• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
Hey guys,
Long time lurker. Had an account many years ago but don't remember the username or email.

Well, here goes:
A couple of years ago my student loan kicked in and went out of deferment. I would have been able to defer the loan, but due to me missing deadlines and several other issues of whichever aren't important to my question, it didn't happen.

So, of course, I have defaulted (and they are in collections).

However, now, I have a job that will pay off my student loans, IF they aren't in default.

Is there anyway to get my loans out of default? They are private, not federal, loans.

Thanks so much for any help or any direction you may be able to point me in. Thank you

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Whatever your lender tells you, get it in writing. If they are private loans, I think I've heard of lenders saying "oh just 6 months more of payments" etc. forever to get out of default. There nearly has to be SOME way to do it, if they leave it completely up to their discretion, try to pin them down. At least you have something to go to the CFPB with about how they violated their own policy or determination. Why on earth aren't defaulted loans paid? Does this go up to the whole scheme where the lender gets reimbursed anyway upon default from govt/insurance, I bet?

need more info.
amount (roughly)
how far behind

as far as i know, once you've paid up so you're current, you're not in default. that's how it worked for me anyway. there was no special set of hoops to jump through. is there another definition i'm not aware of?

better yet, what does your loan document say about default?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016