some people have zero respect for other people's property.  On the other hand... maybe it actually was a rare occurrence.

If this stuff bothers you, park far away to prevent furture door dings.

BingBlangBlaow said:   A dent is better than "just a scratch". Get a can of compressed air and a hair dryer

and fix the dent. Ask grandpa if he wants to treat you to a beer. Bring a lawn chair to the next practice and get out of your car to watch/cheer on your son practicing soccer.

That works for large dents, for quarter size ones I'm not so sure it will pull it out.

Those compressed air, etc. "repairs" frequently don't last. A lot of people try and repair hail damage that way. But many times these small dent repairs magically reappear if not repaired properly.

dcwilbur said:   Seriously, who gets a door ding fixed? 

Someone whose car doesn't have any other dings.

Get an estimate at same brand dealership. Submit to your insurance.

Otherwise you're volunteering for a headache.

My 3 year old did the same thing at the park a few weeks ago.  I left a note, the guy called me before he left and we settled on $25 for some spray paint.  Kids will mess things up, man.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

nakor28 said:   My 3 year old did the same thing at the park a few weeks ago.  I left a note, the guy called me before he left and we settled on $25 for some spray paint.  Kids will mess things up, man.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

Sounds like your child hit a beautiful car.  

ok let me hit your door and tell you hey man life is too short  

george2001 said:   

I agree, why fix it?   Collect the $100 and deposit it into your retirement fund.  You will have to pay it to others  for a similar mistake when you become an old grandma or grandpa!

Skipping 11 Messages...
I have a similar story, old guy hit my son and caused minimal damage... $500. I naturally assumed gramps would cut me a check but his insurance covered it. Pretty sure his premium just went up $500 a year.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017