• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am first time home buyer trying to make a offer on a new build at OH in a area which is prone for Radon as per EPA map. Its a inventory home which will complete in next 2 months. I asked builder to include Radon testing as contingency he refused and said there is no builder in Ohio who can offer that . However they mentioned house is equipped with passive Radon system , I am not comfortable signing the contract† without that contingency as I will be exposed to risk. Please help if any one had similar experience with new construction houses where builder refusing to add Radon testing in contingencies.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If the house has a good passive system built in when new, it only needs an electric fan and system failure sensor to be ... (more)

Shandril (Sep. 27, 2016 @ 9:21a) |

Long-term exposure to low†levels of radon increases life expectancy.

xoneinax (Sep. 27, 2016 @ 5:54p) |

I know a radiologist who swears that regular exposure to low levels of radioactivity kills cancer cells. †I guess he nev... (more)

Crazytree (Sep. 28, 2016 @ 1:11a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Just do it.

That's what my agent says

Details on the passive radon system would be good to know. If it is all put in with under-slab piping, sealed sump pump and whatever else is appropriate and is just waiting for a fan to be added to make it active, then I'd take that bet. Adding a fan isn't that big of a deal.

Putting in piping under the slab and sometimes some sump pump work can get pricey.

I don't know what a radon testing contingency is... so maybe the above is meaningless. Are you making an offer contingent on low radon? That might make sense for you and not make sense for the seller if he can find someone else to buy without the contingency.

Make sure they do the under the slab passive right and add wiring in the attic to make it active if needed, once you fill in the relief cuts in the basement with backer rod and self leveling compund and seal the sump and any other places it might leak air then it might be good. †If not then you get a radon fan from supply house with the right 3in to 4in or 4in to 4in couplings along with a condensation bypass and hook it up. †That will cost about 200 and the electrical should be under 200 as well. †If you have a flood proof basement then you probably will be good but don't skimp on the passive pipe or it will be a lot more to remediate if needed.

Some options to consider
Fan
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-HP190-HP-Series-Inline-Radon-...
Power Cord
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cord-Kit-6-foot/dp/B0029O82Y6
Couplings - will need one set to the fan + 1 to the condensation bypass or you can glue that on
3 to 3
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-1056-33-3-x-3-Flexible-Couplin...
3 to 4
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-1056-43-4-x-3-Flexible-Couplin...
4 to 4
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-1056-44-4-x-4-Flexible-Couplin...
Condensation Bypass
3in
https://www.amazon.com/FanGuard-Radon-Fan-Condensate-Bypass/dp/B008D7KYXA
4in
https://www.amazon.com/FanGuard-Radon-Fan-Condensate-Bypass/dp/B008D7KXYK
Manometer - to monitor
https://www.amazon.com/RadonAway-50017-Easy-Read-Manometer/dp/B00HYZ28I6

Radon Meter from Amazon†- 10 year lifespan
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2VOSP8

Disclaimer:
I have only provided you options for a solution and not a solution for your home. †You can consult a radon mitigation professional if you are wary. †I could have had the fan installed for $600 but I DIY for $200. †I have a continus test running and I dropped levels to .3-.5 from 3-4to10. †Average outdoor is .4.

Thanks for the responses, this part of country Radon test contingency is common and I was surprised builders are not allowing that in contract. I will try to renegotiate with the builder .

Radon is like mold.† It exists all over the place and we come into contact with it around every corner.† Yet when we start reading disclosure documents we freak out.† I'd be much more worried about the HOA or the interest rate on my loan.

Sue the builder if you get cancer in 10 years, but hopefully it will have been cured by then.

You can perform (and pay for) the test before you sign the purchase contract. If the results are good enough, you can then sign the purchase contract without the contingency if the home hasn't already been sold.

Or, you could move on.

jamesboy said:   Radon is like mold.† It exists all over the place and we come into contact with it around every corner.† Yet when we start reading disclosure documents we freak out.† I'd be much more worried about the HOA or the interest rate on my loan.

Radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer. † †You can't say anything nearly that bad about mold as far as I know.

If radon exists in high amounts then its a serious health risk.
OP lives in an area that is at risk for radon. †
Most people don't have to worry about radon. † †But if you're' in a high risk area you should test for it and remediate.

How do I know if I have radon? If I have "radon removal" company come out I am sure I will "Need" one... Kinda like have the Culligan man check your water for hardness, you'll need a softener for sure.

Definitely feel that there are a lot of unscrupulous companies out there.

jerosen said:   
jamesboy said:   Radon is like mold.† It exists all over the place and we come into contact with it around every corner.† Yet when we start reading disclosure documents we freak out.† I'd be much more worried about the HOA or the interest rate on my loan.

Radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer.†† †You can't say anything nearly that bad about mold as far as I know.

If radon exists in high amounts then its a serious health risk.
OP lives in an area that is at risk for radon. †
Most people don't have to worry about radon. † †But if you're' in a high risk area you should test for it and remediate.

Even if you are not in a high risk area and have a newer home with a basement you should test because they are built so tight these days. †In the past it wasn't as much of a factor because homes would vent it out but now they are sealed well. †If you smoked or were a smoker the risks of cancer are up to 6 times non smokers. †

https://www.epa.gov/radon/health-risk-radon

You're the customer, if you don't get what you want walk. The builder has to sell that house, you don't have to buy it.

letsspendlotsofmoney said:   How do I know if I have radon? If I have "radon removal" company come out I am sure I will "Need" one... Kinda like have the Culligan man check your water for hardness, you'll need a softener for sure.

Definitely feel that there are a lot of unscrupulous companies out there.

††

You can get a simple home test kit for about $11.

letsspendlotsofmoney said:   Kinda like have the Culligan man check your water for hardness, you'll need a softener for sure.

