• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
I refinanced through SoFi about a year ago when my credit was around 750 and had other debt. The 4.825% variable 15 year rate that I got seemed okay. This rate is after the 0.25% autopay discount.

A year later, I have around a 825 credit score and paid off all credit card debt. I tried to get a new quote from SoFi and others but I get a similar 4.825% rate after the auto pay discount.

I owe over 100k but also make the same amount as the debt in annual comp. How can I get the lower rate which is around 3.4-4.0% for a 15 year variable according to the website?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Higher income, longer credit history, etc. Sofi specifically also uses things like your savings, your cash flow, ability to pay non-credit bills and your future earnings.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/personal-loans/sofi-challenges...

Keep in mind they have their own proprietary scoring model. They don't even use your FICO score so it going up doesn't matter per se (but things that drive it up are likely correlated with factors they see as positive).

Have you called and asked them why you don't qualify for the lowest rate?

How much unsecured debt can you take on?  Apporamma at 0% and put all your expenses for the year on the card and pay 20k a year off that debt. Rinse and repeat for 4-5 more years should save you 5k or so.  Cash in on signup bonuses along the way to make another 5k, Chase n Amex are good places.

Sofi already has you as a customer, they have no incentive to lower your rates... the same way that you only get a raise by jumping employers, you only get a refi reduction by jumping lenders, try CommonBond if you havent.  I've been at both and much prefer CommonBond's customer service.  I got a 1.9% variable 5 yr when I was 4% at SoFi 10 yr variable.

I also owed 6 figures and loans were around 1.1x annual income; also had 800 credit score and no other debt.

They gotta get some juice on these loans since their avenues for collection of unpaid balances are somewhat restricted.

If you are in their footprint First Republic Bank has better rates.

Try DRB as well, they gave me the lowest rate. In general, interest rates are higher this year than last year due to the LIBOR.

I've been with Sofi, then DRB, and now First Republic (finally on a 10-year fixed at 2.95%). Shop around a bit. I agree that they've already got you locked in so there's no incentive to keep you. When I got an offer from FR I gave DRB a chance to match it (I was at 3.1% variable with them) and they refused, so I jumped ship. Keep shopping.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016