Tuition 2.4% CC service fee?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My university's  third-party vendor, Nelnet assesses a 2.4% service fee. Are there any current  3rd party ways to avoid this fee?  

Thought about the Money order route but Chase  doesn't  give points for that right? Need to spend 3K in the next few days...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No, and good luck finding a place which will sell you a money order with CC. Two options: decide the bonus is worth the fee and pay it or find some other way to meet the spend.

Next time, don't wait until the last few days to plan your spending.

doveroftke said:   No, and good luck finding a place which will sell you a money order with CC. Two options: decide the bonus is worth the fee and pay it or find some other way to meet the spend.

I know of some places in my area that will sell MOs. Problem is chase. 

Any other  quasi cash recommendations?  Low fee tax payments?

might just overpay some bill and get refund later... Any big companies that allow that (USAA used to but can't today )

needhelpplease said:   My university's  third-party vendor, Nelnet assesses a 2.4% service fee. Are there any current  3rd party ways to avoid this fee?  

Thought about the Money order route but Chase  doesn't  give points for that right? Need to spend 3K in the next few days...

Answer is almost self-evident. You need 3K spend and you have an outstanding tuition payment. Do it! Note: 2.4% is not exactly 2.4% - you are earning at least 1% from the credit card. Plus you have free use of the money for a month [that benefit may be few pennies in interest ].

Also - what is the tuition amount? If substantially above 3K, may want to pay the amount above 3K with a different method.

needhelpplease said:   My university's third-party vendor, Nelnet assesses a 2.4% service fee.how much do they charge for debit cards?

fund a new brokerage account?

pillsdoughboy1 said:   fund a new brokerage account?

Which ones all CC funding? Does Chase code it as cash??

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017