$150 bonus for TIAAdirect checking

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
https://www.tiaadirect.com/public/banking/land/display/ckg_150?t... This offer is available for a new TIAA Direct Interest Checking account, applied for online or by calling 844-567-8932 using promotion code CK76DD150. Only one (1) offer is available per customer. It may not be combined with any other offers from TIAA Direct and is not available to existing checking customers.Offer Terms. TIAA Direct will credit a $150 bonus to a new Interest Checking account if the account is opened by 9/30/2016 and one or more qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $2,500 from the same source is/are credited to that account within 90 days of its open date. Qualifying direct deposits may include payroll, pension or Social Security checks electronically deposited; funds transfers and checks deposited by mobile device or mail do not constitute direct deposits.Payment of Bonus. If the qualifications described above are met, the $150 bonus will be credited to your account within 91 to 104 days of account opening, provided that your account remains open and is not overdrawn or subject to any holds, restrictions, or legal action or dispute on the bonus payment date.Limited Time Offer. This promotional offer is available for a limited time and may end without notice.General Account Terms and Requirements. The Annual Percentage Yield (APY) for the Interest Checking account depends on the balance in the account. Effective as of 6/17/2016, APYs are as follows: For balances from $0 to $1,499.99, the APY is 0.05%; for balances of $1,500 to $9,999.99, the APY is 0.10%; for balances from $10,000 to $24,999.99, the APY is 0.10%; for balances from $25,000 to $99,999.99, the APY is 0.15% and for balances of $100,000 or more, the APY is 0.15%. All rates are variable and subject to change without notice before or after the account is opened. Interest is compounded daily, based on the rate in effect at the end of the day. The minimum opening deposit for an Interest Checking account is $100, which must be made within 60 days of account opening or the account may be closed. Fees could reduce earnings on the account.=11.2px2 TIAA Direct will automatically reimburse up to $15 in ATM usage fees each statement cycle if you're charged a fee for using your TIAA Direct Debit or ATM card at U.S. ATMs outside of the MoneyPass® or SUM® networks. This reimbursement will appear as a single credit on your monthly statement, applied on the last day of your statement cycle. MoneyPass is a registered service mark of Elan Financial Services. SUM is a trademark of NYCE Payments Network, LLC.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I didn't receive an email notifying me of anything, but after this thread got bumped I checked my account today. Receive... (more)

irate_retro (Dec. 28, 2016 @ 7:14p) |

Guess you don't use Chase or Gmail either?  Every time I log in to chase on another machine I either need to verify a co... (more)

Bend3r (Dec. 28, 2016 @ 8:59p) |

Chase occasionally makes me enter an access code, but they let you receive it via email...  no problem there, just switc... (more)

irate_retro (Dec. 28, 2016 @ 9:38p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can you fund with a CC?

CheapBustard said:   Can you fund with a CC?Magic 8 ball says "no".

CheapBustard said:   Can you fund with a CC?
  No CC funding on this one.

HP? Does ACH qualify?

I got "There was an error processing your application. Please call blah, blah, blah. When calling, mention reference # blah, blah, blah."

Has anybody gotten that message from this bank before this promo? If so, what buffoonery did you experience when speaking to a CSR?

fohalica said:   I got "There was an error processing your application. Please call blah, blah, blah. When calling, mention reference # blah, blah, blah."

Has anybody gotten that message from this bank before this promo? If so, what buffoonery did you experience when speaking to a CSR?

Got it a few months ago. Not really worth the trouble. Probably have a auto # of chex inquiries blacklist they don't want to be upfront about and want to continue fraudulently advertising.

I have a TIAA savings account which is quite old.(noticed it's paying 1.11%) I kept $250 in the acct just to keep it open in case they had a good offer come along. Now I'm wondering if this checking offer would be worth the time & effort. $150 + having to do a DD $2500. Just a thought.

pattyB said:   I have a TIAA savings account which is quite old.(noticed it's paying 1.11%) I kept $250 in the acct just to keep it open in case they had a good offer come along. Now I'm wondering if this checking offer would be worth the time & effort. $150 + having to do a DD $2500. Just a thought.

1.11% is a great rate! Does your TIAA savings have a maximum amount allowed for deposits?

Does ACH count as Direct Deposit for this deal?

You never know how what each establishment will count as DD. I've decided to skip this one! To me, it's not worth the trouble, $150 + having to do $2500 DD.

Any hard pull? or soft pull

Thanks but may pass as payoff seems low for the effort, comparatively...

invisible said:   Any hard pull? or soft pull

Thanks but may pass as payoff seems low for the effort, comparatively...

No hard pull when I opened a checking about April. Don't know about softs. I do have quite a few Chex inquiries, but there were none within the last six months when I applied. Recent Chex inquiries can bite you, but one bank I once tried to open an account counted them all and then showed me the door.

Is this $150 worth the effort if I can only rely on $2,500 ACH crap shoot?

BrunoB said:   
pattyB said:   I have a TIAA savings account which is quite old.(noticed it's paying 1.11%) I kept $250 in the acct just to keep it open in case they had a good offer come along. Now I'm wondering if this checking offer would be worth the time & effort. $150 + having to do a DD $2500. Just a thought.
1.11% is a great rate! Does your TIAA savings have a maximum amount allowed for deposits?

Where are you folks seeing 1.11% for TIAA bank savings accounts?  The current advertised rates are:

High Yield Savings 0.70%
Interest Checking 0.05%-0.15%
Money Market 0.65%-0.90%

https://www.tiaadirect.com/public/banking/bank

pattyB said:   You never know how what each establishment will count as DD. I've decided to skip this one! To me, it's not worth the trouble, $150 + having to do $2500 DD.

