Home Warranty in Tx

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Any suggestion for a good home warranty service. Bought a home and seller is providing $500 credit towards home warranty so have to buy one.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why? To me, home warranties aren't worth it (unless you believe you may need it in a year). Keep the money and use it for something else unless you have to use the money only for a home warranty.

I had the same offer when I bought my home, and I left it on the table. I still get doom-and-gloom junkmail from warranty companies on a regular basis.

The only repair I've had is a $140 electrical part for the central AC. I think it's more hassle than it's worth for warranty.

I gotta disagree.  I just bought a home in Fort Worth, and it came with a warranty from American home Shield.  I've only owned the home for a month, and I've had a service call for a drain stoppage, the icemaker not working and the stove not working.

The stoppage was the result of some workman in the past allowing a PVC knockout to fall into the pipes.  For $75, I got an initial cleanout, a two hour session with a camera and a power flushout of the system, all of which woulda cost me well over $750 had I had to pay for it.

The stove could be said to be my fault, since I didn't properly check the thing before I closed on the house.  Nonetheless, for $75, a guy came out and did all the work, bought all the parts, installed and tested.  I prolly couldn't have done it cheaper myself.

The fridge I bought 2nd hand after I closed on the house, and when i hooked it up to water, I found that the icemaker didn't work.  Again, for $75, a guy came out and did all the work, bought all the parts, installed and tested.  Again, I prolly couldn't have done it cheaper myself, and of course there is the fact that I didn't have to do it at all.

On the downside, it seems that workmen schedule calls from AHS as the bottom priority.  The plumbing thing took well over a week to resolve, and each of the appliance repairs took more than one visit.

So I've gotten more than my money's worth, and I've only had the home for a month.  Obviously YMMV, but if your seller is gonna pay for it, you'd be silly to not take it.....

Home warranties are generally a bad deal, but if you are getting money that can only be used on one, by all means go for it. I had an AHS warranty supplied by a seller and got many thousands of dollars paid out in one year for plumbing (incl. water heater), HVAC replacement (used own contractor), and several kitchen appliances. I also received a letter that they would not renew my policy after one year, lol. Nearly all of these claims would never have been paid without persistence and direct escalation to their executive team. Caveat emptor and read the fine print.

One Guard is the best I've ever used.

I'm in Houston and just had the exact same situation, seller credit of $500 towards home warranty. I went with Old Republic -- I see no reason not to if it is being paid for by the seller.

Yes, you could never use it -- but if it is there -- and you remember, you probably will. You do need to know your policy if it is something expensive, take the 30 minutes to really review what everything says before you talk to them.

Horseymen said:   One Guard is the best I've ever used.
Agreed, if you go with someone, go with them. 

For about $500 you should be able to get a "Systems" plan. Might as well use the money they are giving you. 

We had American Home Shield for our house for 12 months. It's kind of hit or miss.
One of our beverage fridges broke, and it took about 6 months to get it replaced. If you are persistent, you might get a pay off from the warranty. I imagine a lot of people would give up after calling for the 20th, 30th, 40th time to AH to find out the status of a claim.

I believe that the realty company usually gets a cut of the home warranty business.  Realtors seem to have gotten a lot more aggressive in recent years in offering and asking for it.  In fact, Berkshire Hathaway is not only buying up a lot realty companies, they also have a home warranty company.  Is that what they mean by synergy? 

NEDeals said:   Home warranties are generally a bad deal, but if you are getting money that can only be used on one, by all means go for it. I had an AHS warranty supplied by a seller and got many thousands of dollars paid out in one year for plumbing (incl. water heater), HVAC replacement (used own contractor), and several kitchen appliances. I also received a letter that they would not renew my policy after one year, lol. Nearly all of these claims would never have been paid without persistence and direct escalation to their executive team. Caveat emptor and read the fine print.
  Wow you got money out of AHS, usually they try to $75 you to death with multiple visits where the vendor does the minimum possible.

How did you do it?

forbin4040 said:     Wow you got money out of AHS, usually they try to $75 you to death with multiple visits where the vendor does the minimum possible.

How did you do it?

My neighbor went through this, but I don't recall which warranty service was doing the torturing.

honkinggoose said:   I believe that the realty company usually gets a cut of the home warranty business.  Realtors seem to have gotten a lot more aggressive in recent years in offering and asking for it.  In fact, Berkshire Hathaway is not only buying up a lot realty companies, they also have a home warranty company.  Is that what they mean by synergy? 

Real estate people usually get a commission for your buying a home warranty through them, from what I recall.  

Read that as:  They get more $$$ from the sale and could give a rat's ass if a warranty is a good thing for you or not, as long as their pocket gets a few more $$$.

Thank you for the suggestions. Looks like OneGuard sounds good coverage. I couldn't understand what they mean by they cover carpet and window cleaning covered in Centurion plan.

Are they going to come and clean carpets for us

Old Republic vs One Guard ????

forbin4040 said:   
NEDeals said:   Home warranties are generally a bad deal, but if you are getting money that can only be used on one, by all means go for it. I had an AHS warranty supplied by a seller and got many thousands of dollars paid out in one year for plumbing (incl. water heater), HVAC replacement (used own contractor), and several kitchen appliances. I also received a letter that they would not renew my policy after one year, lol. Nearly all of these claims would never have been paid without persistence and direct escalation to their executive team. Caveat emptor and read the fine print.
  Wow you got money out of AHS, usually they try to $75 you to death with multiple visits where the vendor does the minimum possible.

How did you do it?

He already said:
NEDeals said: Nearly all of these claims would never have been paid without persistence and direct escalation to their executive team.

Which matches my experience too, I was never able to claim my HVAC replacement AFTER a lot of hassle.  (particularly because I put in a much nicer replacement system after they refused the claim for "bad design" -- and it really WAS a bad design, part of my cost was fixing the design issue)

I received a followup a few years later, I gather there was a lawsuit.  Thing was it really WAS a design issue, there was only a filter if my closet door was closed.  The AC company was out of business so it would have been a much bigger PITA than I was willing to deal. 

to OP, if this is your first home and seller is paying for it, I would purchase it. American Home Shield is the company I went with. Once you realize it's not worth your money, don't renew year 2, you'll figure things out.

NIKE284 said:   to OP, if this is your first home and seller is paying for it, I would purchase it. American Home Shield is the company I went with. Once you realize it's not worth your money, don't renew year 2, you'll figure things out.
  Alternately, you can cancel within 30 days after close for a 100% refund.
But, don't do what I did and realize that up front and then end up not cancelling it.
$700 wasted .

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017