Hard water doesn't cause cancer, although the Culligan man may say it does.

It sounds like builder probably followed Radon-resistant construction techniques including the preinstallation of the passive vent that would only require the addition of a powered air pump to make it an active mitigation system - these are a few hundred dollars to a grand in most cases depending on sizing.

https://www.epa.gov/radon/radon-resistant-construction-basics-an...

read that

Can you get access to the house and then again about 4 days later before you sign? I would get a test sample kit and do a sample in the basement, and upstairs. Extra points if you can put leave them undetected over a weekend when the house doors and windows are likely to be closed. It takes a few days for the mail to get them to a lab, but they usually email the results upon receipt. Anything roughly over 4 pCi/L is a danger sign that mediation is needed.

I once had a house that was crazy off the charts for radon. The bottom of the furnace was missing and there was a hole in the slab in the same spot for some reason, perhaps to let condensate drain away. In effect the furnace fan acted as a massive radon fan, sucking everything out of the ground into the house. After filling the hole and replacing the furnace, the level dropped so much that the mitigation system was not needed.

qcumber98 said:   If you can see this, then you have radon.
††

Not sure that anybody will give you a Rodan contingency.

I can understand him not wanting to take it off the market for 2 months then test comes back bad and 1) you walk 2) he now has to disclose radon problem to future buyers

What about a generic inspection contingency, and just don't mention the radon test as being part of it?

Possible compromise: If they are already putting in the passive, get a cost for the upgrade to active and pay for it, contingent on the house passing testing.

They probably don't want to give you the contingency because they know it will fail, and I'm also betting 1/2 of the people buying from them don't care.

Generic inspection contingency is already there. However doing Radon testing later will not help me because I would have already signed contract and I have to pay for any further mitigation.

Czechmeout said:   
They probably don't want to give you the contingency because they know it will fail

This. The builder already knows the result.

megaFat said:   Generic inspection contingency is already there. However doing Radon testing later will not help me because I would have already signed contract and I have to pay for any further mitigation.
so...why do it later? just get the radon test during the inspection period....and if it's bad - walk. what are we missing?

Unless RADON is specifically included as clause builder is not liable to fix the Radon problem. "Radon Readings Clause - if radon readings exceed the EPA action level of 4.0 pCi/L, Seller, at Sellerís expense, agrees to professionally mitigate the radon levels to a reading below 4.0 pCi/L prior to the closing date of this property" . If I sign the contract without that clause builder has no liability to fix it.

Builder prob. doesn't want to be on record as knowing that there is Radon at all. If you discover it and drop out that's one thing. If they pay for a test and discover the results that's another.

OP: Fan is only a few hundred $. If you can't afford that and HAVE to have THIS house, you cannot afford to be buying any house. Have the test run and make up your mind and pay for it yourself.

PS: Do NOT worry about what agent says, they are all liars and only concerned about their commissions and could care if you and your entire family die of cancer.

tightpapa said:   Ohio radon map
††

Just looked at that map for my home state and county and we are in a "red" zone, however when the test was done before I bought the house, the test came in at well under 1, so YMMV greatly.

Just offer 1k less than you planned for future mitigation and testing.

Mickie3 said:   
††

Just looked at that map for my home state and county and we are in a "red" zone, however when the test was done before I bought the house, the test came in at well under 1, so YMMV greatly.

††
Tests can be fudged. If you spend a lot of time down there, test again.

qcumber98 said:   If you can see this, then you have radon.
Attachment 1 to the builder's radon disclosure.

megaFat said:   Unless RADON is specifically included as clause builder is not liable to fix the Radon problem. "Radon Readings Clause - if radon readings exceed the EPA action level of 4.0 pCi/L, Seller, at Sellerís expense, agrees to professionally mitigate the radon levels to a reading below 4.0 pCi/L prior to the closing date of this property" . If I sign the contract without that clause builder has no liability to fix it.
i wasn't suggesting that the builder mitigate as part of the inspection response....just that it gives the buyer an opportunity to check for radon and walk if he/she so chooses, without consequence.

CowbellMaster said:   
Mickie3 said:   
††

††

††

That is why I had two different test kids bought two different places and sent to two different labs performed. †Amazingly enough, they were within ~ .004 of each other, even though they were placed in different areas of basement.

Mickie3 said:   
CowbellMaster said:   
Mickie3 said:   
††

††

††

That is why I had two different test kids bought two different places and sent to two different labs performed. †Amazingly enough, they were within ~ .004 of each other, even though they were placed in different areas of basement.

Where did you get the kids to do this??😇

Looks like I'm the first to post this, so I'll probably get bashed for it, but based on a lot of Googling I did on the subject years ago (we've moved a few times and at least one of the houses we bought already had a radon mitigation fan installed), I'm of the opinion that the Radon scare is mostly a money grab. As a homeowner I'd test for it and probably put a system in (and hopefully have the seller cover the cost), but I personally wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The scientific studies I read looked pretty sketchy. Google "Radon scam", do some reading, and come to your own conclusions.

tightpapa said:   
Mickie3 said:   
CowbellMaster said:   
Mickie3 said:   
††

††

††

Where did you get the kids to do this??😇

††

Got them off-shore, where all the other cheap labor comes from.†

Seriously, the DIY kiTs came from HD and Lowe$, IIRC.† Bought another one at Menyards a year or so later and results were unchanged, so figure its reasonably what the labs say it is.

Skipping 11 Messages...
xoneinax said:   
jerosen said:   Counter argument about radon danger :
† Long-term exposure to low†levels of radon increases life expectancy.

† I know a radiologist who swears that regular exposure to low levels of radioactivity kills cancer cells. †I guess he never saw Repo Man.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017