Most millionaires don't read threads about $150.

Anyone get their $150 yet?

it's 2500 in 90 days and then the $150 hopefully witihin 90 days (not sure if it's 90 days from account opening or 90 days from meeting the 2500 DD

mill99 said:   
pattyB said:   You never know how what each establishment will count as DD. I've decided to skip this one! To me, it's not worth the trouble, $150 + having to do $2500 DD.

First of all, you are wrong.

And even for people that are not, you cannot get to $1MM without getting $150 first.

hfzeus said:   
mill99 said:   

And even for people that are not, you cannot get to $1MM without getting $150 first.

I agree with you in spirit (I even gave red to mill, because that's juts a ridiculous thing to say with no basis), but most people don't read threads about $150, let alone millionaires. Even if there is a higher proportion of millionaires on FWF than in the general population, I'm sure most millionaires are not on here at all.

BingBlangBlaow said:   
hfzeus said:   
mill99 said:   

I agree with you in spirit (I even gave red to mill, because that's juts a ridiculous thing to say with no basis), but most people don't read threads about $150, let alone millionaires. Even if there is a higher proportion of millionaires on FWF than in the general population, I'm sure most millionaires are not on here at all.

"people" don't read $150?? Have you seen the 50+ green a sandwich offer gets for a discount amounting to less than $1.50

SinglePapa said:     "people" don't read $150?? Have you seen the 50+ green a sandwich offer gets for a discount amounting to less than $1.50
  I said most people. We are in the minority here on FW. Most of my friends and family wouldn't even know what FW is.

BingBlangBlaow said:   
SinglePapa said:     "people" don't read $150?? Have you seen the 50+ green a sandwich offer gets for a discount amounting to less than $1.50
  I said most people. We are in the minority here on FW. Most of my friends and family wouldn't even know what FW is.

Many of mine - do. Because I spread good news around.
Outrageous deal posts are discouraged, albeit. FW has long given up niche leadership, and it's losing readership. For years, it takes me minutes instead of seconds to post due to a certain mechanism. I may stop posting altogether, what can I tell you

Statement just cut, got an email notification, logged into my account and saw the $150 bonus had posted on 11/16. Totally forgot about this. Nice little holiday surprise.

Employer DDs both over $2500 each posted on 9/8 and 9/9 (didn't intend for both to go, but got paid out vaca days the day after my paycheck hit). I did not do ACH, just employer DD.

TIAA = another bank I hate. Got rejected for "too many" chexS inquires.

VivYip said:   it's 2500 in 90 days and then the $150 hopefully witihin 90 days (not sure if it's 90 days from account opening or 90 days from meeting the 2500 DD

fwiw, I just received the bonus. I used real DD from employer.

when did you open the account?

VivYip said:   
VivYip said:   it's 2500 in 90 days and then the $150 hopefully witihin 90 days (not sure if it's 90 days from account opening or 90 days from meeting the 2500 DD

stehigs said:   
VivYip said:   

Within days of my first post in this thread. (I think they based the posting of the bonus on the day the qualifying DD hit.)

I didn't receive an email notifying me of anything, but after this thread got bumped I checked my account today. Received the $150 back on 12/16. Did my "DD" on 9/21, which was just an ACH transfer from TDAmeritrade.

Yay, now I can close that godforsaken account. I refuse to do business with any company that requires me to carry around a friggin phone just to log into my account from a computer whenever I please.  What the hell kind of name is TIAA anyway, and why would teachers know anything about having money.  God I am so sick of this account.

irate_retro said:   I didn't receive an email notifying me of anything, but after this thread got bumped I checked my account today. Received the $150 back on 12/16. Did my "DD" on 9/21, which was just an ACH transfer from TDAmeritrade.

Yay, now I can close that godforsaken account. I refuse to do business with any company that requires me to carry around a friggin phone just to log into my account from a computer whenever I please.  What the hell kind of name is TIAA anyway, and why would teachers know anything about having money.  God I am so sick of this account.

Guess you don't use Chase or Gmail either?  Every time I log in to chase on another machine I either need to verify a code from email or phone.  In order to login to Gmail/google account from a new device, it requires verifying from a text message to the other phone.

Incidentally, I just logged into TIAA (not checking, retirement account) and didn't need a phone, but I may have an active cookie.

Bend3r said:   Guess you don't use Chase or Gmail either?  Every time I log in to chase on another machine I either need to verify a code from email or phone.  In order to login to Gmail/google account from a new device, it requires verifying from a text message to the other phone.

Chase occasionally makes me enter an access code, but they let you receive it via email...  no problem there, just switch tabs and check your email.  TIAA does not give you that option.  And for whatever reason, TIAA makes me wait for an SMS and type the darn code every time I log in.  Which, admittedly, is only 1-2 times per month.  So when they pull that crap I have to go searching through my house looking for this darned pocket noisemaker.  And if I'm sitting in a hotel room with my laptop in a city without cell service, well I guess I'm just SOL, no need for me to access my bank account, right?  After hours, too, so I couldn't even make a voice call to TIAA to resolve it.  Not that I should have to!

Gmail has never bothered me with a phone number, not once.  They actually use quite sophisticated heuristics to decide if you're legit, many of which you'll never see.  They are way ahead of the game.  (I only know this because my last consulting project was getting around these restrictions.)  And even if you're logging in from Timbuktu on a new device, you can always answer other questions.  Or just enter your phone number when it asks (but no SMS needs to be sent).

I'm not against two-factor authentication.  I'm against being forced to carry the phone with no other options, that's all there is to my complaint.  Like I'm some kind of SMS-addicted freaking teenager who can't be away from his damned toy device for 2 seconds.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017