• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Is Quora a financially viable website (it has some serious backers) or another glorified time-waster Q&A forum?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Quora at it's core has a very high margin business model. The site doesn't need new content(users generate content) and ... (more)

fourchar (Sep. 20, 2016 @ 1:47a) |

I haven't tried their Financial forum yet but I wonder how theirs compare with that of FatWallet's?

ToddC (Sep. 20, 2016 @ 3:33a) |

Any reason Hillary Clinton’s IT guy went to Reddit but did not go to Quora (or FatWallet Technology, for that matter) fo... (more)

Rerun (Sep. 20, 2016 @ 5:55p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was curious about the financial implications if the Hoover Dam were to break and I got the answer I wanted from Quora.

Qcumber - careful with searches like these...
You could have the suits dropping in for a friendly chat

Nah, I just watched the movie "San Andreas" and Alexandra Daddario is great.

I would say no based on the quality of the website. It always shows within the first few search results for anything I look for, and from previous interactions I have learned to ignore it (same with the other mylife.com results). People have can determine really quick which sites are crappy and avoid them. Quora already falls in that spot.

I avoid it like the plague .... hate it ...

BrunoB said:   Is Quora a financially viable website (it has some serious backers) or another glorified time-waster Q&A forum?
What's your opinion?

There are no ads and no ways to spend money on it.

jayK said:   
BrunoB said:   Is Quora a financially viable website (it has some serious backers) or another glorified time-waster Q&A forum?
What's your opinion?

Judging from its name it's a non-starter!

They began testing ads on some questions earlier this year I heard. They've also raised like $150 million in funding over the years. I think they get about 100 million visitors a month. That gets you a lot of leeway from investors.

Just how many of you knew facebook was going to hit it big?

I'm not so sure if Quora site is viable based on financing because I have been reading negative implications about it.

I get a lot more hits from Yahoo Answers in my general searches. You get more hits from Quora if you search for stuff like Riemann Hypothesis.

It's like reddit, but more professional/formal/mature audience in my opinion. There are many esoteric/niche topics being discussed that you won't find discussed elsewhere unless it's a forum specializing on that topic.

For the specialized topics that I know a lot about, Quora answers seem completely clueless. This tells me not to trust it for topics I have no knowledge on...

Also note about 40% of Quora users are from India as of January 2016, which is highly skewed. They have been around since early 2010. Peter Thiel and Adam D'Angelo are 2 big backers. Peter Thiel has mixed results, and Adam D'Angelo, well, you know.

GoldenSacks said:   Peter Thiel has mixed results, and Adam D'Angelo, well, you know.
  I do?

I always get useless answers there at best. I avoid it when it comes as a search result.

I think Quora is a great site and participate quite a bit there. I have no idea how they make money.

tightpapa said:   GoldenSacks said:   Peter Thiel has mixed results, and Adam D'Angelo, well, you know.
  I do?

If you don't, ask Quora.

Quora at it's core has a very high margin business model. The site doesn't need new content(users generate content) and doesn't host video or images so costs to run it are low. I'm sure they are burning 10x the cash they need to run/develop it right now if not more because that's the current climate.

Slap ads on it and run it with a bare bones staff and it will make plenty of profit. Might not live up to a valuation investors assigned it but it will certainly still be worth something.

I haven't tried their Financial forum yet but I wonder how theirs compare with that of FatWallet's?

Any reason Hillary Clinton’s IT guy went to Reddit but did not go to Quora (or FatWallet Technology, for that matter) for the following questions?:
The expert hired to delete Hillary Clinton’s e-mails — who invoked his Fifth Amendment right not to testify before Congress — pleaded for help from the tech community how to do the job, according to a report Tuesday.“Hello all,” said a 2014 post on reddit by someone identifying himself as stonetear.“I may be facing a very interesting situation where I need to strip out a VIP’s (VERY VIP) email address from a bunch of archived email that I have both in a live Exchange mailbox, as well as a PST file. Basically, they don’t want the VIP’s email address exposed to anyone.”The post concludes, “Does anyone have experience with something like this, and/or suggestions on how this might be accomplished?”
Another one reads: “I have a client who wants to push out a 60 day email retention policy for certain users … How would I go about this?”
The posts have since been deleted.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017